Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ceramic Coat Bare Steel Pipes?

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coat Bare Steel Pipes?

I'm looking at an all blacked out build. Is it better to ceramic coat the bare steel pipes and avoid the stainless upgrade charge, or is ceramic coating the SS somehow better in the long run? Also, anyone know what the ballpark cost to ceramic coat pipes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    I'm looking at an all blacked out build. Is it better to ceramic coat the bare steel pipes and avoid the stainless upgrade charge, or is ceramic coating the SS somehow better in the long run? Also, anyone know what the ballpark cost to ceramic coat pipes?
    I had originally planned to coat mine and was quoted $550.00 to do them. I can't answer your other question about stainless vs. raw steel. I bought Gas-N polished pipes that arrived last week - beautifully crafted! I'm not sure if Gas-N would sell you a set of un-polished pipes or not, but it may be an option for you if you're looking for something a little quieter than the FFR pipes.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been paying $300 to have sets of pipes ceramic coated. I had my own done is satin black for $250 but that was 10 years ago. I'm sure you can have stainless coated but I don't really know why you would use stainless if not polished.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my bare steel sidepipes & J-pipes ceramic coated a satin black for $490. Don’t know about the viability or extra benefit of ceramic coating stainless.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Reason to go stainless is that the coating gets damaged. With mild steel you will be repairing rust. With stainless you can use satin VHT exhaust paint to touch up with very little prep.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Full disclosure, second hand information about to be relayed:

About a year ago while I was trying to decide how to configure my build I researched the SS vs the coated steel. I read a number (ok, a few) accounts of ceramic coated steel pipes rusting out from the inside in 2-3 years. I don’t know the individual specifics such as local climate, bunches of short trips vs longer runs, how stored, etc,...but the accounts were enough to sway me toward SS.

So, for what it’s worth, .. no good firsthand info here, just a suggestion to do a bit more research with those that truly know the longevity of coated bare steel before you go that route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, as I said above I had my mild steel pipes ceramic coated 10+ years and 20-some thousand miles ago. Not rusted that I can tell.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been doing rattle can VHT black header paint (on stock ffr sidepipes) for several years (8+).

Touchups or respray every couple of years ($20).

No signs of rust (whatsoever).

I don't start the engine unless I'm going to get the water temp up to 180 (pretty fully warmed up).

Also have ffr supplied ceramic coated headers - no signs of rust whatsoever.

Southeastern US.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my FFR bare steel pipes ceramic coated (satin black) in early 2009.

After 7 years and 11,000 miles, the underside of the curved pipes exiting the body were "sand blasted" by small stones, sand, debris, etc. kicked up by the front tires.

Bottom of driver's side pipe:

I live along the Texas Gulf coast, 2 miles from a salt water bay. It's crazy humid here 350 days of the year. You could say this is a somewhat corrosive environment (but I'm not dealing with road salt in the winter).

About 18 months ago, I removed the pipes and went over them with a wire wheel to remove the coating and surface rust that had formed where the coating had chipped away. I painted them with VHT header paint (satin black). There's a heat-cycle process you go through to help cure the paint when you're done, so make sure to follow that if you go this route.

The pipes still look good after 18 months and ~1500 miles.

David
    Last edited by Cobradavid; 04-08-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    If they are powder coated black, with putting 3-5K miles per year on 'normal' roadways, are we looking at a long life for the $300-$500 paid to do them, or would it be just as effective using the VHT from the get go and freshening up every year or so?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had cerakote done a set of stainless motorcycle headers. Not at all impressed and in hindsight VHT would be just as good. I would advise that you make sure that if you are paying for ceramic, that it is actual ceramic and not paint with ceramic particles being called ceramic.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had my 4x1x4 headers ceramic coated in satin black for $270. This was inside and out. Outside only quote was $160. On the headers in particular, having the inside coated helps with heat, scavenging and longevity. Shop in Indianapolis that did it does a lot of work for Indy and NHRA teams. They claim a significant horsepower bump from coating the inside. We’ll see.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    I just had cerakote done a set of stainless motorcycle headers. Not at all impressed and in hindsight VHT would be just as good. I would advise that you make sure that if you are paying for ceramic, that it is actual ceramic and not paint with ceramic particles being called ceramic.
    Ditto on the Cerakote. Not impressed at all. 400 miles and $325.00 the lesser, I can already tell my bare steel FFR side pipes won't hold up to the constant sand blasting, stone dings, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Well, as I said above I had my mild steel pipes ceramic coated 10+ years and 20-some thousand miles ago. Not rusted that I can tell.

Jeff
    My apologies Jeff. Did not intend to insinuate you somehow didn’t know or were mistaken. Nothing but the highest regard for you, your knowledge, and support.
    Simply a poorly worded suggestion on my part that there were some accounts (for unclear reasons) of premature failure of mild steel pipes.
    No offense intended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 42Bfast View Post
    My apologies Jeff. Did not intend to insinuate you somehow didn’t know or were mistaken. Nothing but the highest regard for you, your knowledge, and support.
    Simply a poorly worded suggestion on my part that there were some accounts (for unclear reasons) of premature failure of mild steel pipes.
    No offense intended.
    No offense taken! You acknowledged posting second info, I simply followed up with first hand

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    We use Aesthetic Finishers in Piqua OH (937) 778-8777. They are a bit more expensive than others, however there work is immaculate and so far, very durable. Once or twice a year, they will run a special for FFR side pipes. I think we paid a little less than $275. They are normally around $400. If you have a specific concern, such as abrasion resistance, give them a call.

Chris
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried what is supposed to be a "high temp" ceramic coating. It started peeling almost immediately so my powder coater sandblasted it off. I used Rustoleum satin BBQ paint. After 6,000 miles they are still perfect. I have Drummer Mikes stainless heat sheilds and the paint worked on those as well. The only problem I've had is with dog slobber, be sure to wipe that off before starting the car.;-)

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbee to the FFR roadster scene.
    I've been waffleing about weather or not to get the FFR SS pipes or the mild steel.
    I have a few questions:

1) How is the quality of the FFR pipes regarding the welds?
    2) Are the SS pipes more dangerous than the mild steel as far as the potential to cause leg burns?
    3) Will ceramic coating the mild steel pipes reduce the severity and possibility of leg burns?
    Is ceramic coating the pipes worth the expense?
    4) I've read, in this thread about using VHT high temp spray paint on the mild steel pipes, I never thought of that.
    I didn't think the paint would hold up very well. How well does it hold up on the headers and 'J' pipes where the heat is
    most intense?
    Thanks in advance for your help with these questions.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    With the 50% off sale, I couldn't see a reason not to get the Stainless from FFR and then I can powder coat if I want later.