Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dash Vinyl Upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Vinyl Upgrade

Hey all. When it comes to the vinyl dash upgrade, I think its $295. Is there anyone else out there that makes dashes for the MK4 or are they all customized by the respective builder? I saw that someone had a carbon fiber dash, but wasn't sure if that was bought as is or fabricated. I wanted to review all of my options before paying for the upgrade. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pretty nice option from a supporting vendor:

http://www.bcconlinesales.com/moroda.html

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I essentially bonded/laminated real carbon fiber to my existing dash. FFR years ago use to sell one. If you are interested, PM me and I can tell you the source for the carbon fiber and what I did to cut/finish it.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    I essentially bonded/laminated real carbon fiber to my existing dash. FFR years ago use to sell one. If you are interested, PM me and I can tell you the source for the carbon fiber and what I did to cut/finish it.

Chris
    Thanks Chris. PM sent

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave (Papa) referenced the only aftermarket dash I'm aware of for these builds. Those are super nice, but kind of pricey and not vinyl obviously. I believe Factory Five used to have a carbon fiber dash option. But that was well before my time. The only ones I've seen were homemade. I've seen and worked with the optional Factory Five "upgraded" vinyl dash. Personally, I'm not a big fan of it. It's all plastic. Not just a pre-made version of the vinyl wrapped aluminum construction in the kit. The gauge and switch locations are all pre-made, and given the construction, not easily changed. It has a glovebox, which is nice. But the hinge construction is a little different, IMO, and if you're planning a heater, both won't fit. Don't get me wrong. Guys have used it and it turns out fine. Just be aware of what you're buying. I know from other threads you've posted (e.g. IRS) price is a concern, like for most of us. If you don't want to assemble the dash that comes with the kit, my advice would be to take it to an automotive interior shop and have them assemble it. Would be cheaper and IMO a more robust product when you're done. Plus you could more easily customize it. A real common option is to have the pre-cut aluminum dash substituted in the kit with the blank version. Then lay it out exactly the way you want. The .040 aluminum is real easy to work with.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    A real common option is to have the pre-cut aluminum dash substituted in the kit with the blank version. Then lay it out exactly the way you want. The .040 aluminum is real easy to work with.
    Thanks Ed. This is what I was thinking as well. I'd like all of the gauges to be more centralized.

Post Thanks / Like
    I covered my aluminum dash panel in automotive leather from ebay for about $60 - looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Initially I wasn't impressed with the vinyl dash, but now with the guages in, I like it a lot. Mind you, I didn't plan any layout changes, and only drilled three additional holes for switches. I think it looks great and doesn't feel cheap or flimsy IMO.
    2DDB7EE7-30CA-4C4D-B9A2-89264A10BEAB.jpeg
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a bit of information .I sent my blank dash to Gordon Levy .Had him do a competition layout with glove box . Came out great.

Post Thanks / Like
    And what was a price for that?