FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: E Brake Modification

Post Thanks / Like

E Brake Modification

In scanning these build threads I see a common complaint to the FFR e brake & cables. As a newbie, could someone explain the problem and point me in the right direction please?

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on the rear brake set up. Basically the routing for the cables can make it for a high effort pull. What rear brakes are you using

Post Thanks / Like
    The geometry of the FFR set up has the brake cables/s going under the 4" main rail crosser at the rear of the frame. The brake cable become the lowest point of the car. Not so good. There's an easy well documented fix in edwardB build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    The other “complaint” is the location of the handle. I could not reach the parking brake with my seat belt on in its stock location. To me that was a safety issue. I moved it to the top of the tunnel.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all. Scottiec, I have the upgraded Willwood rear brake package

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using the base brake kit that comes with the FFR Roadster. I purchased a lokar e-brake handle which I mounted on the top of the tunnel. Basically the e-brake sucks. I cannot seem to get enough of a pull to make the e-brakes to work properly to stop the car. There are a ton of mods guys have done to make this e-brake mod. Just be prepared for pain if you go down this road. Here is a cool mod of what I am talking about.

Good Luck

e-brake.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Wilwood 13” rears. I used the Lokar handle. 3 clicks and locked tight. It must depend on the parking brake style on the rotor. I really liked the Allen lock setup on the Lokar shown in Kpt112’s pic. I cut the cables to length and didn’t have to worry about putting on new swages.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry