BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How to install upper trunk panel

Post Thanks / Like

How to install upper trunk panel

I'm painted in a corner, having followed the FFR instruction manual. Looking for others who may have figured a good way out.

Having installed the cockpit rear main panel (with about a thousand rivets and silicone), it is now exceedingly difficult (impossible?) to get a drill into place to drill the holes for the upper trunk panel into the 3 inch frame tube immediately to the rear of the cockpit panel. FFR's suggestion: "Remove the cockpit panel."

I would love to find a reasonable path forward without removing the cockpit panel. Not only is that a fair amount of work, but I don't enjoy the thought of 50 drilled out rivets rattling around for eternity inside the frame.

Thanks! Gene

(Note that the Rev. 3X August '17 FFR manual has corrected this build sequencing problem found in earlier editions of the manual.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Will a 90 deg drill adaptor get in there?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just witnessed a guy do the same thing on his build. I would not attempt to remove the rear firewall.

Look into a good panel adhesive and rivet the rest the best you can. Panel adhesive is used in automobiles instead of welding for many applications. Make sure the panel can sit flat before you apply the adhesive. Apply the adhesive and set some weight on it and rivet the rest you will be fine.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241847&rt=rud
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with 427; don't even try to remove the cockpit rear main panel.

You might be able to use a 12" long bit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=256270011) to keep the body of the drill above the upper edge of the panel. Otherwise, go with the panel adhesive. Also, before you go to the trouble of trying to drill rivet holes, make sure your rivet tool has access as well.

Alternatively, you could fabricate an angled bracket that is secured to the trunk side of the cockpit rear main panel and sandwiches the lower edge of the upper trunk panel into place.

Cheers,

John

P.S. Heads up on another sequencing error in the manual: install the triangular inner trunk side panels BEFORE the long rounded outer trunk panels. Otherwise you can't access the bottom edge of the inner trunk panels.
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 04-09-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    A word to the wise, never rivet any panel in place till ALL the panels have been fitted and drilled. I know it's a little late now, but maybe someone else will be helped.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Murd. Go for the 90 degree drill adapter (low profile) and a short bit and get as close as you can. It isn't a great situation, but you can get past it!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    The forward support that you are drilling into is 3" wide (2" X 3"). Drill as far toward the rear to the back of the car, still being in the rectangular tube. We've done enough partially built cars to know it isn't ideal but is doable. We use a 90* Makita drill with a short #30 drill bit, sealant and then just rivet in place. You'll be fine, especially if you plan on doing heat/sound mat and carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Rich, STOP RIVETING, until you have everything mocked up (and preferrably a few miles for shake-out).
    Invest in a bunch of Clecos (or even some sheet metal screws to temporary securing the panels).
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did this, I just sealed it and riveted a "X" across the panel. Its sealed and strong