Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Manual Sequence Errors?

Post Thanks / Like

Manual Sequence Errors?

Hey all. I just saw a post that outlined a manual step sequencing issue regarding the firewall. Is there another thread that highlights any known instructional build errors from the manual or problems with step sequencing...or should this be the thread?... Just want to be sure that I don't duplicate any of those errors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't panic. Yet. I think the thread you're talking about is the rear cockpit wall. The instructions say to rivet the rear cockpit wall, then the trunk floor. Unfortunately, because of the angle of the cockpit wall it's nearly impossible to reach the row of rivets along the front edge of the trunk floor with the back wall installed. So it's recommended to do the trunk floor first. But the specifics just illustrate some overall principles for the build. Study the instructions in detail before starting. All the way through. Once you get started, always be looking ahead. When you lay out rivet holes, make sure the location(s) will be accessible to drill and set the rivets. Mock up things like crazy. Wait as long as you can to put in final rivets. Clecos are your friends.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-09-2018 at 09:59 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second using clecos and test fitting everything before riveting anything in place. I set my driver's side foot box panel in place per the manual and when I later started fitting all the rest of the panels in place I found that I was about 1/8" - 3/16" too low on the front panel. I drilled out all the rivets, but the silicone was cured and that panel wasn't going anywhere. After that, I cleco'd entire assemblies together to be sure that everything fit before pulling it apart and then applying the silicone and riveting things together. I also liked to put a cleco in every drilled hole before riveting and then would remove a cleco and rivet that hole, repeat, repeat, repeat ...

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are awesome! Never knew what a Clecos was, but you can bet I'll be getting some!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    ...Study the instructions in detail before starting. All the way through. Once you get started, always be looking ahead. When you lay out rivet holes, make sure the location(s) will be accessible to drill and set the rivets. Mock up things like crazy...
    There ya' go! The manual isn't always right, totally clear or most efficient. You have to plan your moves way ahead. If you just start in with step 1, 2, 3, without considering what you are going to be doing in step 5, 6, or 7 you're probably going to have some frustrations.

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    You guys are awesome! Never knew what a Clecos was, but you can bet I'll be getting some!
    Get at least 50, but 100 would be better.
    Also, double ended body shop 1/8" drill bits come in handy too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heads up on another sequencing error in the manual: install the triangular inner trunk side panels BEFORE the long rounded outer trunk panels. Otherwise you can't access the bottom edge of the inner trunk panels.

And not really a sequencing error, but be sure to test fit the A-frame transmission support before you get the engine & transmission in the air. My A-frame required significant grinding on the bottom ends of the legs before it would fit properly between the 4" tubes.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313