FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk IV Wipers

Post Thanks / Like

Mk IV Wipers

I thought I would get started on the wipers today, but did not find any instructions in the box or build book. I did find the download, but was hoping for more guidance on locating the wiper motor. Does the body need to be in place to locate and mount the wiper components. If someone has a good thread on this, I could use a link. I was about to go to the manual wiper like Scott, but have the wipers bought and paid for, so what the heck.
    If the body has to be mounted, I will have to work on something else.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Railroad

I mounted, wired and tested the motor with the body off and then installed the rest of the wiper assembly with the body installed

Print the wiring instructions on a color printer if you have one the yellow auto park wire didn’t show up when I printed it in black and white or at least mark it on the diagram

Good luck

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I also installed the motor and wired it up with body off and did the rest body on. Also I would suggest waiting until you have the windshield mounted, one of mine is closer to the windshield then the other.

The instructions tell you to drill the holes for the wheelboxes offset to the drivers side. If you look at pics of the originals they were mounted symmetrically. The FFR way might be more functional but not period correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you got the download from the FFR parts/instructions site, that is exactly what came with my wiper kit.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Wiper motor location.

Here is a generic photo I found that pretty much shows the common location. The location is pretty much as far as you can get it to the passenger side of the firewall roughly pointed up ahead of the first wheel box. There is some wiggle room because you can bend the short tube to meet your angle. The photo gives you a pretty good starting point. The wheel boxes are mounted per the manual. Take your time to read the manual and make sure you make the corrections for the MK4. Also, it is a good idea to mount your windshield and adjust the angle before you drill for the wheel boxes. Mine are literally against the rubber bottom seal of the windshield and I moved mine out 3/16" from suggested.

Note: I think the wheel boxes are upside down in the top picture. Make sure you follow the instructions.

Here are a couple photos of mine. Notice how close I am to the windshield. Not an issue but I could have ended up under the rubber seal.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 04-09-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed the motor and wiring body off. I followed a tip from Breeze to space the motor forward with 3/4 “ square aluminum tubing to make the tube align a little better. It did help but could have been maybe another 1/2” more. That would take out the difficult bend in the tube and allow the friction in the tube to be diminished to the bare minimum. Be very sure of your holes in the body. Measure 10 times cut once. Check out Edwardb’s thread on his installation on his Mk4 and the way he made the holes in the body. Finish Line has a wire husk that fits into the motor. Just attach the wires to it and plug it in. Will need to be tie wrapped on as there is no clip that attaches it. Good luck
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lotsa help, thanks. I really just need to get the motor and wiring right now. I do not have a heater, nor A/C on the firewall, just fuel pressure regulator. My ECU will be toward the front of the wiper motor and above the passenger foot box. I will wade through edwardb's build and see if I can find the right page. I know it will have a lot of specifics and help on what to watch for. Thanks for all the good tips.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the wiring electrical plug for the motor. ********** sells it for $15. The kit gives you individual connectors. If you use them, make sure you use the correct ones in the correct place. The ones connecting to the motor are narrower then the ones that connect to the switch.
    http://www.**********accessories.com...ical-plug.aspxWiper Plug.jpg
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 04-09-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ducky, that looks like the way to go. I did find where edwardb had a pic of the mounted wiper motor. I can scale off a part of the motor and locate the motor on the firewall, I hope.