Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Removing the fuel tank

Post Thanks / Like

Removing the fuel tank

Hi
    I recently bought a 65 MK I Cobra.
    It came with a fuel leak. When I fill up, the fuel pouring down the rear of the fuel tank looks like Niagra falls.
    I need to drop the tank and check the hose connection from the filler neck to the tank.
    My question to everyone out there is, can you tell me how to drop the tank and get to that hose?
    Dropping the tank looks straight forward enough, but I can't see how to get to the hose.
    Any information that you would care to give me will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

The upper part of the filler is connected to the lower part by a short "radiator" type hose, obviously gas rated, and usually held together by upper and lower hose clamps.

If you are referring to the gas line(s) or vent tube, there might be an access panel in the trunk to get to it. If not, the tank will need to be dropped.
    Disconnect the filler and then loosen the tank straps to where you can reach in to the gas line(s)/vent area. If there is still not enough room, you'll need to drop the tank slowly until access is good.
    If the car is EFI, the connections should be factory but could be replaced with regular hose clamps. It's anybodies guess how the car was put together by the original owner . . .

Your issue might also be a fuel pump bung gasket that has gone bad allowing fuel to overflow when the gas level gets to the top of the lowered tank area - assuming that the tank is factory FORD with the raised section on the passenger side.

As a suggestion, when you get the tank down, consider that access panel(s) in the trunk for future times. One for the fuel pump and another for the fill level sender.

HTH

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 04-09-2018 at 09:23 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    - Syphon out as much fuel as you can. The lighter the better.
    - Use your floor jack and a piece of plywood to support the fuel tank.
    - Remove the gear clamp holding the filler neck to the rubber connection on the bottom of the Lemans cap.
    - Disconnect the fuel supply and return line from the tank.
    - Remove the two bolts at the front of the tank securing the tank straps.
    - Lower the tank using your floor jack. Good time for help here. One guy on the jack. One guy on his back under the car to steady the tank so it doesn't slip off the jack.
    - Once out of the car, inspect the rubber grommet that seals the filler tube, where the tube enters the tank. These are been known to crack on older model roadsters. If is it the source of your spill, replace with a Ford part, and install 1/2" spacers under the tank support square tubing so the tank sits slightly lower and the filler tube doesn't make contact with the 3/4" diagonal frame bracing.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 04-09-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no need to remove the tank if its the filler that leaking. It sounds like it could be the seal on the tank where the fill tube goes into the tank. It's a simple rubber seal that pops out after the tube is removed, coat the new one with a light coating of oil and re-insert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple of pictures that may help you out. I agree with Rich - no need to drop the tank if the problem is with the rubber grommet.

000_0619.JPGCobra 021608 003b.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    X3 on not removing the tank to replace the filler seal. Also agree replace it with a genuine Ford OE part. To be specific, it's part number F4ZZ-9072-DA. Around $30 or so. I've compared it side-by-side to the non-Ford version (Dorman, what FF now supplies, etc.) and it's a more robust part. Worth the effort to find and the slightly higher cost IMO. Use a little lubrication when installing it into the tank, and also when pushing in the filler hose. They can be damaged, and then you're right back where you started.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do end up dropping the tank, I've found that using my rolling shop stool instead of floor jack and plywood makes for one-man raising and lowering. Stool has large cushion on top which balances the tank nicely, just pull the stool height adjust lever and push down on the tank to drop it away once it's disconnected. Stool is strong enough to raise the tank back into position.

All assuming you're at jack stand height, not on a lift...
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since the OP indicates he experiences the leak on fill up, after eliminating the filler seal I would look at the fuel gauge sender. Either the gasket is compromised or the sender itself is allowing fuel to pass through the connector. Either drop the tank and seal up the sender or don't overfill the tank. This seems to have developed into a fairly well recognized problem with Fox tanks. Not sure why but it's out there. One thought I had is that the new gas formulas are eating up the seals in the sender and allowing gas to exit, whereas 25 - 30 years ago that wasn't an issue.

Frank
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the donor tank was 98 or newer make sure the vapor vent lint on the top of the donor fill pipe is plugged. Little 3/8” line coming off the side. Look at pics in the build manual. Ask me how I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to thank everyone for their help with this little problem. A lot of useful information was given to me.
    It's nice to know I have a support system I can go to if I have questions.
    Thanks again.
    Tom