Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question on Mk3 IRS axle nut torque

Post Thanks / Like

Question on Mk3 IRS axle nut torque

Read many threads about checking the torque so after a couple of seasons' driving checked mine with a rented 250ftlb wrench.

With the car on a lift, wheels off, in gear, I was able to torque both sides to 250ftlb without having to 'chock' or otherwise stop the wheels from rotating. That seems wrong and on the passenger side I was actually starting to compress the springs as I lifted the wrench up. With the wheels on, she'll drive fine and roll fine, no noises, but I can't manually rotate the passenger side wheel when in neutral. Driver's side seems fine but could also tighten without chocking. If I 'rock' the driver's side wheel the half-shaft moves, but the passenger side just seems totally seized against the knuckle unless I back off to about 150ftlb. At that point I can just about rotate the wheel by hand.

Opinions?
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    Feeling foolish.

Going over the rest of car, I can confirm the handbrake holds really well.
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store