BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build parties in place of Open House?

Post Thanks / Like

Build parties in place of Open House?

Guys,

Since there is no Open House this year, anyone building in the Northeast who wants help? I'm willing to drive a couple hours to help out a builder. I bet quite a few guys would be willing to help out.

Who wants help?

Pat
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice offer and good idea. Another great example of how supportive this builder community is.
    I am curious on this topic what people think?
    Personally I did not want any physical help (lord knows I got my share of forum help!) I wanted to be able to say I did it myself for the most part. Of course there were times when I used buddies sets of hands for assistance.
    What are others thoughts?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Very nice offer and good idea. Another great example of how supportive this builder community is.
    I am curious on this topic what people think?
    Personally I did not want any physical help (lord knows I got my share of forum help!) I wanted to be able to say I did it myself for the most part. Of course there were times when I used buddies sets of hands for assistance.
    What are others thoughts?
    Keep in mind that a build party is not a complete build in one day, you will have plenty of opportunity to build with your own hands

If your well organized, and have a plan in place, you can get a good amount done, and move the build forward, by a great deal.

It's great to get like minded folks together and share good times, knowledge, and some war stories from time to time. (Nothing like seeing a bunch of hot rod builders getting together for a good cause)

Keep the adult beverages closed till after the build part is done, then fire up the grill, or order out, pop open some cold drinks and have a blast.

Finally you get to meet, talk, and make some really good friends, what's not to like.

Ron
    Last edited by David Hodgkins; 04-10-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been involved in a couple of build parties and to be honest am not a fan. I don't mind if friends or customers stop by to visit while I'm working but they know it's "hands off". I have several friends I'd build with but they are all in different parts of the country. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe find a campground to invade. Go straight to the adult beverages and war stories around a well built bonfire.....
    #8869 Delivered 5/11/2016 Traditional donor build using 1994 Mustang

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Build parties are ok when you have just a couple guys/gals with a real goal, but, no deadlines!! I'm kind of like Jeff in that I don't like extra chef's in my kitchen or chiefs around my campfire, but I like helping out somebody especially when its a unique or different car to me. We kind of batted this about with some of our local guys in another club and it had mixed results. I've had it go a couple different ways. As long as the project car stays in the "owners" garage and you allow time for the campfire talk then its ok. I have also seen this turn into someone's car setting in somebody else's garage for months. As long as no one has big expectations it can be a lot of fun with someone else's money!!
    Since this started as a NY geographical range I'll throw in an offer to help within a 2 hour radius from Binghamton...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it’s a great idea for the correct person. I myself for the life of me could not get passed the electrical part of my build. If I could have found someone capable I would have welcomed the help in a second. Instead I hired the Traveling Builder to help with the wiring. For me it was good learning experience and helped me to get passed a point I couldn’t seem to do otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been involved in a few build parties over the years with members of my Upstate FFR (Cobra) Owners Group, sometimes it's simple, like "I'm installing my windshield and could use a few extra hands" or more involved, like "I'm stuck and don't know what to do." I think for the most part, they have been a total success. Agreed, expectations need to be framed, but I know with my group, there is a wealth of knowledge that is begging to be shared.

On another note, I threw this out there with a hope to meet more "FFR guys" within a reasonable driving distance. I have noticed over the last few years the number of new builds seemed to have decreased. I know I'm not as active on the forums as before but I do keep track of two different FFR Facebook groups, and I just don't see new area builds. Also, again within my group, but quite few guys have moved on by selling their cars.

Pat
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!