FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: removing shift knob

Post Thanks / Like

removing shift knob

Hello Gents! Id need some guidance on removing my shifter knob. It does not have a lock nut so I assume it unscrews counter clockwise? The reason I'm removing it is to install cup holders in the trans tunnel cover.
    In addition I thinking about putting trim on the trans cover edges. I've search the form and did not see any one doing that.

shift knob.JPG
    2018-04-10_9-25-22.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you're turning the correct direction, counter clockwise. Sounds like you need a way to grip the knob without damaging it. Try this plumbing tool. It's used to grip faucets without damaging them, same as your need.
    I haven't seen anyone adding trim on the edge. Good luck with that one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 04-10-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I used trim along the tranny cover edges. I had cut the carpet for making a removable cover, and wanted to clean up the edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    To elaborate a bit more about the trim..I used some aluminum stepped floor transition molding, which I covered in upholstery vinyl. Being stepped allowed for the unevenness between the top edge of the tranny cover panel, and the tranny side panels. It created a nice clean looking fit.
    I drilled and tapped the tranny frame to allow for machine screws, for which I also used stainless finishing washers.

Transition molding used, was very similar to this one.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010