Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Clutch Control > SBC w/383 and 5-speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch Control > SBC w/383 and 5-speed.

Any comparison with Cable clutch vs Hydraulic Clutch?? Preparing my configuration.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are two popular types of juice clutch releases -- hydraulic T/O and slave cylinder. The advantage of the hydraulic throwout bearing is it's the most compact unit and will fit where other types won't. The downside is it requires splitting the trans & engine to service it (but so does any style T/O bearing & pilot bearing). The bigger downside for me is it limits the type of clutch you can use as they are generally not compatible with Borg & Beck style clutches popular with drag racers. The advantage of a slave cylinder type release is it uses a mechanical arm like a mechanical release and opens up the variety of clutches you can use. It also can be serviced without splitting the engine & trans. However, it does have a larger footprint so may be hard to fit in tight areas. The biggest downside of hydraulic operated clutch releases is they are slower to operate than mechanical linkage systems. This will hardly be noticed by most folks unless you plan to drag race your car.

There are two popular versions of mechanical clutch release systems -- cable pull and linkage. Cable pull may have a slight advantage over the linkage type when it comes to routing. Cable and mechanical linkage systems are generally faster to operate than hydraulic. Some may say that hydraulic systems make it easier to operate the clutch but that really comes down to clutch spring pressure and mechanical advantage in the release system. I've used a variety of all of these and find all types to be reliable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Naz. I was ordering a Blueprint 383 with Tremec 5-speed. They advised they could add the Hydraulic Throw-out Bearing installed for $450. I would assume I would just
    run the Hydraulic Lines from the Firewall Servo next to the Brake Servos?? I do not plan on hard Drag Racing. Mostly Cruising and Touring around.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, simply plumb the hydraulic T/O bearing to a dedicated master cylinder. You should get the Wilwood pedal assembly with your kit (ensure you do). It is set-up for three master cylinders and two pedals. The brake system will use a balance bar type dual master cylinder arrangement (M/C's supplied in kit) and give you an option to run a dedicated clutch M/C or cable style release.