Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: So....What if I...

Post Thanks / Like

So....What if I...

built a 33 as a roadster with bike fenders...then added hard top, fenders, running boards, door glass at a later date as budget allowed? I love the look of the full enchilada with hard top, full fenders, running boards, hood and sides. Would there be a problem with the windshield wiper switching from the roadster windshield to the hard top? Could I mount the wiper on the cowl and would that work for both windshields? Could I mount the wiper to the top of the roadster windshield and then mount the wiper in the hard top? I don't plan on switching back and forth between the 2 tops. I'd rather get the car "finished" and registered (in NJ) and then add the features I want as time and budget allows. Sound reasonable?

Thank you,

Post Thanks / Like
    The door glass would require cutting the slits in the doors. Hard to do ina finished car.

The only way it would be feasible, In my eyes, wokld be to not paint it until done. Drive it in primer as you de each additional step. Then paint later on.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    The car wouldn't be painted until it was complete with all the features I want. I figured once the doors are mounted I could mark the hinges. I could take the doors on and off at a later date and they should line up again. I guess I could mount the hard top and not do the side windows until later......Just seems like a big nut and a lot of work from the get go to do the complete car with all the features I want. I'm concerned I would get overwhelmed and loose interest. If I did it in stages it wouldn't seem overwhelming or expensive...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think the roadster windshield and hard-top windshield are in different locations and different angles, so that may cause issues with the wiper setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the things I'm wondering about. Is there an inexpensive electric wiper set up that can be mounted to the top of the roadster windshield? Yes I would have to do a new wiper setup for the hard top down the road. Maybe it doesn't pay and I'd have to do the hard top initially.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I initially was going this route, but, became frustrated with the fitment of the roadster windshield VS. the hard top. Then I changed the whole build and dropped the roadster idea. It can be done , but lots of time is required to set it up to change back and forth between roadster and hard top. If you aren't going back to the roadster later then its easier. I would recommend that while the body is off you add a couple more layers of glass in the cowl area to reinforce it better. You can see light through the mold line on many of the bodies. I Have set up the fenders to be removable so I can bounce around with bicycle, fat fenders, or no fenders, but my fenders are all different anyway.

One approach attempted by a couple people is to leave the roadster windshield in place and cut the roof to mount on the windshield. This requires another level of mods, but has potential to be successful if thought out well.

good luck,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick P View Post
    That's the things I'm wondering about. Is there an inexpensive electric wiper set up that can be mounted to the top of the roadster windshield? Yes I would have to do a new wiper setup for the hard top down the road. Maybe it doesn't pay and I'd have to do the hard top initially.
    The roadster windshield and hardtop are designed to bolt down in the same place on the cowl, you would only have to worry about the angle of the wipers, as the hardtop is more vertical than the roadster.

Post Thanks / Like
    As with other things, if you are going to change top, on top off top make dam sure both window holes work! Before you have two sets of holes!

Post Thanks / Like
    What you’re wanting to do is not unlike what I am doing. Only I already have all the parts. Right now, I’m working to get it running, then I’ll put the body back on it. Then I’ll work on one option or thing ata time, until it’s done. Then blow t back apart to paint and finish all components. Very doable that way, you would just be doing more directing and less working, taking time to gather funds. The biggest downside I see is that any large items, you’ll be paying for shipping again later instead of including in the initial shipping. Try to be able to afford all the large, bulky items to prevent multiple large shipping bills with freight company later on.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess maybe I'll just have to do it in 2 stages. I didn't realize the bike fenders were so expensive..unless I can come up with an alternative. I'm not sure if you have to have side glass if you have a hard top..but I guess that is part of the hard top kit anyway. New Jersey is kinda funny. You can go without a roof but need a windshield wiper!

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove mine as a roadster for nearly two years, just went back toads the rest

Post Thanks / Like
    There are wipers that will work on top of roadster windshield (marine ). Need to read about bolts for front of top. If you are going to drive car leave it in gel coat. Good luck and you can make it work if you think about how it goes together before doing something that would make more work.