Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chase the Dream Build

Post Thanks / Like

Chase the Dream Build

Although I have not purchased any FFR car and pretty much wrote of the 33 Hot Rod because of the lack of room, I am beginning a 33 build. A friend bought an early 33 Kit (I'll update the number as soon as I get it). Since the purchase, his family and business life has, rightfully so, kept him from getting far with the build. So he asked me to take the lead on the kit since I had such an interest in it.

I have done a few frame off restorations but never built a car in this fashion so I will be coming to the forum quite often for guidance. Of course I will be posting updates and photos throughout the build for everyones comic entertainment.

Stay tuned!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff, good luck! Now persuade him to choose an auto, or narrow that transmission cover so you can drive it
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cool!
    Have fun and yes, keep us posted.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so I will post pics soon. First off what we have here is a kit purchased in 2009. The owner is trying to find the number. If anyone knows if its on the chassis or paperwork please chime in.

We have a 347 / 415hp stroker crate engine on the stand waiting for its new home. The owner said he ordered the kit as an automatic but in the boxes is a T5 tranny mount and the Wilwood pedal assembly has a clutch pedal. I am not sure yet if I can remove the clutch pedal or if I have to sell the assembly and get an auto setup. I also noticed the brake pedal is actually touching the steering shaft.

3 link mosier rear end
    FFR fuel tank
    FFR non-tilt column
    IDIDIT wire harness

I am trying to research auto trannies that will work with a 302 block 347 stroker and handle 415 hp.

The work begins....

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look for the build sequence number stamped on a 1" horizontal square tube near where the pedals mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I will look.

Post Thanks / Like
    All kits come with the same pedal box. Just remove the clutch pedal. The brake pedal, I can’t help with as I loved my whole box forward.

For your 347, a nicely built C4 would be ok. Or if you want OD, the properly built AOD would work well. Mike Forte could assist with that selection.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I was looking at the Monster AOD. Their top build says it will handle 600 hp. I need to read up on torque converters and stall speeds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Scarborough View Post
    Thanks. I was looking at the Monster AOD. Their top build says it will handle 600 hp. I need to read up on torque converters and stall speeds.
    Mick
    The 33 doesn't have power brakes so unless you add them you will need to run a high stall TC somewhere around 2800-3000
    The flash speed is the critical issue but no one will list that and OE flash speeds will make the car hard to hold at a stop sign/light
    Pushing the stall up also raises the flash rpms to a point where it won't try to creep forward at a full stop with manual brakes.
    HTH
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for that info. I have reading to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    So today I removed the clutch pedal from the pedal box and began some body work. Stuck on progress until we decide on and order the tranny.