Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: what am I doing wrong ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

what am I doing wrong ?

All right folks I'm going through my checklist for state inspection and VIN assignment. The snags I've hit are these.

Turn signals. when I turn on the turn signals, Left or right it doesn't matter, all four corners light up/flash. I've gone through the manual. and the RF manual.
    As far as the wiring is concerned, it all seems to be right. What am I missing?

Next is the side pipes, This is a 289 USRRC. model. The Jpipes are 2 different lengths, I get that, but on the drivers side, I can't get the "ball and socket" to close up.
    Has any one had this issue, and if so, how did you resolve it. I ran cats on the startup and go kart, but was switching to jpipes,as the cats did not tone the exhaust note
    enough to justify the ugly. Once again if anybody has dealt with these issues I'm all ears. Thanks
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using a single green indicator light on the dash?

Post Thanks / Like
    A better question is; did you wire the tops (rear tail-lights) as brake and the bottoms as turn signals? Or tie the two on each side together?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kit came with the 65’ style single rectangular taillight, with their own flashers.
    “Privateer”

Post Thanks / Like
    Murd and i.e.427 asked the pertinent questions re: turn signals. Give us an answer and we should be able to help. Sorry, I've never dealt with J-pipes so have nothing for you there.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got the latest FFR vintage gauges, which come with integrated turn signal, and high beam indicators.
    “Privateer”

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it might be those square tail lamps. When I looked into them I think they only have one set of bulbs correct? I believe you either need to engineer adding another bulb to each or you need some special module for trailers that lets brake, running lights and turn signals use the same light. What is probably happening is you have them all tied together so it is back feeding from one to the other.
    There are some threads on here about how to hook up these square lights, that’s about all I know.

Sorry no experience wit the j pipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes the kit came with that trailer module but no instructions as to where it goes in the wiring sequence. Does it go in the Dash does it go in where the taillights split off? no info on that. I may try calling Factory Five. Any 289 builders out there that have dealt with?
    “Privateer”

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
    Yes the kit came with that trailer module but no instructions as to where it goes in the wiring sequence. Does it go in the Dash does it go in where the taillights split off?

In post #4 here Jeff says the RF harness is made for 4 rear filaments, the square LEDs will reguire the trailer module (or similar).

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...rancis+trailer

Where everyone is making that mod (in the RF harness) I don't know - seems like that would best be handled in the dash wiring (but I didn't do the RF harness).

Post Thanks / Like
    On the J-pipes, I had an issue where the nut was reaching the bottom of the threads on the header's shank, before the ball joint got tight. I had to use a couple of thick washers under the nuts to get them to really pull down. HTH.

Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
    Yes the kit came with that trailer module but no instructions as to where it goes in the wiring sequence. Does it go in the Dash does it go in where the taillights split off? no info on that. I may try calling Factory Five. Any 289 builders out there that have dealt with?
    Chuck, my build thread talks about the trailer converter and it's limitations. Check it out, if you have questions let me know.
    Chris
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn’t get the trailer converter to work with the normal 2 bulb set up. Almost like too much current draw. Single bulb on each side would work but quit lighting up when 2 bulbs per side hooked up. I used 2 relays instead. Google search but simple wiring and works perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the trailer converter that FFR uses is an "un-powered unit" so it can be mounted behind the dash or at the back of the car. Sorry I missed that this car is an FIA car, that in and of itself would have been helpful since you did post this in the "Roadster" forum (my bad). It appears that since the converter is not installed this is the problem. What's happening is that each time you press the brake pedal or turn on the turn signals is that all the lines are tied together (at the brake light switch) and back feeding on each other. Wire in the trailer converter and it should solve you issue. We prefer to use multiple pole relays instead as LED's tend to play havoc on the trailer converters that are non-powered. But since you seem to be using incandescent light bulbs supplied with your kit it shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by i.e.427; 04-11-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this will help . . .

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.