Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine/Tranny Selection in 33

Post Thanks / Like

Engine/Tranny Selection in 33

Hi guys, I have found a great 383 stroker with a 700r4 tranny package. Engine is new but initially I was going with the 5 speed. So with my budget getting up there because of all the things Im going to do this seems feasible. I wanted a Ford motor, so is a Chevy power plant like against the rules on this 33? I know a lot of people do it and you can do whatever you want. Will a Chevy lower value? Do Hot Rod enthusiast look at the car different? Also, Im 5'9" but the foot area is tight, but can be done easily. So automatic can still push a lot of power, burn tires and perform like a 5 speed, but depends on the driver? Thanks for any input here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think of it this way... You are not building a Ford, you are building a Factory Five and you can do what ever you want with it.

Here is a picture of my SBC sitting in the frame waiting to be started.

I don't think the value of the car will change much. Go to a car show and count how many Hot Rods are running Chevy vs Ford. I bet you will find more Chevys.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tim is right -- it's not a Ford and not even a close resemblance of a real 1933 Ford. A hot rod is a blank sheet and you can make it anyway you desire and nobody can say it's wrong. Put a diesel in it, a four-banger, a flathead -- any engine you want. I think an old school Hemi looks very cool but if you go with something other than what is supported by FFR you're looking at a custom installation and that will be extra. Extra time, effort, and money. The farther off the reservation you take your build the more it will cost and the more you will have to engineer. The SBC is supported by FFR and an easy install as all the design / engineering for it has been done by FFR. It's hard to beat the HP/$ of the old Gen I SBC -- it's a good choice.

I'm old enough to remember when these 33 coupes & roadsters were much more common on the streets and in the 50's I'd mostly see flathead Fords but later the most popular engine by far was a SBC. So if you want to make your rod look like it came out of the 60's or 70's you're going to want a SBC. I have one in mine and the only issues going with a SBC was the headers and the alternator mount. If you have a performance engine that needs big headers (it won't matter which engine) that will be a big challenge as the chassis design does not accommodate larger diameter exhaust tubing or long tube headers with 3" or 3.5" collectors. IMO that's a major design flaw but for most folks the smaller size exhaust works just fine. For the alternator bracket I prefer a low mount but there's not enough clearance so I ended up with a high mount style. But these two issues were not hard to overcome. The rest of the SBC install was easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    A hot rod is a blank sheet and you can make it anyway you desire and nobody can say it's wrong. Put a diesel in it, a four-banger, a flathead -- any engine you want. I think an old school Hemi looks very cool but if you go with something other than what is supported by FFR you're looking at a custom installation and that will be extra.
    A Gen 3 Hemi can look pretty sweet in one too, there are at least three of us now.
    And like Naz said, get that far off the reservation and there's lots of custom fabrication.
    Dale
    6pack 7L Hemi 33

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered maybe doing a ZF 6-Speed?

I know it would likely be a used transmission, but these things are stout and only came in the C4 Corvette from 1989-1996.

Dino (Owner of Corvette Salvage) already works with Factory Five Guys that are building GTM's and usually has a C4 or two on the lot that runs with a 6 speed.

https://corvettesalvage.com/

Also, Bill Boudreaux is the foremost expert on this transmission and is a great source for any refurbishment needs.

http://www.zfdoc.com/

If you decide to go down that path contact me because Dino's is only about 30 miles from my house.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-11-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    NOTE-1: The ZF trans has one version for the LT-5 dual overhead cam set up that WILL NOT fit a standard SBC, Gen-2 SBC or BBC.
    NOTE-2: The ZF trans uses a unique bell-housing that only fits this transmission for the standard SBC, Gen-2 SBC or BBC.
    NOTE-3: A special flywheel is required when installing this transmission on an internally balanced two piece rear seal SBC or BBC engine.
    NOTE-4: A special yoke is required for this transmission as well.
    NOTE-5: Yoke Depth Is Critically Important Because This Trans Was Designed To Work With An IRS Rear But Can Be Adapted To A Solid Axle.
    NOTE-6: The first Fire Hawk ran this gear box back in 1992.
    https://youtu.be/k3NLwGOApKY

NEW ZF On Ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-O...dacmeH&vxp=mtr

NEW ZF Bell-housing On Ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-6-...FauYf2&vxp=mtr

Used ZF On Ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-CORVET...5avZ02&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-11-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm new here but I'm not new to hot rodding and I'm kind of passionate about the Ford in a Ford thing. As was stated earlier these cars are not Fords. Even if they were the whole idea behind hot rodding is mixing and matching to either improve a car or to be able to utilize what you have. I just bought a 33 project with a Ford in it and I'm fine with that but had I been ordering new it would have been ordered with GM mounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys and I will keep you posted. Great information and ideas.