Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering shaft lower U joint to steering adaptor

Post Thanks / Like

Steering shaft lower U joint to steering adaptor

I am having problem with steering shaft lower U joint doesn't have enough space to go into steering adaptor.
    Don't know if I did anything wrong. I am having power steering, and manual said no need to change splined adaptor.

I think I am not suppose force them in or grind anything out to fit..

I am trying to upload photos, but, keep telling me upload failed..

Post Thanks / Like
    The two adapters are completely different shapes, so it should be obvious if you have the wrong one. One is round and the other is tapered - almost egg shaped. Are you doing manual or power steering? Also, be sure you have some play in the upper shaft to allow it to slide easily through the pillow bearing. Lastly, be sure the set screw is out or out enough to allow the splines to go in.

Here is what mine looks like installed:

The error you are getting loading your photos is due to the size. I think the file size needs to be less than 2 MB.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 04-28-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Easy to confirm you are using the right adapter and have the set screws out, as Papa described, before assembling everything. The adapter should fit onto the end of the loose steering shaft. It's a tight fit, but should push on OK. Separately, the adapter should fit onto the end of the driveshaft sticking out of the power steering rack. The set screw and jam nut need to be backed off, but then it should push on. You can confirm through the open hole where the steering column will go that it's on as far as it can go.

If both of those are OK, then I'm assuming the problem is you don't have enough room with the bearing on the footbox front to get the column and adapter onto the rack driveshaft. Just won't straighten enough to go together. I've actually had that problem as well. I suspect there might be some variability in the length of the driveshaft sticking out of the rack. Regardless, my solution is to put the steering column bearing assembly on the inside of the footbox. It's a little bit of a pain, but once assembled, fits and work just like having it on the front. Doing it that way you should easily get the column and adapter onto the steering rack.

Put the grinder away. I say that recalling the other thread where you ground the steering arms, and now get to buy new ones. (Sorry to bring that up...). If parts don't fit there's likely something else wrong. Grinding is the absolute last resort and honestly shouldn't be needed much if at all in your build.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-28-2018 at 05:31 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    The two adapters are completely different shapes, so it should be obvious if you have the wrong one. One is round and the other is tapered - almost egg shaped. Are you doing manual or power steering? Also, be sure you have some play in the upper shaft to allow it to slide easily through the pillow bearing. Lastly, be sure the set screw is out or out enough to allow the splines to go in.

Here is what mine looks like installed:

The error you are getting loading your photos is due to the size. I think the file size needs to be less than 2 MB.

Dave
    Papa, I am actually following your thread as I'm going.. Yours like my 2nd manual.. Just want to take chance to say thanks you for posting such good build threads..

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Easy to confirm you are using the right adapter and have the set screws out, as Papa described, before assembling everything. The adapter should fit onto the end of the loose steering shaft. It's a tight fit, but should push on OK. Separately, the adapter should fit onto the end of the driveshaft sticking out of the power steering rack. The set screw and jam nut need to be backed off, but then it should push on. You can confirm through the open hole where the steering column will go that it's on as far as it can go.

If both of those are OK, then I'm assuming the problem is you don't have enough room with the bearing on the footbox front to get the column and adapter onto the rack driveshaft. Just won't straighten enough to go together. I've actually had that problem as well. I suspect there might be some variability in the length of the driveshaft sticking out of the rack. Regardless, my solution is to put the steering column bearing assembly on the inside of the footbox. It's a little bit of a pain, but once assembled, fits and work just like having it on the front. Doing it that way you should easily get the column and adapter onto the steering rack.

Put the grinder away. I say that recalling the other thread where you ground the steering arms, and now get to buy new ones. (Sorry to bring that up...). If parts don't fit there's likely something else wrong. Grinding is the absolute last resort and honestly shouldn't be needed much if at all in your build.
    Edward,
    Your post also in my never close up tab.. Yes, I did some mistake to grind the linkage.. And thanks for this community to correct me.. Very grateful..
    Yes, I might try to mount thr beating the other side, as what I already suspected for length..

BTW, I might need even more help when I get into transmission.. I am choosing automatic trans.. As this will only get approved by wife.. Hahah...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChienKuo View Post
    Papa, I am actually following your thread as I'm going.. Yours like my 2nd manual.. Just want to take chance to say thanks you for posting such good build threads.
    You're welcome; happy that my thread is helping! I recommend that you get the adapter back onto the shaft and then try to get the splined end onto the rack. Make sure you have some play at the pillow bearing and you should be able to get it on there.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Make sure you have some play at the pillow bearing and you should be able to get it on there.
    Agreed that's the best choice, and how the instructions show to assemble. But if the steering column u-joint is hard against the bearing which is hard against the footbox front, no matter how loose, and the adapter won't straighten enough to go together there's nothing left to do. I'm two for two with the power steering rack from Breeze (Unisteer) requiring the footbox bearing to be mounted inside in order for the assembly to go together. I've heard the same thing from a couple other builders, so I'm not the only one.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed that's the best choice, and how the instructions show to assemble. But if the steering column u-joint is hard against the bearing which is hard against the footbox front, no matter how loose, and the adapter won't straighten enough to go together there's nothing left to do. I'm two for two with the power steering rack from Breeze (Unisteer) requiring the footbox bearing to be mounted inside in order for the assembly to go together. I've heard the same thing from a couple other builders, so I'm not the only one.
    Yeah, Paul. I sort of forgot about how the shaft doesn't move at the foot box. Dang, has it been that long ago that I installed mine?

Post Thanks / Like
    [snip] I'm two for two with the power steering rack from Breeze (Unisteer) requiring the footbox bearing to be mounted inside in order for the assembly to go together. I've heard the same thing from a couple other builders, so I'm not the only one.
    Same thing I had to do with mine. Bearing on the inside.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, 3x, 4x (?) the bearing and retainer on the inside of the footbox.