Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Header bolts/ to remove the engine or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Header bolts/ to remove the engine or not.

I recently purchased a Cobra Roadster and just discovered that on the driver's side I have header bolts
    only in the front two tubes, the rest are AWOL. So here's the question, can new bolts be installed with the engine in the car, or do I need to pull the engine. There just doesn't seem to be enough room to get a hand in there to put the bolts in.
    Is there a trick to performing this bit of work?
    If I need to, or simply decide to, can the engine and tranny be pulled as a unit, or do they need to be separated?
    Thanks,

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't you have a massive exhaust leak? I have lost just one on previous cars and had a big leak. So you have only 4 of the 8? I can get to all of mine with the motor in the car. My motor is also a 408 based on a 351.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the car is the only way---it's not possible to install the engine with the headers installed. Yes, engine & trans can be installed and removed together.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the roadster up on jack stands. On the drivers side you can get at the most difficult bolts from the bottom.

Patience is key. Good hardware also.

I used reduced head style bolts. 3/8" wrenching.

Purchased them from www.totallystainless.com

These have the locking washers built in

6-6971.jpg
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 04-11-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tr6forme View Post
    So here's the question, can new bolts be installed with the engine in the car, or do I need to pull the engine. There just doesn't seem to be enough room to get a hand in there to put the bolts in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    In the car is the only way---it's not possible to install the engine with the headers installed.
    +1

Somebody had to get their hand in there to install the bolts in the first place, or they built it too hurriedly to worry about such details.

Let me guess - something bigger (broader) than 302?

If you can't get your hand in there, you might be best served by pulling the engine and redesigning the shape of the footbox.

Or, in some cases buying, later model footbox sheet metal from FFR...

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ghlight=2bking

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you use a new gasket!
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    The 3/8 bolts w/ a 3/8 hex work for me. On a few of the bolts you may need to pull the header away from the head a little by loosening all the other bolts. The bolt needs to go in on an angle to clear the header tube, bit, if all the other bolts are tight, it is still at a bit of an angle when it contacts the head so it won't thread into the hole.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will likely need to back the existing bolts out and pull the header away from the engine to get more bolts in. However, doing this means that you will need either a new gasket or to re-seal it with high temp copper RTV. I recommend the RTV method.

You need the proper bolts as people have stated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all who replied to my request for help.
    Tom