FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear deck mesh vent needed?

Post Thanks / Like

Rear deck mesh vent needed?

I just got my GTM back from being painted and I realized that I didn't cut the vent hole on the back body behind the hatch. For some reason I thought the instructions for that step was related to the gen 1. Has anyone left the back end closed with only the vent from the hatch? I know it gets hot in there and I'm trying to decide if I need to take it back to the body shop to repaint that area if I cut the hole. Has anyone left that spot closed?
    Thanks,
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Keith,

I have only the vent in the hatch, none in flat part under my rear wing.

-Michael
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOLD JUNE 2018 - GTM #327, LS3, G50/20, Kooks, AC, Ron's Tanks, Crash's 4-port HCV, Shane's Bolts & Plenum & etc., plus a lot of other stuff. Finished November 2013.

Not-up-to-date Build Site: http://rumrunnergtm.weebly.com

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the GTM can use as many ways to get the heat out of the back of the car as it can get. Just my 2 cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Michael,
    Have you had any issues with over heating in the engine compartment? Any regrets for not installing it?
    Thanks!
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith1 View Post
    Michael,
    Have you had any issues with over heating in the engine compartment? Any regrets for not installing it?
    Thanks!
    Keith
    Keith,

I haven't had any troubles with overheating. I do use many vents that Shane sells (long belly pan, trapezoid belly pan, diffuser louver). I also have the intakes where the small rear windows usually are (similar to Shane's NACA ducts). I also have full side scoops that bring in a fair amount of air. That said, I try not to drive in heavy traffic. I have done long drives with no problem (~500 miles at once), but really haven't dealt with long stretches of traffic. And I haven't had any problem running the AC at the same time.

If I were you, especially since the body is already painted, I would try without adding the additional vent. Worst cast you find that you're about to overheat and you pull over and let it cool - THEN cut a hole in the already-painted body. You may find that you have no issues whatsoever.

Good luck!

-Michael
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOLD JUNE 2018 - GTM #327, LS3, G50/20, Kooks, AC, Ron's Tanks, Crash's 4-port HCV, Shane's Bolts & Plenum & etc., plus a lot of other stuff. Finished November 2013.

Not-up-to-date Build Site: http://rumrunnergtm.weebly.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Michael! You do have a lot more vents than I do. I bought Shane's vents for in front of the rear wheels and the rear hatch and around the Kooks exhaust. I just bought Shane's vent for the rear deck as well, I may see how it goes before installing it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note to say that the issue is not with engine overheating.....it's with engine bay overheating.....where everything you have installed in the engine bay is being cooked (including your painted body). I still remember test driving the #2 car I built. The owner insisted that he wanted all of the FFR mesh in all of the openings and did not want to add any louvers at all. After a very short drive, I tried to open the hatch and could barely hold onto the lip of the hatch long enough to get it raised without blistering my fingers. Tried to check the engine oil and the dipstick burnt my fingers. Everything inside the engine bay was too hot to touch. The engine ran fine and did not overheat, but I can't imagine any of the components in the engine bay lasting very long under those conditions.....or the paint on the rear part of his body.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the insight Shane, very helpful.