Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hot Rod Truck Update – April 2018

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hot Rod Truck Update – April 2018

I figured it was time to give folks an update on where we are with our exciting new ’35 Hot Rod Truck. Our company continues to improve new product launches, and the rollout of the new truck shows this. If you recall, we pulled the wraps off of our alpha version prototype at SEMA 2017 after building the car with Mike and Pat from PowerNation TV’s “Engine Power”. After SEMA, we set our goals to begin production in the first quarter of 2018. Since then, we have made some significant engineering changes to the car. The biggest changes were the addition of a full cage on the inside of the truck cab, we’ve increased footbox space, and added a drop-down cut-away to make getting in and out easier. We’ve designed full fenders and structural running boards to compliment the new hood and side covers.

Factory Five’s production shop truck is being built right now in the R&D shop incorporating the last four months of engineering changes.

Our production truck will have full fenders and running boards with hood and side covers.

Jesper goes over the packlists for the Hot Rod Truck.

Factory Five’s Jim Schenck and Jon Dean check fitment of the production running boards.

Mold maker and master shaper John Crowell shows FFR Tech guru Tony Zullo tailgate and bed alignment.
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 04-13-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We’ve built five beta trucks, and are building in-house right now our own production truck that incorporates all of the engineering changes that have been added to the ’35 Hot Rod Truck. Production dates have been assigned, and we have sold more than 50 initial orders with production full into July 2018. I am very excited about the huge variety of builds that are underway or about to be.

Customer Tom Wallace has built a ton of Factory Fives, and we are lucky that he is building one of the very first ’35 Hot Rod Trucks. Tom picked up his kit this past Monday, April 9th, and will be building his car in his shop in Florida and sharing his build online.

Tom Wallace drove up from Florida with his buddy and painter Chris Dobbs who is building an Mk4 Roadster.

FFR’s Nate Johnson and Chris Ronni help Tom and Chris load the Hot Rod Truck into their trailer.

The truck bed is stainless steel with an optional wood floor. Separate dash shown.

Hot Rod Magazine’s Mark Gearhart is building Hot Rod #005, which is the first non-beta serial number (effectively the first production Pick-Up Truck).

Click here to read Hot Rod Magazine’s intro to the project and Mark’s recent visit to Factory Five.

This is a rendering of Hot Rod Magazine’s Factory Five ’35 Hot Rod Truck! The truck will be built over the next 6 issues of Hot Rod Magazine.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Above/Foreground: Our in-house production truck will be used for demos and test drives, and will be powered by this Edelbrock supercharged 690 HP 5.0L Coyote.

Below: Factory Five Tech Dave Brigham assembles the engine components for our production Pick-Up Truck.

Factory Five ’35 Truck Builds

November 2017 – FFR #001X Alpha Truck prototype introduced at SEMA 2017 powered by BluePrint 306 cu. in. with carbureted, auto trans, 3-link, open-wheeled (view photo gallery)

February 2018 – F5R1000001TR, Factory Five Full Fender Production Demo Truck powered by Edelbrock supercharged 5.0L Coyote with 5-speed TKO transmission and 3-link rear suspension

March 2018 – F5R1000002TR, Factory Five Barrett-Jackson Project Truck being built by Ron Everitt. Details to be released soon.

March 2018 – F5R1000003TR, ’35 Hot Rod Truck being built by Erik Treves. Build plan is for pro-street style truck, no fenders, twin-turbo 5.0L. Erik is famous for over-the-top builds, and this will be his best yet! Erik has done two amazing builds recently on www.thefactoryfiveforum.com. He built one of the very first 289 FIA/USRRC cars and he also built a show-winning Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe that was in our booth at SEMA 2017. His build will be posted on the forums.

April 2018 – F5R1000004TR, ’35 Hot Rod Truck being built by customer Tom Wallace. Tom is mum about his build plan, but will be documenting his progress on www.thefactoryfiveforum.com.

April 2018 – F5R1000005TR, ’35 Hot Rod Truck being built by Mark Gearhart and Hot Rod Magazine. Like Erik, Mark has a reputation for building extreme machines, and his Hot Rod Magazine build will introduce 500,000 hardcore hot rodders to the new Factory Five Truck on steroids.

Note: We are also building a 900 HP NASCAR engine-powered Truck with the crew at Snap-On Tools for NASCAR driver Joey Logano, and Fred Simmons, Jr. from SMG Motoring is building an LS-powered Truck in the coming weeks.

Concurrent to the truck project has been our all-steel body project which was introduced two years ago, and is finally getting into production. We have received eight steel bodies, and are fitting them for customers.

Chris Ronni brings the eight crated steel bodies into the main warehouse.

Above & Below: The crew checks out the first production lot of eight steel ’33 Hot Rod bodies.

FFR Tech Tony Zullo fits the steel body ’33 panels with FFR Engineers Jim Schenck and Jesper Ingerslev.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an exciting update. Great to see it all.
    Thanks Dave!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I must be Chassis #8 then. Getting pumped!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fender truck is awesome in person! Thanks Dave and everyone there for helping Chris and I with our kits. I will be building the MK4 first for Chris then my 35. I am so stoked!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post

...Our in-house production truck will be used for demos and test drives, and will be powered by this Edelbrock supercharged 690 HP 5.0L Coyote....

I can imagine Dave doing donuts ... er, doing a "demo drive" in the parking lot with this truck.

I can't wait to build mine!

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a new truck to replace my 16 year old truck thinking it would be the last truck I'd have to buy (wishful thinking I know). After seeing the fenders on this thing, I think there may be one more in my future. It looks mighty nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    exciting news. can't wait to see the finished product

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome stuff. Love the full fender look. Can you elaborate on "structural running boards". This has always been a concern for me and was waiting on the metal body idea.

Troy
    " The journey is the reward" Chinese Proverb
    FFR Roadster #5380
    FFR Spyder GT #030

Post Thanks / Like

Running boards

Quote Originally Posted by 7tvette View Post
    Awesome stuff. Love the full fender look. Can you elaborate on "structural running boards". This has always been a concern for me and was waiting on the metal body idea.

Troy
    I have seen the support under the running boards. It’s plenty beefy for a 250-300lb person to stand on-

And you can’t see it from the top.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This 35` looks fantastic. I have finished my 20th Anniversary Roadster and waiting to send it to the painter. In the meanwhile, I have been following the 35' and read Dave's latest updates. I would love to tackle this truck but, like some, would like to see how builds are progressing. I put about a year and a half into the roadster and would probably follow the same plan with the truck.

Also, if I have read correctly that 50 orders are in, could receipt of one be quite a bit down the road? Pun intended.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're booking new Hot Rod Truck kits in early-mid July right now.

Here's a few shots of the powderciated frame over in chassis assembly.

Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to visualize how the rear axle, shocks, everything will fit under that rear support structure. I am sure it will work.
    Awaiting delivery of no. 11 in May.
    Ralph.

Post Thanks / Like
    congratulations Factory Five.
    this is another project knocked out of the park.
    I cant wait to get going on one.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Got to ask, when will the '34 FFR Vicky model be making its debut? This truck cries out to become a four passenger build!
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dougherty View Post
    congratulations Factory Five.
    this is another project knocked out of the park.
    I cant wait to get going on one.
    Mark,

I'm thinking the same thing. Hope to see you again at Mike's place in Windlake.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017