FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What CHP inspection station did you use in Northern California (Sacramento area)?

Post Thanks / Like

What CHP inspection station did you use in Northern California (Sacramento area)?

I expect to be ready to start the California registration process in about 60 days. I would like advice on which CHP inspection station to use for the VIN number assignment? Which one did you use (in my area) and how did it go? Sacramento CA is the nearest large city near me, I am east of there. Thanks.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Each CHP office will have a VIN Officer so I'd call the office closest to you. You can find the offices here: https://www.chp.ca.gov/find-an-office

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Each CHP office will have a VIN Officer so I'd call the office closest to you. You can find the offices here: https://www.chp.ca.gov/find-an-office

Ray
    I would prefer to go where others have had a good experience. My luck I would go to a station who tells me the car is to loud, get a muffler, and install wipers and a back-up light, which I do not have nor want.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience is that the CHP offices are pretty consistent, unlike the BAR or brake and light inspections. CHP is looking for stolen parts, and to make sure you've paid your taxes (or will pay your taxes back at the DMV), so he will physically look at the parts and receipts. It's the BAR (surprisingly, they do the loud exhaust inspections) and the Brake and Light inspectors (and the DMV of course) that seem to pick and choose what they are looking for. My Brake and Light inspector wanted to see my reverse light actually work.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...d-Registration
    Here's a back-up light thread. My post is #6 or so, and check post 26. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Backup-lights
    Last edited by boat737; 04-14-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    CHP is only concerned with stolen vehicles and parts.

They will issue you the VIN number and blue tag the frame (unless you show them the etched 17-character number on the cross member just in front of the drivers seat.) Some VIN Officers with use that as the VIN and you're good.

If you look at my avatar, you might get an idea of what I did for 30-years.

Also, a smaller office might be able to get you an appointment sooner and inspected quicker than a larger office like North or South Sac.

Good luck,

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, thanks for the info.