Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Impressions after a few laps

Post Thanks / Like

Impressions after a few laps

Hey Gang,

Did some instructing yesterday over at the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point. I figured it would be a good time to shake it down and want to share my impressions and opinions. The cool part about it, is my car hit 1000 miles while on the track.

Brakes - I need a more aggressive front pad that will stand up to the temps. After about 3 laps I was getting brake fade. My rear brakes are hp+ I believe, but my fronts are RockAuto's PowerStop (the performance pad). Honestly, I'm not surprised. So I am going to look at some new pads such as the g-loc.

Master Cylinder- I have a jeep mc on it, and it was overflowing brake fluid because it seems there was not a good seal. Anyone have any recommendations?

Handling- The car handles great, for the most part. I have the 3 link set up with the nittos. The handling was predictable, but I was really not thrilled with the understeer I was getting. Some of this could be related to tire pressure (cold was 24), some of it could also be related to my expectations (raced spec miata before doing this). Oh yeah, I could also just be too aggressive on my inputs and need to drive this car a little differently.

The best part about the day is EVERYONE came to look at my unfinished gel-coat car and tell me that it sounded absolutely incredible on track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, sounds like a good day

RE: Handling and understeer---Which Nittos? What springs? What are your alignment settings? And yes, you are correct that abrupt steering inputs can induce understeer.

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mr. Scott,

Loved reading your 1st impressions of your car on the track.
    Being a drag racer at heart, turning left and right is somewhat foreign to me, but I am willing to learn.
    Also, please share with us the set up for your car because I'd really like to see "What-Cha-Runnin!"
    Finally, glad you had a great time and thanks for motivating me to swing some wrenches.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-15-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff and Steve

I am running the nitto 555 g2’s. For shocks and springs I am using what came in the kit, I don’t remember what spring rate they are. My alignment is -1 degree of camber and 3.5 caster. My toe is either zeroed out or 1/16 in (can’t recall)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Jeff and Steve

I am running the nitto 555 g2’s. For shocks and springs I am using what came in the kit, I don’t remember what spring rate they are. My alignment is -1 degree of camber and 3.5 caster. My toe is either zeroed out or 1/16 in (can’t recall)
    So you are basically "by the book, right out of the box" which is prone to understeer. The G2 tires are going to be limited as far as track work. You can take out some push/free up the rear end by going to a higher rate rear spring ---factory is 500# front, 350# rear. I run 750 front/500 rear -1.5 camber, +8 caster (power), 3/32" toe in and am neutral to a little loose on Nitto NT-01s.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff

Thanks so much for the sound advice. Are your fronts also 245? Also good to know that it is prone to some understeer and not my car specifically

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a master cylinder that works much better. If you are doing track work you really need to be running Wilwood or Motul brake fluid.
    You are running too much tire pressure. Should start out with somewhere around 20psi cold and be in the 24psi hot range. A pyrometer is really necessary to get pressures dilled in.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    I have a master cylinder that works much better. If you are doing track work you really need to be running Wilwood or Motul brake fluid.
    You are running too much tire pressure. Should start out with somewhere around 20psi cold and be in the 24psi hot range. A pyrometer is really necessary to get pressures dilled in.
    Gordon, can you send a link to that mc? I can’t find it on your website

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a Wilwood piece I use in my builds. Please feel free to call me is you want to talk about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A pyrometer is really necessary to get pressures dialled in.
    That is some advice you gave me earlier, and I can attest that it really works. Can't imagine trying to get tire pressure right without one.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Scott,

What is your stagger front to rear?

245/45-17 Front and 315/35-17 Rear

Also, what driveline are you running?
    The reason I'm asking is that my C/G is 50/50 because of where I have my engine and transmission sitting.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-15-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You say the car pushes to much so my first thought is you aren’t by any chance running a front sway bar only?
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that is my stagger.

No front sway bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes that is my stagger.

No front sway bar.
    Thanks Scott!

I've got the same 3 link set up (Stock Factory Five) but have got a lot less rubber out back (285/40-17s) with the same (245/45-17s) up front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff

Thanks so much for the sound advice. Are your fronts also 245? Also good to know that it is prone to some understeer and not my car specifically
    255 Front and 315 Rear. I don't have any experience with the G2 tire but as for my NT-01s and the Kumho XS which I have also run I concur with Gordon RE: pressure (at times I ran the XS down into the teens).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Gordon, quick question. What pressures do you typically aim for with these when you are running a set of slicks (Hoosier R7's)? I'm assuming 24/25 hot (again, ballpark depending on temps)

Post Thanks / Like
    usually 23/24 hot. I have started as low as 16psi cold. Up or down 1-2 psi depending on track and what the pyrometer says.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is really informative. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    One last thing, is you are running the standard 500/350 FFR spring package and feeling a push, you probably need to change your entry into the corner. Push tends to happen if you are late braking to far into the turn. Get you braking done before you turn the wheel into entry and throttle off the turn. You should be able to induce a little neutral to oversteer coming off. Basically slow in fast off. These cars to tend to be a little unpredictable if you try to trail brake them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gordon,
    Thanks. I was most likely trial braking and not noticing I was doing it out of pure habit

Post Thanks / Like
    275 fronts would also help.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen,

This is very useful information since most of us don't road race and will likely never do much more than a limited track days.
    Would any of you consider doing a thread regarding the Driving Do's & Dont's of these little pocket rocket dream cars that we are building?
    Your collective racing knowledge could help more than a few of us stay on the road and out of the ditches.
    Just a thought from the peanut gallery.

Steve