BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tighten steering, parking brake, & alignment questions

Post Thanks / Like

Tighten steering, parking brake, & alignment questions

I am new owner of a freshly built 33 hot rod - but not the builder. The car only has 200 miles and was built by Whitby and I just took delivery last week. After spending several days going thru the TX registration process, I quickly noticed several items needing tweaking. Unfortunately, I don't have builder's manual so starting blindly (trying to get one from FFR).

- the steering wheel has too much play for my comfort, especially at cruising speed, can that be adjusted or tuned with electric power steering?
    - the parking brake needs tightening for more brake friction, can that be adjusted? I have Tremec 5sp manual.
    - can anyone share factory recommended 4 wheel alignment recommendation - numbers?

Thanks, Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan,

If the alignment is off, the steering wont feel right. The best thing to do for the manual is just go on FFR's webs site and purchase the electronic copy. I have it on my work computer and home, it is a lot easier finding info when you need it.
    The alignment specs:
    camber -0.5 to -0.75
    total toe 1/8"
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Raider (Dan),

Welcome to the forum! We would love to see pictures of your new hot rod! Does this car have Whitby's power brake setup? I'd like to see pictures of the booster and master cylinder if you coud share.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will take a few photos and try to upload. Yes has power brakes. My car is actually the April calendar month car for 2018 FFR calendar. I moving next week from Houston area to Canyon Lake, not too far from your Cedar Park location.

I would love to update my signature, avatar, etc with some details of the car, but this Forum wont allow me - says I don't have permission. Seems strange as I am active in few other forums that use similar software.

Post Thanks / Like
    PM David Hodgskin, he can help you with the forum updates.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, where is the play in the steering system? Steering wheel, u-joints, supports, or the rack? With only a couple hundred miles I'd suspect something was left loose -- not likely a wear issue. In my experience, u-joints would be a prime suspect with the support bearings a close second.

Parking brake is an easy adjustment. Once you get a manual with photos things will start to look less confusing. You'll also find suggested alignment specs in the manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, at standstill my stock FFR steering has zero play detectable in the wheel or joints. All the play (small as it is) is inside the rack.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all feedback. I am in midst of full house move, so will check these things out over next couple weeks. I was able to get electronic build manual from FFR. Plus, waiting for my new Bendpak lift to get installed in new garage before diving into the new car. Will let yall know.