Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Update on my build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update on my build

Figured I'd sign in and give an update on my 289 "spec racer" build.
    Its been incredible slow for me, and as usual the body shop is killing me. As always whenever you barter a paint job that is to be expected. I've been filling up my waiting time with working on my other project which I didn't even plan on touching till this coming fall! Two weeks ago I got the fia white chassis back from the body shop so the engine is now in and I am trying to get it running soon. Pretty much all the $$$ part is done so by the end of this month it should be running even though I KNOW the body still won't be in finish paint.

The other project is way ahead of schedule and way ..........wait for it...................UNDER what I budgeted for it! It is definitely my "build of builds"! Had to buy a 4 post lift just to store one of my projects above my C7 Corvette! Thank God for such low cars so I don't have to raise my garage ceiling. Gonna try to post a picture of how my 289 is coming.
    Last edited by fact5racer; 04-15-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, having dropped the body off this past January, having Bartered for it, let this be a lesson! The Body FINALLY got painted last week! Yes, it took 9 months!!!!! The only bright side it looks incredible. Its being wet sanded and buffed this week so I should have finished pictures soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets see a picture

Post Thanks / Like
    hopefully in a couple weeks. I should be doing finish assembly next weekend and then its getting professionally photographed.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy smokes, she looks beautiful!!

Congratulations on getting the paint finished. Nine months is a looong time, but it really looks fantastic!

I would love to see some more pics after you get the pro to do them! Congrats again.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    To let you guys know, It's been an ugly fall for me. You know, I'm used to knocking cars out in less than three months but this ones been a nightmare: the bodyshop. They had it from January till the end of September. Now that it's back, there's no rush to wrap it up because I can't drive it anyways living here in New England. Add to that, with my luck just the Thursday before Labor day weekend my knee blew out just walking along the deck at work. While getting x-rays and MRI's I had little choice but to follow the surgeons advice and sell my BRAND NEW Husqvarna 2019 T300i. They scheduled surgery for Oct22 but after spending 2.5 hrs. laying on the lumberyards floor in pain, the bone chip(s) finally moved allowing me to creep out to my truck. I tried one night working on installing the tail lights and I guess I moved the wrong way and the chip moved again sending me to the floor screaming in pain. I crawled to the house to finally get to where my wife could hear me and got to the sofa and ICE. I sent the doctor my video and they moved the surgery up to the 17th. So now its done but of course I'm still in a bunch of pain with not much range of motion. At 62 I'm getting that scary feeling its just gonna be one thing after another now.
    It's one thing foe YOU to consider its time to quit something, But it REALLY sucks when a sports surgeon tells you :-(.
    All the lights are now installed and I'm tinkering with installing the oil cooler now but like usual at this phase its spend 15 minutes, then realize another run to the hardware store, then 15 minutes, then another run to the store, etc., etc. Wish I could get it done to get my buddy to professionally shoot it. I was promised the drivetrain back for my other project back to me before my machinist went on a weeks vacation on the 19th but he let me down (Not that I can work on that with my knee right now anyways) but hopefully now that he returned today he can get it finally done this week. I need that done ASAP to put it back together as a roller to get it out to Indianapolis to be painted seeing it's their down time. My plan is to 100% finish the fia while that car is gone to paint. Everyone that has come over to check the fia out can't believe how good it looks and agree that I nailed it 100% on the shade of blue!
    Last edited by fact5racer; 10-27-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that Gary; hope you recover quickly. And another thing---quit suggesting that this has anything to do with being 62---I'm 61 and 8 months and have spent the better part of the last 30 years in the same profession as you so just STOP THAT CRAZY "AGE" TALK "CAUSE I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!

Take care,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Here it is finally done. More pictures soon

IMG_4217 (1).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks good Cheney! Looks like a model! Nice paint job and looking forward to more pics!!!

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    That turned out great! Would you please share details on the wheel sizes and tires and drivertain?
    Did you do the door bars and roll bar or factoryfive?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running 18s and 19's. I had bought these Michelin Pilot sport 2s for my Vette but only ran them for three laps so I ordered my forgestars to fit those tires. It has a 302 with the complete trick flow package. tremec with the midshift. I have the only FFR 289 that was factory made as a spec racer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the passenger door functioning? If it is does it have additional bracing anywhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    Passenger door is fixed too. Originally I wanted it to open and then Jim at FFR called and said that by doing that, 80% of my stiffness would be gone because so many bars would be eliminated so I had them keep it in track configuration. I have since wished I kept the doors both to open seeing how "show quality" the paint job came out and my lack of future open track plans.