Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How's the yoga mat holding up?

Post Thanks / Like

How's the yoga mat holding up?

For those who have used yoga mat for the fender Wells, how's it holding up? Would you do anything different?
    The local Walmart has them on roll back and was wondering if I should pick some up.
    Thanks
    Last edited by flynntuna; 04-16-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    After about 2 years and 4K miles, my yoga mat is still good. This weekend I pulled wheels and checked the suspension for the 400-mile drive to HB, so I looked carefully. See ya at HB11.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What kind of yoga mat are people using for the wheel wells? There's lots of different materials and thicknesses out there. Also how is it all attached?

Post Thanks / Like
    I do quite a bit of forum lurking and searches for solutions to my hang-ups during the build, but it never crossed my mind to do a search for "yoga mat."

Just when I though I had a handle on the finer points of my build along come yoga mats....excellent idea though - adding it to the list!
    220,221 whatever it takes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsfourwheeler View Post
    What kind of yoga mat are people using for the wheel wells? There's lots of different materials and thicknesses out there. Also how is it all attached?
    The mat that I'm looking at is a mat that Walmart has at a reduced price for $4.87 a roll. It's pretty thin but I don't think it will need to be any thicker for this purpose since I'm going to be using it in conjunction with bed liner. Plus the thin mat should be easier to fit in the wheel well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that thin is okay. All it's doing is cushioning pebbles which don't have much mass. The yoga mat I've used is 1/4" but that's probably overkill. Or, any closed-cell foam will work but I found yoga mats were cheaper and I didn't have to buy a huge roll.

BTW, I learned this from the other FFR Roadster builders and used yoga mat in my Mk3 and it's still okay after 9 years and now the 4th owner.
    Last edited by AZPete; 04-17-2018 at 11:20 PM. Reason: BTW
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    .....and here I thought the yoga mat would only be needed to train getting in and out of my coupe. Added to the list!
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy that mat!!!! It's awesome! Cuts easily! Takes whatever shape you want it to take and super easy to stick it on any fiberglass area with silicon! I have not run mine more than 1 or 2 miles (don't laugh it's not funny) but it's on the car for a while, gravity trying to pull it down and even with hand force it sticks on super well.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    I agree that thin is okay. All it's doing is cushioning pebbles which don't have much mass. The yoga mat I've used is 1/4" but that's probably overkill. Or, any closed-cell foam will work but I found yoga mats were cheaper and I didn't have to buy a huge roll.

BTW, I learned this from the other FFR Roadster builders and used yoga mat in my Mk3 and it's still okay after 9 years and now the 4th owner.

What did you use to “glue” it on Pete?
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Or maybe Super 90. I don't see much difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    The nanny state of California won't let us have 3m super 77.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    The nanny state of California won't let us have 3m super 77.
    Do you need me to ship some to you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the offer, I'll be driving to a more friendly state in a couple months anyway. I'll pick some up when I'm there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Silicon sealant (caulking) is perfect and cheap.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to AZPete I used yoga mat on my wheel wells and glued it on with Loctite panel adhesive. I had to modify one area and the glue was so strong i had trouble getting it off. The othe place I used YOGA mat was on the ceiling of my coupe. I watched intently as Pete’s beautifully covered aluminum headliner would not stay up. I used textured black YOGA mat glued with the same Loctite adhesive. It looks great, and provides some sound proofing too. Try it!