BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5 point harness mount location

Post Thanks / Like

5 point harness mount location

Hello,
    Wondering about the middle harness part. It should be mounted to the floor.
    After I figure the seat location, where to drill the whole? In the seat frame, floor? Also, should it on the edge, or recessed slightly?

Thanks for tips, hints, pics...
    Broku518
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are mounted to the floor, through the steel seat mount plate. So it comes out from under the front of the seat. On our cars with the upright seating position, the function is to keep the lap belt down on your hips and off of your vital organs, vs an anti-submarine function in cars where you are more reclined.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would do a google image search for where and how Simpson (or whoever the manufacturer is) recommends that it be mounted. I had to make the hole in my seat much larger to get the "anti-submarine" belt to bolt to the floor pan where the manufacturer's photos showed that it should go (in relation to how the harness fits my body, not someone else's). You don't attach it to the seat, and my understanding is that bolting the harness to a mount is better, rather than directly bolting it to the floor pan, although the key is making sure the thing won't pull away from the floor pan in a crash. I will try to take a few photos tonight and post what I did (fabricate a mount/attachment point for the belt, as well as a 4' x 5" x 1/8" aluminum plate under the floor pan). I may have 2 extra fabricated mounts, which you can have for shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what is preferred . . .

Doc

Notice that the anchor points are not directly below the driver but actually lined up with the shoulders.
    If using a single belt, obviously centered but still lined up with the shoulders.

The idea is NOT to keep you from sliding out from under the lap belt, the goal is to keep the lap belt over your hips not your lower abdomen where it will crush you and your spine.
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 04-16-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    I would do a google image search for where and how Simpson (or whoever the manufacturer is) recommends that it be mounted. I had to make the hole in my seat much larger to get the "anti-submarine" belt to bolt to the floor pan where the manufacturer's photos showed that it should go (in relation to how the harness fits my body, not someone else's). You don't attach it to the seat, and my understanding is that bolting the harness to a mount is better, rather than directly bolting it to the floor pan, although the key is making sure the thing won't pull away from the floor pan in a crash. I will try to take a few photos tonight and post what I did (fabricate a mount/attachment point for the belt, as well as a 4' x 5" x 1/8" aluminum plate under the floor pan). I may have 2 extra fabricated mounts, which you can have for shipping.
    Thanks Jacob,
    I will google to see more pics and check the Simpson's site as well. I got the FFR supplied set.
    Interested in those mounts as well.
    Thanks,
    Martin
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin,

This is the mounting point I made for the 5th belt. I have the parts for two more already made, and if you can wait a few days until I finish welding some other parts, I'll weld them up and ship them. Just send me your address via private message.

Coupe 5th Belt Mount.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin,

This is the mounting point I made for the 5th belt. I have the parts for two more already made, and if you can wait a few days until I finish welding some other parts, I'll weld them up and ship them. Just send me your address via private message.

Coupe 5th Belt Mount.jpg
    PM sent, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin,

Coupe 5th Belt Mount.jpg
    Good idea Jacob, I never liked the obvious mounting position.

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 04-17-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    While it is best to have the crotch strap come up through the seat, it can be mounted in front of the seat. It won't have much effect on keeping one from sliding forward but that is more important in a lay down seating position as in a formula car. In our cars the lap belt will keep us from sliding forward. The crotch belt will keep the lap belt from riding up and ruining your internal organs in a crash though. I don't use mine too often but when I do, this is my procedure. Connect all 5 belts but adjust them loose. Tighten the lap belt as tight as possible. Next tighten the crotch belt as tight as possible. Tighten the shoulder belts just a little looser than max tightness. IMHO, if you don't have a crotch belt, don't use the shoulder belts.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    While it is best to have the crotch strap come up through the seat, it can be mounted in front of the seat. It won't have much effect on keeping one from sliding forward but that is more important in a lay down seating position as in a formula car. In our cars the lap belt will keep us from sliding forward. The crotch belt will keep the lap belt from riding up and ruining your internal organs in a crash though. I don't use mine too often but when I do, this is my procedure. Connect all 5 belts but adjust them loose. Tighten the lap belt as tight as possible. Next tighten the crotch belt as tight as possible. Tighten the shoulder belts just a little looser than max tightness. IMHO, if you don't have a crotch belt, don't use the shoulder belts.
    Whoa. Have to respectfully disagree with that. That's a pretty big safety no-no. I understand completely that the crotch strap is a necessary part of the 5-point harness and should be used all the time. We do. But don't ever drive these cars without shoulder belts. Even a hard stop or otherwise minor "incident" could face plant you (or your passenger) into the steering wheel, dash, etc. With no air bags and hard surfaces all around, you need to stay planted back in the seat. Better yet, install all the belts and use them all the time.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    A B S O L U T E L Y !! if the belts are there, use them.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.