FFR provides original style taillights for the Type '65 Coupe, and that's presumably just what some customers are looking for. For me, though, I'm looking for a nice car, couldn't care less about originality in a car that isn't really original anyway. IMHO, the four little button taillights are not optimal, not the least of which because they are mounted on a sloped panel and hence look like they'll shine downward at the road.

Here's my idea: I'd like to buy a pair of these cheap generic taillight assemblies for a VW Beetle:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....WC-133-945-096

...and mount them upside down on the rear of the Type '65 Coupe, basically centered within the arc of the vent openings on each side. By mounting them upside down, the slope of the taillight assemblies themselves -- intended to be mounted on VW fenders -- will bring the lenses back to nearly level and pointing rearward as they should. I think this would make the rear of the car look *better*.

I think it would also impact the side profile of the Type '65 Coupe, as I expect the taillights would be visible from the side. Offhand, I think the side view would be improved, as it would moderate the effect of the chopped-angle rear end. Of course, I would mount the license plate directly in the center between these two taillights.

Note that *most* taillights for VW Beetles come in a left or right, the left and right being slightly different somehow. This particular cheap version is the same left or right, and therefore doesn't really match the original Beetle taillights and should be replaced in pairs. I chose it because, on the Type '65 Coupe, I was really looking for two taillights that were the same. That's not to say, though, that the original style taillights in which the left and right are different wouldn't work and look good.

Note also that this set is what's called "European style", meaning the turn signal lens is amber. VW taillight assemblies are also available in "American style" in which the entire lens is red. Some here might prefer that option, I dunno. It might enable you to swap the bulbs around and put the turn signals back on top, if that's important to anyone.

Anybody any good with photoshop? Put together a mockup of what this might look like?

Thoughts?