Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Factory Five Coyote Power Steering- Can't Stop Leaking

Post Thanks / Like

Factory Five Coyote Power Steering- Can't Stop Leaking

Installed the power steering kit from FFR and during my first start the pressure line fitting our of the pump had a serious leak. I've tried two different fittings, o-rings and it is still not sealing. Driving me absolutely bananas as this is preventing me from getting it on the road. Couple questions hoping someone can help with: What might be the best fitting to use and what is the donor pump? Spoke with tech at FFR last week and he thought might be sourced from an '05 Stang? Pulling my hair with this and hoping someone can give advice on ANY fix. I'm getting close to scrapping the entire set up and getting a new pump but would hate to waste so much $$$ and time.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    As a last ditch effort you can use JB Weld as sealant paste on the threads of the fitting into the pump. Obviously, this step is irreversible, but I'd give it a try if nothing else worked and I was faced with replacing the pump anyway.

Cheers,

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Post a picture of the hose end with the nut along with pipe diameter where the oring sits and the nut thread size. Ford used several hose ends and this would help. I personally wouldnt use jb weld. The threads on these lines don’t create the seal. The o-rings are what creates the seal between the line and pump. If you jb weld it and it doesn’t work then the pump and line are now junk. You more then likely have either a bad line or pump not both.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 04-20-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it's my Mac but I can't seem to see where I can add pics to the post?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried 3 different fittings and I think the issue may be solved by using a metal gasket. Ill run the car tomorrow and hit some higher rpms to see if I can detect a leak. Another issue: The pump is really noisy and the pulley is wobbling, not a lot but definitely enough to notice. Not sure if I should pull the pulley and try to re-seat it and unsure if this is causing the excessive noise? A big part of me wants to completely rip out the entire PS system, plug the hydro boost/rack, and put in a manual rack next winter but doubt it is that easy as I have no clue how my power brakes may or may not be impacted. Need to get this sucker on the road!

Post Thanks / Like
    Driving that car with the power rack and hydroboost brakes not boosted is a really bad idea. Resist! Not only would it be extremely unpleasant it's probably not safe. I've JB Welded PS fittings before when I couldn't get them to seal. Yes it's permanent. But beats the leaking alternative if nothing else works. Done properly, they won't leak again.

Is your pump mounted low on the bottom RH corner of the Coyote? If so, agree more than likely that's a mod motor pump. They're pretty cheap if you need to replace. No, the pulley shouldn't wobble.

You're pretty heavily invested already. PS rack, hydroboost setup, etc. Another option would be to replace that mod motor pump with a KRC pump. Very high quality. Would not be inexpensive but should solve your problem permanently. They have a kit specifically for the Coyote, and what Factory Five now sells for the Coyote. But you can buy just the mounting plate and pump directly from KRC. Summit and JEGS also sell KRC stuff.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-21-2018 at 06:28 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Edward. The pump is indeed located on the bottom RH corner of the motor. I'll start it up and post a video later today so you can hear it and see the wobble, I may just have a bogus pump. I may just replace the pump with a OEM type pump so I can at least use the existing bracket and not start from zero. The kit from FFR was not cheap and super dissapointed in the quality. I'll give them a shout Monday and see if they have a solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally sealed! I used a metal gasket and no leaks but....the pulley has a serious wobble. When I received the kit from FFR I noticed there was a ding on the pulley and some of the paint was scratched off. Called FFR and they said their should be no issues. Pulled the pump this weekend and after spinning it on my bench the dent is very noticeable, right where that blemish is. Napa had a pulley in stock (luckily) so, I'm going to replace that today or tomorrow. Doubt FFR can do anything about it now but I'll try them anyway.