Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RJS Camlock Shoulder Harness Straps too Short

Post Thanks / Like

RJS Camlock Shoulder Harness Straps too Short

I purchased RJS harnesses for the 2" wide shoulder strap, and the camlock release. Having my daughter sitting in the car, I had to lengthen the shoulder belt as far out as it could go so that the buckle would be along her waist line.

She's an average sized woman, and those straps where all the way out. What's going to happen when placing a grown man in the seat? Do folk lengthen the shoulder lengths? Is this typical? I thought maybe I purchased the Junior harness, but I don't think so.

Harness I purchased

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there. The obvious first question is where do you have the anchor points for the shoulder belts? If all the belt is used up to get to an anchor point that iw far away, then there is nothing left to some over the shoulder. Typically, the adjustment slide is in the chest area, not over the shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may need to adjust the belts if there is enough webbing. When done the tensioning buckles need to be chest level. If you can’t get this then I would send them back or move where they mount. I haven’t seen 2” Sfi approved racing belts since I was a kid racing. What’s wrong with the 3” belts they offer more area and would reduce shock if they ever are needed? If they are chafing her you can get soft harness pads for like $20. I have run them in my racing cars as the belts can sometimes be uncomfortable when clenched down.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 04-20-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to say you have them installed incorrectly. As others have pointed out, the adjusting buckle needs to be about midway between the shoulder and the waist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave,

My Simpson shoulder belt is 59" long; note that I've unlaced the webbing from the anchor buckle & adjusted for maximum length. Also, you can see that the adjustment slide is approximately 14" from the waist buckle.

If your RJS shoulder belt is significantly less than that, I'd say you've got a mis-packaged product.

John

IMG_4402 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 04-21-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you John. That's helpful.

My shoulder strap is 40" fully extended. The photo shows the lap belt next to it so folks don't think I measured the wrong one

I guess I'm going to send this back to get something else. Someone wrote a review on the summit site stating the same problem.

2018-04-22_08-41-55 by D. R., on Flickr
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a difference.......LOL

Even though the new G-Force in the photo is let out all of the way and the RJS is closed up a bit to ship back, it's not even close.

2018-04-27_08-46-13 by D. R., on Flickr
    Dave