BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trunk Prop with Gas Struts

Post Thanks / Like

Trunk Prop with Gas Struts

Just thought I'd share my variant of the Gas Strut powered trunk prop system. It's based on one I saw in this forum.. or the other one.. not sure.
    The main difference is that I added an additional piece of metal to effect a change in the lever pivot point. When the trunk is closed, the strut is pushing almost straight at the pivot, so it's hardly trying to open the trunk at all. In fact, the trunk won't open at all by itself. But, once the trunk is a little over 1/4 open, the leverage is enough to hold the trunk in position. By 1/2 way open, the struts are opening the trunk on their own. The benefit as I see it is that when the trunk is closed, it's not putting any force up on the trunk skin at all. Thus, hopefully eliminating any chance of it bowing or flexing. When the trunk is open, the bracket pretty much ends up sitting about as low as the normal trunk bracket does when the trunk is closed. So.. not really any change in trunk space. The struts are on just a slight angle towards the hinges since I mounted them between the should belts. But, not enough of an angle to do any harm at all. The sharp eyes among us will also see the red-and-black switch used to turn on the strip of LED trunk lights.

The struts are 40lb. Suspa C16-20651. $30 on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MUY8U4/

The added metal bracket was made from a 4" Corner Bracket from Home Depot. Just cut down a little to size and holes drilled and painted black. Mounted with a few 3/8" carriage bolts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...5446/202034277

As you can see here, the strut is pushing almost straight at the pivot when the trunk is closed.
    Last edited by skidd; 04-24-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea, curious on how it works over time! I had installed the usual one even after other Forum members had mentioned/found that it pushes up on the front-top of the trunk. I re-installed mine after it was painted when the trunk initially fitted perfect. Afterwards, it pushed up on the driver’s side, however, I was able to re-adjust it back down and so far, everything is remaining flush. I really do like having the pneumatic lift assist...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just dropped the strut pressure with a different set. Holds trunk open but will not push it up on its own. Lid is still flat to the body.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the microswitch for, trunk closed signal or alarm system? Good idea for either.

Post Thanks / Like
    The micro switch turns on the LED light strip when the trunk is fully open. Could easily be adapted for an alarm trigger. Would need to be tripped off the other side of the arm though, so it would trip right away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, didn't even think of a trunk light.
    Will have to add that to my build.