FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Back Up Light Wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Back Up Light Wiring

As far as I can tell there is no power wire for a backup light in the rear harness. Where is the best place to pick up power? I'm assuming it is just a loop that puts the backup light switch that is in the TKO in series with the circuit?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct. No wires for backup lights in the Ron Francis harness. Also correct, the switch in the transmission just completes the circuit when shifted into reverse gear. If the current draw of your intended fixture is low (e.g. LED) it could be piggybacked onto another circuit. Or onto an unused circuit, if you have one. Just make sure it's a ignition key switched circuit. Not an always on battery circuit. You don't want leaving it in reverse with the ignition off to drain the battery.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel
    Is your backup light permanent? Where did you mount it and what light are you using? If i need it for registration i might make it permanent or replace it with a permanent third brake light... or just remove it altogether. I do like the idea of a third brake light. On youtube videos from CSX’s in europe, ive seen light fixtures under the body or attatched to the bumper
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Sorry that I missed this post and question initially. I have the wiring in place for the back up light which I think we will need to go through the registration process in California. As yet, I have not chosen the light or made the decision whether or not it will be permanent. If I found the right light fixture that fit the car I might make it permanent. My car has gone to paint and so I won't see it for a bit. Maybe in the meantime I will start looking around for a light. If you find something you like, let me know. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by japollon View Post
    Hi, Sorry that I missed this post and question initially. I have the wiring in place for the back up light which I think we will need to go through the registration process in California. As yet, I have not chosen the light or made the decision whether or not it will be permanent. If I found the right light fixture that fit the car I might make it permanent. My car has gone to paint and so I won't see it for a bit. Maybe in the meantime I will start looking around for a light. If you find something you like, let me know. Joel

My plan was to find something that complied and then remove after inspection. I bought a Grote #60721 Micro Nova DOT LED light. Grote is a good brand that we use on our commercial vehicles. The Micro Nova is 1" diameter. I had it zip tied to my bumper but my brake and light inspector wouldn't let that fly. Said it had to be permanently mounted. I made a small L bracket, cut the 1" hole and riveted to the bottom rear trunk aluminum. Now I plan to just leave it in place since you can't see it unless it is on. When it is on, it is very bright.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a couple of bee hive lights, that felt matched the style of the existing lights. Lower wattage bulbs didn't require a relay, as the witch is heavy enough. Couple of Z shaped brackets mounted to the lower trunk frame, holds them in place.

I look at the safety aspect of having them. It's a small car, and when backing out of a parking spot, I want it to be as obvious as possible.

Roadster1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks you guys for the back up light fixture input. Both of these are great solutions! Joel