Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Oil Temp Sending unit location

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Temp Sending unit location

Hi All- quick question. Am I ok to use this free port on top of oil pan for the oil temp sending unit? The left port has dipstick. There is another port above pan in the block I was planning to put oil pressure unit. Pic was hard to get - hopefully has enough to go off.

Thanks

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I think typically you want the sender unit to be in the oil. Can't tell by the picture if that is the case or not. If it is, you should be good to go. I know that oil pans are not always full.

Post Thanks / Like
    NO, the is a poor location as the sensor will not be in the oil
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Right makes sense. Ok I see another port on rear of pan down low. I haveit circled in the attached pic. This is not the drain port that sits towards the front of pan as you can see. Does this port make sense to use?IMG_4946.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zanman View Post
    Right makes sense. Ok I see another port on rear of pan down low. I haveit circled in the attached pic. This is not the drain port that sits towards the front of pan as you can see. Does this port make sense to use?IMG_4946.jpeg
    The one you have circled is the drain for the rear sump. You have a FOX style oil pan and they typically have a drain plug for each sump. You can not use either of those.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes ok that too makes sense. Clearly I’m limping through this lol. So where are most installing these oil temp sending units?? I see no other ports that would be in the oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not have enough ports for the oil temp and oil pressure so I used an oil filter sandwich that had additional ports integrated in the side, and just kept the unused ones plugged.

8. Likes weendoggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Huh now that’s an interesting idea. Checked them out online and that would solve everything actually. And all in one place. You don’t have any leaks with that do you? Know what the better brands are for that type of aftermarket part?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zanman View Post
    Hi All- quick question. Am I ok to use this free port on top of oil pan for the oil temp sending unit? The left port has dipstick. There is another port above pan in the block I was planning to put oil pressure unit. Pic was hard to get - hopefully has enough to go off.

Thanks

Mike
    It depends on how "deep" that sump portion is. If the sender will sit in oil, then it's fine. Because it looks like you have the pan on the engine, it's tuff to say. If it was off, you could put 5-6 qts of water in the pan (of course it's to check depth) and see where it comes to. Most pans are rated by either system or capacity totals, they mean different things.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the make and model of your oil pan?
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
    It depends on how "deep" that sump portion is. If the sender will sit in oil, then it's fine. Because it looks like you have the pan on the engine, it's tuff to say. If it was off, you could put 5-6 qts of water in the pan (of course it's to check depth) and see where it comes to. Most pans are rated by either system or capacity totals, they mean different things.
    The trouble with that is, when the engine is running especially at higher RPM's, there is a lot of oil 'up' in the engine, could be 2-3 qts.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    The trouble with that is, when the engine is running especially at higher RPM's, there is a lot of oil 'up' in the engine, could be 2-3 qts.
    Like I said, "it depends on how "deep" that sump portion is". If it sits in 4 qts of oil, you're 2-3 qts. won't matter. OP also has to figure out oil capacity of a remote or other type of fluid system they have. That makes a difference too.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm