Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1999 4.6L SOHC oil pan recommendations and dressing options

Post Thanks / Like

1999 4.6L SOHC oil pan recommendations and dressing options

Hey guys,

I'm prepping my 99 4.6L SOHC for install. My primary question is around the oil pan. The manual suggests buying a shallow oil pan from Morosso or Canton. The OEM oil pan seems to be about the same depth as the Morosso pans I'm looking at. Are there other reasons for upgrading the pan? Any advice or part numbers?

Regarding engine dressing, I'm doing the following: (the engine already has aluminum pulley kit and BBK 78mm throttle body)
    - Aluminum valve covers (not many options out there) (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...view/make/ford)
    - Cold air induction system from BBK . (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bbk-1718)
    - New coil pack (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-82428)

I would love to replace the plastic intake manifold, but not finding anything that doesn't compromise low RPM power for more HP on the higher RPM's. Not what I want - I'm looking for low end torque/power.

Curious what others have done for performance and dressing components on their 4.6L SOHC's.

Thanks,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2001 4.6 SOHC in my Roadster. My modifications have gone a bit beyond dressing the engine. Last year I switched the intake to the Edelbrock Victor Jr and installed a 4 barrel carb (500 cfm), worked pretty good and reasonable power lower in the power band (I have 3.73 rearend gears, so my car gets over 3000 rpm fairly quick. This weekend we are in the process of installing Trick Flow Heads and Modular Head Shop Stage 2.5 cams. Should get me to around or over 400 hp. I made my own air cleaner for the carb due to limited clearance to the hood. Hopefully the engine will be back in the car next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to check in with Richard Oben at North Racecars. He offers oil pans, and several years ago worked with Champ pans to develop an improved pan for the 4.6.
    John
    Gen 3 Coupe #334 received 11/4/21. Coyote, IRS, TKX, Wilwoods
    '02 GT donor, 4.6 sohc, Received #5488 on 5/29/06. 3-link, ps, pb. Hoosier Cobra member (Hoosiercobra.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a Champ Road Race pan #CP4654 with a W4654SB pickup on my 04 DOHC. The 7 quart pan with full windage tray fits nice, looks nice, and does not extend below the bottom of the 4" main rails.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Moroso oil pan designed for the Cobra Replica Car since it is a shallow pan compared to the stock one. Part number 20549, pick-up tube part number is 24547 and the gasket part number 93164.

http://www.shopmoroso.com/eb/catalog...nuId=main.menu

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a pan from North Race Cars on my 4.6 DOHC. The engine came with a Moroso pan, but after doing some measurements it became clear that the pan would be the lowest point by a couple of inches. Further, the barrels in the Champ pan are superior for the occasional track days.
    Hope that helps. BTW have a brand new Moroso pan for sale cheap.
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
    I have a 2001 4.6 SOHC in my Roadster. My modifications have gone a bit beyond dressing the engine. Last year I switched the intake to the Edelbrock Victor Jr and installed a 4 barrel carb (500 cfm), worked pretty good and reasonable power lower in the power band (I have 3.73 rearend gears, so my car gets over 3000 rpm fairly quick. This weekend we are in the process of installing Trick Flow Heads and Modular Head Shop Stage 2.5 cams. Should get me to around or over 400 hp. I made my own air cleaner for the carb due to limited clearance to the hood. Hopefully the engine will be back in the car next weekend.
    Whoa! Nice mods for power gains. I think I'm going to see how this runs with what I have before adding power. I suspect I'll get to that point quickly. ;-) . Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BTHWarrior View Post
    I used the Moroso oil pan designed for the Cobra Replica Car since it is a shallow pan compared to the stock one. Part number 20549, pick-up tube part number is 24547 and the gasket part number 93164.

http://www.shopmoroso.com/eb/catalog...nuId=main.menu
    Thanks BTHWarrior. I went with this pan, pickup and gasket. Appreciate your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
    Whoa! Nice mods for power gains. I think I'm going to see how this runs with what I have before adding power. I suspect I'll get to that point quickly. ;-) . Thank you!
    Thanks. Hopefully the engine is going back in the car this weekend. Can't wait to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    My stock 4.6 SOHC oil pan dragged the ground on my driveway first time I pulled it out of the garage. So I bought the shorty oil pick up tube from Canton (only Jeggs had it, everywhere else had it on website, but when I tried to order it was indefinatly backordered) I cut the bottom 2" off the stock oil pan and build my own bottom half with "T" shape to get back the capacity I cut off. I also added a few extra fittings, so I can have return lines if I pull the trigger on the twin turb set up I am contemplating

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WarDamnEagle View Post
    My stock 4.6 SOHC oil pan dragged the ground on my driveway first time I pulled it out of the garage. So I bought the shorty oil pick up tube from Canton (only Jeggs had it, everywhere else had it on website, but when I tried to order it was indefinatly backordered) I cut the bottom 2" off the stock oil pan and build my own bottom half with "T" shape to get back the capacity I cut off. I also added a few extra fittings, so I can have return lines if I pull the trigger on the twin turb set up I am contemplating
    Good plan WDE, I have a 4.6l 3v and I plan to do the same with my oil pan. Did you modify the existing pickup by cutting some off it and welding back up? I am hoping to do that but we'll have to see.