Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Questions

First of all, I am excited to become part of this group. I have placed my order and am starting to plan my build. However reading up on topics here can become confusing and I'm trying to sort it all out. It is even harder since I don't have the kit yet.

As questions come up, I try to search them but find out dated information or no answer at all.

Wilwood pedals:
    Are these standard when ordering the kit or are these an upgraded part? It seems everyone refers to them as such. Instead of just saying the pedal kit, which makes me think it is an upgraded option.

Wiring harness:
    Is the Ron Francis kit standard. I notice it is for sale on their site and in the past it has been listed as a "required" mod. The instructions for it are for Factory Five but differ from the one in the manual directly from Factory Five.

Right now those are the two questions I can remember. I should have written the others down. I'm sure they will come back to me. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both are standard with the complete kit

Note: Wilwood brakes are an upgrade
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the community!

Don't be bashful about asking questions; we love to help. To help steer you in the right direction, add a signature line with the specifics for your build. You have to have some minimum number of posts (10? 20?) before you can add the signature line.

John

P.S. Regarding the harness, the instructions (both RF and F5) are written without knowing anything about YOUR specific build. DO NOT cut any relay wires until you understand what signal (+12V vs Ground) is required for YOUR particular setup.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good. I always try to search first but lately it seems that Factory Five has accommodated for some of the downfalls of previous versions. Which is awesome but the documentation is hard to follow between builds of older versions and current models.

My plan is for an undetermined color with black accents. I want the engine bay, specifically the firewall and foot boxes, to be black. How are people achieving this. Currently my plan is to powder coat and possibly get a supply of black rivets to complete the look. Is there a better way? Currently looking into lizard skin as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthquazi View Post
    Sounds good. I always try to search first but lately it seems that Factory Five has accommodated for some of the downfalls of previous versions. Which is awesome but the documentation is hard to follow between builds of older versions and current models.

My plan is for an undetermined color with black accents. I want the engine bay, specifically the firewall and foot boxes, to be black. How are people achieving this. Currently my plan is to powder coat and possibly get a supply of black rivets to complete the look. Is there a better way? Currently looking into lizard skin as well.
    Welcome. Factory Five is making constant changes so not unusual for builds, especially older ones, to not have all the latest whatever. Same for documentation. But it's all good. They're here to help as we are. Questions like the Wilwood pedal box and Ron Francis wiring harness in the complete kit are easy questions. Ron Francis wiring harnesses have been in complete kits for quite a while. Wilwood pedal boxes were made standard in the Mk4. Before that, Mustang donor pedal boxes were the norm. As already stated, the brakes themselves in the complete kit are OE style in the front, and options for the back depending on rear suspension selected. Wilwood brakes are options all around.

Other questions are going to have opinions more than clearcut answers. Powder coating is one of them. I personally like powder coating and use it on my builds. But there are other options. I also like Lizard Skin, and have used that on all my builds as well. But only on the inside. It's a latex product that isn't super hard, remains a little absorbent, and isn't particularly smooth. No problem at all when underneath carpet inside the cockpit. Not so good IMO for the engine facing panels. Won't be nearly so easy to keep clean and over time isn't going to look as good as powder coat. Again, in my opinion. Lizard Skin is now selling a solvent based spray to go over the standard latex Lizard Skin to make it a little more durable and give a better look. I've tried it and it's OK. But I still prefer the LS on the inside under the carpet. Having said that, others have used it all over including as an undercoat. So lots of opinions.

Good luck with your build.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pedal box would depend on the kit, base or complete. the base kit assumes you are harvesting a mustang pedal box. the complete kit assumes no stock mustang parts harvested. so if you ordered a complete kit expect the Wilwood pedal box. HTH.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    I place d my order for a complete kit. I have yet to receive a confirmation email for my order so I am holding off on listing the details until I start a new thread with all of the details. I did however just get told that my completion date is 5/19 which is a lot sooner than I anticipated!

I have no experience with lizard skin but I can now see why it would be a bad idea inside the engine bay. My original plan was to powder coat anyway,even if I had it covered. I just am trying to plan for the look and don't like the idea of silver rivets standing in out.
    Last edited by Dthquazi; 04-23-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may already know this, but based on how you worded it i just want to make sure you know powdercoat and lizard skin serve 2 different purposes and can both be used.
    Powder coat is for aesthetics and preventing oxidation
    Lizard skin is for insulation of sound and heat
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    We'll be "siblings" ... My completion date is also 5/19. Give it some time and you'll get your snail-mail packet.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    We'll be "siblings" ... My completion date is also 5/19. Give it some time and you'll get your snail-mail packet.
    That's exciting. I am still waiting for the packet. I will start a build thread shortly. I will also update my signature when I get enough posts.

This is the worst part. I have to get my garage in order which won't be hard. But the waiting and all of the ideas I am having without being able to physically see the kit and mess around with it is hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's exciting. I am still waiting for the packet. I will start a build thread shortly. I will also update my signature when I get enough posts.

This is the worst part. I have to get my garage in order which won't be hard. But the waiting and all of the ideas I am having without being able to physically see the kit and mess around with it is hard.
    Congratulations to both of you. I don't know if I am the odd looking triplet or a cousin born on the same day, however, my Type 65 Coupe should be completed on 5/19 as well. Are you two using Stewart Shipping? Mine will be getting shipped to Colorado.

Also, what do you mean by snail-mail packet? Maybe it is different for the Type 65 Coupe, however, I have not gotten any packet and I ordered back on 2/28. Maybe they just send them out a couple weeks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did however just get told that my completion date is 5/19 which is a lot sooner than I anticipated!.
    Congrats on your purchase! I just recently placed mine as well. Are you sure that’s not 6/19? I placed mine on 4/10 and my date is 6/16. If yours is 5/19, I might have to make a phone call and crack the whip on mine! ��. It would be great if we could get them in May!
    Last edited by cv2065; 04-24-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Trust me, you will have many, many more questions. Just my 2 cents - you should reconsider the idea of a black engine bay. When I was at the stage of asking about things like that, other builders suggested that keeping the engine bay a light color (e.g. unfinished, silver powder coat, etc.) makes it easier to spot things like oil leaks. You have a number of choices for heat/sound insulation, so read what others have to say on that topic. You should be able to find plenty of info on that in these posts. Personally, I went with "Cool It Thermo Tec" because a number of other forum members recommended it! The RF harness, as noted above, comes with the kit. How you use it will depend on your choice of engine and gauges.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Just because I am going into Powder coating stage tomorrow, its also worth looking at your color options. I used https://www.prismaticpowders.com/ to go thru the color choices and order swatches to then narrow down to the final choices. I am going with a brighter silver in the engine bay for functional (spot leaks) and aesthetic purposes (brighter to show the motor). There's lots of good color inspiration to get on here as well as this weekend at the HB Cruise In (looking forward to meeting many of you and getting inspired!). I just painted a couple of sample colors for the body 5 minutes ago (based on advice from WarEagleScott to order colors from here www.automotivetouchup.com/), so excited to see how it looks when it dries. The colors is something that has a lot of lead time that you can work on now while you wait (wish I had, been blocked on powder coating my panels for 3 weeks now).

Welcome and best wishes!
    -B
    MK4 Complete Kit #9311 - Coyote, TKO600, IRS
    Ordered: 1/23/18 | Production Complete: 3/6/18 | Delivery: 3/30/18
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Congratulations to both of you. I don't know if I am the odd looking triplet or a cousin born on the same day, however, my Type 65 Coupe should be completed on 5/19 as well. Are you two using Stewart Shipping? Mine will be getting shipped to Colorado.
    Yes, I plan on using Stewart. Maybe we can "tag-team" them and guarantee two slots in the trailer will be filled for a westbound run. I haven't made any final plans with them, just an initial quote.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Yes, I plan on using Stewart. Maybe we can "tag-team" them and guarantee two slots in the trailer will be filled for a westbound run. I haven't made any final plans with them, just an initial quote.
    John,
    If you are just over 3 weeks away from completion and haven't locked in with Stewart yet I suggest that you do so sooner rather than later or you could find yourself waiting.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I double checked the message and it says 5/19. I hope this is true since I booked with Stewart for this date. Looks like mine will be in the nose since I am up in Seattle.

Post Thanks / Like
    I double checked the message and it says 5/19. I hope this is true since I booked with Stewart for this date. Looks like mine will be in the nose since I am up in Seattle.
    Good for you Bud!! I'm going to have to make a phone call...

Post Thanks / Like
    Another Seattle-area build! We've got several kits active in build right now. Welcome!
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you guys gotten your packets in the mail yet? I still have not gotten anything other then the email after I ordered back at the end of Feb.