Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Canton oil pan/oil temp sensor

Post Thanks / Like

Canton oil pan/oil temp sensor

Now that I have a few miles on this there is always a couple little issues that come up. The oil temp sensor is plumbed into the Canton Pan on top of one of the kickouts. It is not sitting in the oil so the temps are as far as I can see is just the air temp inside the motor. At an idle it does come up a little I would assume since a little more oil is in the pan but rarely gets above 140. Once underway it drops back to rest just measuring air temps inside the motor. Looking for a solution to get the sensor "in" the oil. Besides pulling the pan and welding in a bung down low I saw one of these. https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oil-...unf-16-thread/ Come to find out they are located about 2 miles from my house. Has anyone used one of these with success? I have the room for this. Running a 408W from Gordon Levy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your link is broken.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use an oil cooler adapter on the spin-on oil filter boss to install my temperature sensor. No removing the pan and welding a bung -- easy install and gets the sensor right in the oil stream the pump sees. Just be sure that you either buy one without the bi-metal temperature control valve or disable it so you always have flow past the sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWilkinson View Post
    Your link is broken.
    Crap!

https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oil-...wich-adapters/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    I use an oil cooler adapter on the spin-on oil filter boss to install my temperature sensor. No removing the pan and welding a bung -- easy install and gets the sensor right in the oil stream the pump sees. Just be sure that you either buy one without the bi-metal temperature control valve or disable it so you always have flow past the sensor.
    This one from Glow Shift is just a sandwich adapter. Now the link should work and you can see there is no restriction at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4me View Post

It is not sitting in the oil so the temps are as far as I can see is just the air temp inside the motor.

At an idle it does come up a little I would assume since a little more oil is in the pan but rarely gets above 140.
    Oil temp is "load related".

If you run it down the interstate for 30 minutes, it should come up to around 10 degrees F above water temp.

Assuming you're not losing more heat out of the oil pan than you're putting in it with "load".

Generally, you should have enough oil in the pan "kickouts" to have the sensor in "oil", not "air".

I did machine an adapter to keep a speedhut sensor in my oil better (kickouts).

But if you don't "drive it like a racecar, or like you stole it", these cars are notorious for "low oil temp".

Because you can't get enough load on the engine to get the oil temp up (without becoming a traffic felon...).

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I make a few temp sensor adaptors for the Canton & Moroso oil pans.
    Either an electric sensor or mechanical sensor adapter.
    Mike Forte: Forte's Parts Connection / Framingham, Mass. 01702 / 508 875 0016 / [email protected] / fortesparts.com / Facebook Instagram: @fortespartconnection Est: 1981 dealing performance parts to build your dream car. A REAL SPEED SHOP with parts, price & knowledge. Developer of the early Ford & FE Tremec and Mustang firewall adjustable quadrant kits, external slave clutch release conversions & cable release conversions. Tremec Elite, FORD RACING & QUICKTIME DISTRIBUTOR!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike forte View Post
    Hi,
    Its an electrical sensor. I will give you a call. Thanks Mike

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Like THE NAZ, I too used a Sandwich Adapter which was from CVS Racing so check out the attached link below:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cvs-ocs64

I simply drilled 5 or 6 3/8" holes in it and blocked off one of the ports.

It worked well on my Chevy Engine so I'm assuming it will work with my new Dart Block which can be seen in the attached YOUTUBE:

https://youtu.be/-nVDzIjSjh8

The cool thing is that you can even use it to pick up your oil pressure too.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-24-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I originally had the sensor on the Canton oil pan and had the same issue. I installed the glowshift sandwich adapter and now get accurate oil temp readings. Very happy.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMOCO View Post
    I originally had the sensor on the Canton oil pan and had the same issue. I installed the glowshift sandwich adapter and now get accurate oil temp readings. Very happy.
    Thanks. That is what I wanted to hear. I'll have to pick one up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike forte View Post
    Hi,
    Mike
    Looked at your site but couldn't find a link or any information on it. Any more details?

Paul

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    Here are 3 adapters I make.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ETFl54Es0fqo7U9r1
    Mike Forte: Forte's Parts Connection / Framingham, Mass. 01702 / 508 875 0016 / [email protected] / fortesparts.com / Facebook Instagram: @fortespartconnection Est: 1981 dealing performance parts to build your dream car. A REAL SPEED SHOP with parts, price & knowledge. Developer of the early Ford & FE Tremec and Mustang firewall adjustable quadrant kits, external slave clutch release conversions & cable release conversions. Tremec Elite, FORD RACING & QUICKTIME DISTRIBUTOR!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did just install the Glowshift sandwich adapter. I had the room and they are like 2 miles from my house. Install took about 10 minutes. Took it out yesterday and I finally have real oil temp readings. Runs around town about 210 and when I start to put some rpms in the motor it goes to maybe 220-230. No real long consistant rpms though. I would assume it will climb a little if that was done. One more little project checked off the list.