Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Rookie

Post Thanks / Like

Rookie

I am new to the forum. After getting kids through college, paying for weddings, and spending way too many hours at work, I am finally in a position to build a cobra replica roadster. I am in the early stages of researching all my options so I can place my order with Factory Five. I am not a fabricator so I am going to go pretty much "by the book". I will order a complete kit from FFR and am leaning toward buying an engine/transmission from Blueprint. Which leads to my first of many questions; it looks like FFR had a relationship with Summit Racing to supply engines in the past but now says Blueprint is the vendor of choice. Can someone give me the history as to what happened and if Blueprint is the best way to go for a drop-in drive train? Also, it appears that most of the new builders are using the Coyote engine. I'm leaning toward a small block Ford with EFI. Am I making a decision I will regret? Although I intend to do my build by the book, I am wanting to add air conditioning. Has anyone used the unit by Whitby: (http://www.whitbymotorsports.com/UIn...ventoryid=1653) and, if so, how did it work out?

I'm sure I will have tons of questions but this is a start. Everyone on the forum seems more than willing to help, so thanks in advance. I look forward to the journey!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong with a SBF w/EFI, been running one for 15 years now with no regrets . . . but that's me. You need to decide what you want to do with the car and build in that direction. I built mine to be a highway cruiser, not a track car, so "creature comfort" was priority one with my wife - comfort over brute HP. We like to go on long trips, so comfort, good gas mileage and reliability were important.

Remember, the original concept of the F5 Cobra was a donor build, using a '88-'89 FORD 5.0 with its matching T5 transmission and the 8.8 rear end, all from a Mustang.

Put together a build plan and stick to it - this forum, and the other forum, will gladly help you spend your money.

FWIW, Blueprint, Mike Forte, Gordon Levy and a few others will be glad to help you out drive, train-wise.

Welcome to the madness.

Hopefully others will chime in here with their opinions on what you should do

Never hold back from asking questions, this and the other forum are an endless source of knowledge and most will give it freely.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 04-23-2018 at 08:10 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Randy,

Welcome aboard and I totally get the obligation part of life as do many of the members of this forum.
    You've come to the right place and will be building the best, most well thought out race car that comes in a box, okay lots of boxes.
    Check out Edwardb's last two MK-4 build threads because his work is excellent and extremely well documented.
    Why Edwardb, well he did a SBF and a Coyote so you can poke around and make a very informed powertrain decision.
    Also, get the manual and read it a couple of times before your kit comes in.
    It will really help you during the inventory process and really helps when you start your build.

Good Luck From The Southeast Louisiana!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-23-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

Many thanks. I too am looking to build a roadster with some "creature comfort", hence the air conditioner question. I have been visiting the forum as a guest for weeks now and have been so impressed by the support provided. There is a wealth of information. I ordered the assembly manual and have looked it over once already. I will follow your advice and do so again. Our daughter is getting married this weekend so I will be placing my FFR order next week! It looks like it takes a couple of months to arrive? Can't wait to get started.

Thanks again,

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy,

Welcome to the forum and to the Factory Five family. Your plan sounds very familiar, as in exactly where I was before ordering my kit. I was asking a lot of the same questions and thought that I'd build my car "by the book" to keep it simple and keep the cost down. That said, I've done a mostly by the book build. I've deviated in a couple of areas where I simply didn't care for the way the assembly looked or the parts provided were not what I envisioned. For example, I really didn't like the battery location and opted to go with one of the two most popular relocation options; the FFMetal under the trunk floor kit. The cooling system that comes with the kit will work, but after seeing the Boig Motorsports Cool Tubes, I went that direction. Other small details emerged as my build progressed; upholstery on the transmission tunnel cover, foot operated headlight dimmer, power buss bar, ********** shifter, and other small items. I really wanted to have as much a plug and play build as possible, and that drove me to Blueprint for the drive train. I couldn't be more pleased with that choice. I have their 347 with power steering and EFI with the TKO-600. The entire setup came fully assembled and ready to put in the car. Integrating the EFI with the Ron Francis electrical harness took a bit of research and calls to Blueprint, FAST, and Factory Five along with help form my fellow builders. In the end, it came together very nicely and the engine started on the very first turn of the key; just like you see on all those custom car shows! They also offer an A/C option for the accessory drive (MARCH). I also ordered my rear end with the kit and it went in without any issues and is a very nice piece that shipped directly from Moser. I splurged a bit in some areas like leather seats, padded dash, vintage gauges, Gas-N side pipes, and Wilwood brakes.

Good luck and as others have said, ask questions! I've never been part of a forum as helpful and selfless as the members have made this one.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 04-23-2018 at 10:04 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve for the shoutout. The links to the two build threads he mentioned are in my sig line below. Mk4 #7750 is a small block (DART, but same idea), and Mk4 #8674 is a Coyote. I wouldn't call either exactly by the book builds. I do color outside the lines a little sometimes. But still should be useful for you. I absolutely love the Coyote Roadster, and if you ever get a chance to ride or even drive you would find out why. But I totally get that some what the more traditional look and sound of a pushrod V-8. Probably some are intimidated by the size and perceived difficulty of installing the Coyote. Some are concerned about the cost. That's a whole other discussion though. I don't have any actual data, but I don't know that "most" builders now are Coyote. It's popular but there are lots of others too. Do your homework and build what works for you.

I don't know that Factory Five ever had an actual trading partner relationship with Summit. There were some pre-configured parts packages (and still are I think) geared toward Factory Five builds. But from what I could tell they were regular Summit catalog parts that were grouped together for ordering convenience and more a marketing thing by Summit. I did the math on a couple a few years ago, and there wasn't any savings as I recall. So I wouldn't read anything into that. Clearly they have established a working relationship with Blueprint, similar I think as they have with Koni, Toyo, Wilwood, etc. I personally haven't dealt with them, but hear nothing but good things from guys who have gone the Blueprint route. Sounds like they will put together whatever you want.

Good luck with your upcoming build and welcome to the party.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-24-2018 at 06:19 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Randy
    I debated the engine choice for a long time. My current daily driver is a very nice 2010 Camaro SS with the LS3. So not getting into LS vs Coyote I just love the responsiveness, reliability and power. Same features the Coyote brings to the table. That does not mean a well built SBF does not have those but the modern platforms have, in my opinion, taken advantage of the latest engineering and technology I think to everyone's benefit. It feels great cruising down the highway at 80mph getting 25+ mpg sitting behind 425hp.

When I was going through this debate folks like EdwardB were blazing the trail for the coyote. Between their efforts and the customer service ethic Factory Five has, the challenges of putting a coyote in the roaster platform have been mostly smoothed out.
    So what did I do is mostly guided by why am I building my cobra. I have always loved cars. Like you life is full of the joys of raising a family getting them through collage and on their own journey's, hopefully well prepared. During that time I didn't have the time to maintain my emotional connection with my cars or cars in general. They became tools and things just like everything else in my life and I just needed it to work when I turned the key and get me from A to B. I am building my Cobra because I have more time I can put towards my car passion. While I really like my 2010 Camaro I want a more emotional attachment with this vehicle.

I went SBF with EFI. The choice was driven by emotion not logic, not something this computer scientist with a mathematics degree usually does. While I did go complete kit with IRS, hydraulic clutch and power steering I just wanted 1) the older school driving experience of the traditional stroker engine,2) a little less computer control over the engine 3) and that look and sound. I do expect it will be reliable, probably far too responsive and it is overpowered. Like Doc it is going to be a cruiser daily driver and will replace the Camaro and my Royal Star Venture highway cruiser motorcycle. I will also try and make it as comfortable as you can make a 1960's based race car because I expect it will be driven over 10,000 miles a year. The hardest part I already know will be getting my ole fat butt in and out of the cockpit.

As to if I will regret this decision I do not know but I doubt I will. I already have a good attachment to my build, as with our other long term relationships, it is unlikely to be perfect but sometimes it is those little flaws and eccentricities we really love the most.

Ok that was a damn long winded response just on power train. For your build. I would highly recommend the build school if you can fit it in. If not build school seek out someone that has a build in progress and if they are anything like me be prepared to spend many hours as they joyfully walk you through their build and point out the tribal knowledge stuff. I had read the manual a few times but getting my hands on the actual assemblies under the tutelage of the instructors at Mott pulled it all together for me. This is the biggest mechanical car thing I have ever undertook and it really helped me. I read the forum very regularly, I dont post that often and am behind on my build thread. I can first hand say, the help here is priceless. Okay not priceless great ideas have me shopping our vendors or picking up mods and tools a little too often.

You may find the order fulfillment does not take a couple of months. Be patient with logistics getting delivery fires, snowstorms, lives of the people it takes to transport, hurricanes etc could happen, it isn't personal yep had it all.

oh and this is the handiest trick this 37 year computer veteran learned here. In google use this - site:https://thefactoryfiveforum.com what you want to search for
    I cant count the hours this has saved me finding the thing I need to figure out.

Ron
    MK4 # 9181 - Complete Kit - 408 EFI, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 2017-10-06
    Build Thread - http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...499#post299499

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though my wife drives a 2015 Mustang and we love the engine in that car, I am partial to 351 based sbf. Your idea of sbf w/ efi would be my choice. I wish the current efi systems were available 6-7 yrs ago. I have spent so much time and $ on carb, that I can't justify switching. Since you want AC, do a bunch of research on whether that will work on a Coyote. I don't know for sure but there have been some threads on PS and/or AC and there being room for them. One or the other but not both? It's a wide engine so a lot less room. BTW, I can't recommend PS strongly enough. For me it's an absolute necessity. BTW2, welcome to a life changing event.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Since you want AC, do a bunch of research on whether that will work on a Coyote. I don't know for sure but there have been some threads on PS and/or AC and there being room for them. One or the other but not both? It's a wide engine so a lot less room. BTW, I can't recommend PS strongly enough. For me it's an absolute necessity. BTW2, welcome to a life changing event.
    No problem doing both PS and A/C both with a Coyote. Used to be a problem because the aftermarket PS pumps were often going where Ford has the A/C compressor. No more. The A/C compressor goes where Ford designed it. The aftermarket PS pump goes on a mounting plate above it. Factory Five is selling the KRC setup when you order the power steering option for the Coyote, and it's configured this way.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy,

I attended the Build School last December and my complete kit was delivered mid-January. Like many folks on this forum I'm in my sixties and had to wait until my wife and I had raised a family and retired before building a replica of my dream car from the 1960s.

The really cool thing about the Factory Five Roadster is that you can make it what you want. I'm an old school guy and went with the Blueprint 351/427. We installed the engine and transmission (TKO-600) last week. I ordered my engine with the Holley Sniper EFI and Johnny at Blueprint has been very helpful on wiring advice for the EFI.

I have closely followed Papa's and EdwardB's build threads and have adopted many of the upgrades that they used.

The bottom line for me was to enjoy this process and with all of the support from forum members I have.

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    No problem doing both PS and A/C both with a Coyote. Used to be a problem because the aftermarket PS pumps were often going where Ford has the A/C compressor. No more. The A/C compressor goes where Ford designed it. The aftermarket PS pump goes on a mounting plate above it. Factory Five is selling the KRC setup when you order the power steering option for the Coyote, and it's configured this way.
    Good news. Thanks EdwardB for cluing me in . I was pretty sure I had seen some problems posted but, not having a Coyote, I don't pay super close attention. It's good FFR has it all figured out now.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy's View Post
    I am new to the forum. After getting kids through college, paying for weddings, and spending way too many hours at work, I am finally in a position to build a cobra replica roadster. I am in the early stages of researching all my options so I can place my order with Factory Five. I am not a fabricator so I am going to go pretty much "by the book". I will order a complete kit from FFR and am leaning toward buying an engine/transmission from Blueprint. Which leads to my first of many questions; it looks like FFR had a relationship with Summit Racing to supply engines in the past but now says Blueprint is the vendor of choice. Can someone give me the history as to what happened and if Blueprint is the best way to go for a drop-in drive train? Also, it appears that most of the new builders are using the Coyote engine. I'm leaning toward a small block Ford with EFI. Am I making a decision I will regret? Although I intend to do my build by the book, I am wanting to add air conditioning. Has anyone used the unit by Whitby: (http://www.whitbymotorsports.com/UIn...ventoryid=1653) and, if so, how did it work out?

I'm sure I will have tons of questions but this is a start. Everyone on the forum seems more than willing to help, so thanks in advance. I look forward to the journey!

Randy
    Hi Randy, Welcome to the forum! I work for BluePrint Engines. I see Summit still sells some combos for FFR roadsters. It looks like thier engine combos are all Coyote...which is something we don't sell at BPE. I don't remember if they ever sold any other engine packages? BPE started working with FFR a few years back. The guys at FFR spec'ed out the original engines combos to work specifically with their cars. We've created several additional versions now and we can do some customizing. Just get a hold of Johnny @ 1.800.483.4263 if you have any questions.

The SBF is still a good option for the roadsters. That's what I'm planning to put in mine. I like them because they have a vintage look and they are fairly simple. Every one tells me the 302 based engines are the easiest to install because there is so much room around them. I'm planning to go with fuel injection. Good luck on your decision!
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 04-24-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Yama-Bro,

Thank you for the information. I will certainly reach out to Johnny as things start to firm up.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    I did receive a response from Whitby Motorsports about their heater/defroster/AC unit. I want to put in the Factory Five dash with the integrated glove box but was concerned about space. Whitby says their unit takes up the same space as the glove box so you can not have both; either the glove box with no AC unit , or their AC without a glove box.

Can anyone confirm this or know of a work around?

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    I did receive a response from Whitby Motorsports about their heater/defroster/AC unit. I want to put in the Factory Five dash with the integrated glove box but was concerned about space. Whitby says their unit takes up the same space as the glove box so you can not have both; either the glove box with no AC unit , or their AC without a glove box.

Randy
    You can install a shallow glove box with a heater. But typically not a more full size version. This is one I'm aware of: http://acroadsterinteriors.com/Gloveboxes.htm. The shallow version is listed with his others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Randy
    I saw somewhere on the forum, or maybe on the FB page, a guy who had the AC and just did a front for the glovebox, without it being functional. That doesn't solve your problem if you want it usable but it is an option. It allowed him access to part of the AC unit without pulling the dash off. I am awful at this forum searching but I will see if I can locate it.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy,

Welcome to the adventure. I'm a builder in his late 50's whose build is on a truly leisurely pace, but it suits me just fine. Your question of, "am I making a decision I will regret" is one you'll probably face a number of times during the build, but I know you'll never regret the decision to build a roadster. I didn't have the option of the Coyote engine when I was making my original kit choices; I decided to go SBF with carb, and that's the way this build will be. But you know, the engine isn't actually in my car yet, so that could still change.

I asked the same question you asked early on my build, but I now recognize it as part of the adventure - this is only one build, with certain choices that have to be made, and after reading and mulling over the options, at some point you just decide. That starts with the kit options and extends all the way to color choice and other finishing touches. But as the choices add up, you begin to realize its a part of making a unique vehicle that's a reflection of you, which is also part of the thrill.

Read the build threads, as others suggested. Pick up a book on fundamentals of automotive design and operation, if you're not a lifelong car guy like me. Take your time and be patient with yourself. I just got done dry fitting my pedal box about 6 times over the past 6 weeks, doing some re-engineering due to the age of my kit (with the help and advice of others on the forum, so I'm not too far out on a limb), and I'm very happy with the end result. And to be completely honest, its got one mistake in it that only I will know about. I just decided that its one that's not going to bug me in the long run and its certainly not a safety issue, so on I go to the next thing. If being finished was my main goal, I'd be frustrated. Instead, its all very enjoyable time with a fantastic project.

Post early and often, make friends, and have fun! You won't find a more helpful, supportive group of enthusiasts anywhere.

Cheers,

John
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like

Randy
    I put a cubby hole in the rear bulkhead between the seats. Currently it is open. In the future I plan on adding a door to it. Additionally I put a panel in the trunk just after the roll bar mounts to separate the trunk from the opening. I also have Herbs door panels and they provide the space needed for ear plugs, etc.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I pulled the trigger today and ordered the Complete Kit! I am anxious to hear back on my production date and when I might expect delivery. Just can't wait to get started although I want my build to be like John's, leisurely. I know the finished product will be amazing but the journey that is building your own roadster is a once in a lifetime experience and I want to enjoy every step.

I also pulled the trigger on the build school. I will be there in June and am very much looking forward to that.

Thank you all for your input thus far. I know I will lean on you for help as I move forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool! Tell us more about your plans.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I pulled the trigger today and ordered the Complete Kit! I am anxious to hear back on my production date and when I might expect delivery.
    Congratulations on pulling the trigger. Now the hard part...waiting for that transport driver calling letting you know he is 1/2 hour away. Take lots of pictures when he gets there. And then the fun begins.
    I think you will find the build school will really help you understand these very unique cars. After I when through it I left knowing I could build one. And then all of your other questions will be answered right here. So much help from everyone you will know you joined a special family.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your Party Is About To Begin So:
    Congratulations From The Big Easy, Where The Party Never Ends!

Post Thanks / Like
    I received my order confirmation from FFR and my order completion date is July 14th. So about a two month wait in addition to delivery time. It will be hard to wait but it gives me time to organize the garage, buy the needed tools that I don't currently have and build the body buck. Any other suggestions on how to prep will be appreciated.

I ordered the complete kit to accept a small block ford engine and these upgrades:

- Powder coated chassis
    - 302 Headers with kit
    - Leather seats
    - Power steering kit
    - Independent rear suspension complete kit
    - GPS guages
    - 17 x 9/10.5 Halibrand wheels
    - Stainless steel bumper kit
    - Stainless side exhaust
    - Wind wings
    - Sun visors
    - Wipers
    - Front and rear sway bars
    - Brake duct wire mesh
    - EFI in-tank fuel system
    - Chrome roll bar and grommet set
    - Assembled side louver set
    - Center dash support
    - IRS center section and spindles
    - Front and rear Wilwood brakes

I will order a Blueprint 347 EFI engine with a TKO 600 transmission, polished 1 wire 100 amp alternator, PS and AC and the Whitby Motorcars AC/Heat/Defroster unit.

Other modifications I am considering:

- Breeze radiator shroud
    - Breeze battery box up front
    - Russ Thomson turn signal
    - Side pipe heat sheilds
    - Rear bulk-head cubby
    - Thicker aluminum firewall OR firewall forward kit- FFMetals
    - Cup holders
    - Door interior panels
    - Seat heaters
    - Seat tracks
    - Removable tran tunnel cover
    - Convenience lighting and 12v outlets
    - Alex's wheel well liners

I'm sure my intentions will drift some as I move forward. I welcome any thoughts, advice, warnings, etc. about my choices!

Also, the system will not let me update my profile but I currently live in South East Missouri and have been here about five years. I was born in Kentucky and attended Western Kentucky University. After graduating, my wife and I moved to Birmingham where we lived for 30 years. We had and raised three outstanding children there and still consider Birmingham home. Our kids split and attended both Auburn University and the University of Alabama so we have a mixed family. SEC football fans will understand!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy,

When your post count increases, or your kit arrives the Administrator (Dave Hodgkins) will change your permissions and you will be able to post pictures and edit your profile. Welcome to the looney bin! My build, which will start later this year, will be a bone stock 5.0 with factory EFI. Simple, dependable, easy to maintain, and gives LOTS of engine compartment room. Been planning for 14 years.

Video

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by videodude View Post
    Randy,

When your post count increases, or your kit arrives the Administrator (Dave Hodgkins) will change your permissions and you will be able to post pictures and edit your profile. Welcome to the looney bin! My build, which will start later this year, will be a bone stock 5.0 with factory EFI. Simple, dependable, easy to maintain, and gives LOTS of engine compartment room. Been planning for 14 years.

Video
    Just ping Dave now. No need to wait for your kit to arrive.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Your build sounds a lot like mine (except with the updated IRS). Great minds think alike!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    You are making one of the best decisions of your life. The next few months will be incredibly exciting, challenging, even occasionally frustrating. But don't worry! I was in exactly your position 3 years ago. I had never successfully rebuilt a carburetor, much less built an entire car. But with the help of this forum, even I could do it. Your build plan is a good start. I am the poster child for coloring outside the lines. (Play with me at your own risk!! ) There is one mod that I would suggest. Research how to increase the width of the DS footbox as much as you can. My feet are only size 10, but it is really tight in there.

You will find very friendly people around here, so come on in, make yourself at home, and feel free to ask questions. I learned a long time ago that even though your question may have been answered many times before on this or other forums, everyone here is more than happy to direct you to find the answer you need. Welcome to the madness!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your order. As Petty wrote, "the waiting is the hardest part."

Post Thanks / Like
    Best of luck, you’ll find loads of info and helpful advice on this forum!
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Jazzman,

Thanks for the suggestion on the footbox. I have struggled with whether or not I will need that so I figured I would make the decision when I get to that point. I am a small man, 5'6", size 8 shoe. Could be the first time in my life that being small has an advantage!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on pulling the trigger! Looking forward to following your build and would love to hear about your experience at build school, as I’m thinking of going the same route when I get closer to purchasing my kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, the system will not let me update my profile but I currently live in South East Missouri and have been here about five years. I was born in Kentucky and attended Western Kentucky University. After graduating, my wife and I moved to Birmingham where we lived for 30 years. We had and raised three outstanding children there and still consider Birmingham home. Our kids split and attended both Auburn University and the University of Alabama so we have a mixed family. SEC football fans will understand!

Randy
    Randy,

Welcome, always glad to have another cobra in MO. Where in SEMO?

The Gateway Cobra Club in St. Louis is pretty active. We get out all over the state.

We have SEC athletics, but it has not been kind to us.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by videodude View Post
    Randy,

Video
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Just ping Dave now. No need to wait for your kit to arrive.
    ...or wait until I read the thread and update you without asking...

Done! Congrats on the order!

I've done 2 small block builds with a lot of the custom touches you outlined. See my build thread links in my sig for details.

Also, see this thread for details about pic hosting and embedding:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...tures-in-posts

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 05-15-2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Added details and link

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    We are in Cape Girardeau...home town of Rush Limbaugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Thank you and also thanks for the link. Valuable information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart Transportation loaded my kit this week and is scheduled to deliver it next Friday! The Wilwood items shipping directly from them will arrive tomorrow. Since my last post I have gotten my garage organized, built my body buck and ordered several items I will need for my build i.e. tools, polyurethane bushings, weather pack connectors, rivet nuts, brake line flaring kit, etc. I think I'm in good shape and can't wait to get started. I happen to have a steel I-beam running across my garage ceiling and set-up a winch system to hang the body buck and body. It will be nice to have the additional working space. I can't say enough good things about the folks at Factory Five; I ordered my kit prior to them announcing their summer sale. When I heard about the sale, I reached out to them and they adjusted my order to reflect the sale prices. Saved over $5,000! What great customer service. I did attend the build school in June. I have to admit that I was on the fence about spending the money and taking the time to do so but I am so pleased that I did. It was a great experience. Actually seeing everything and participating in the build was worth it but, more than that, the instructors gave a lot of advice that will save time, frustration and money. The instruction on how to mount the windshield so as to minimize the risk of it cracking was especially useful. They were also very knowledgeable about the after market products offered by the supporting vendors and where to buy many items needed for the build. In addition, they will be another valuable resource for trouble shooting. I have not yet ordered my Blueprint drive train but will do so soon. Johnny with Blueprint stopped by the school while I was there. Talking with him and seeing the Blueprint engine that we used in the school build confirmed that using their drive train was an excellent decision. Thanks again to everyone on the forum.

38. Likes phileas_fogg liked this post