Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk4 Coyote Build in Seattle

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 Coyote Build in Seattle

Hello,

I recently ordered my kit. I am in the waiting stages as it is getting completed. Figured I'd pass the time and create my build thread now in anticipation for the build process.

Roadster complete kit:
    Powder coated frame
    Coyote long headers
    Coyote mounts
    Body cutouts
    Competition high back seats
    Coyote power steering
    IRS
    Wind wings
    Sun visors
    Wiper kit
    Black roll bar
    Passenger side black roll bar
    Grommet kit
    Assembled Louvers
    Coyote installation kit
    Mustang 13 inch rear brake
    In-tank EFI system.

This is my final order.

I am looking for input on this setup. What are your experiences with this setup. Anything I need to add? Anything I should cut?

I have been into cars for a long time. I enjoy all types of cars, for the most part, and have tinkered in a bunch of different platforms but mostly turbo imports. I have yet to mess around in the Ford world and figured this is the time. My wife is a Saint for dealing with this addiction.

Current cars:
    2003 E55 AMG (stock)
    1989 Skyline Gtr (heavily modified)
    1998 Honda Civic (motor swapped commuter)

Past cars:
    2017 C63s AMG
    2001 Is300 (single turbo 2jzgte swap)
    2015 Audi s4 (decently modified)
    1987 rx7 (chevy 383 stroker swapped in)
    2013 Golf r (decently modified)
    2008 Vw gti (heavily modified)
    2005 Neon Srt-4 (heavily modified)
    1992 Eclipse Gsx (mildly modified)
    1968 Chevy C10 (mild 350 build)

There are some I have missed. I feel it isn't a bad collection for driving for less than 20 years.
    Last edited by Dthquazi; 05-04-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the club! You've had quite the array of vehicles. Just curious, what kind of motor did you swap into your civic?
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the order! I know the time anticipation will be hard to deal with, but it's worth it.

BTW, if you need to clear out some garage space, I can store that GT-R locally for you
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    The motor is a b18c1. Really nothing impressive.

Thanks for the offer, however I have made space for it already.

I am doing some major dump runs this weekend to make space for this project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the family. You have a number of Forum members nearby and several of which, have installed the Coyote. Just recently licensed mine a rolled over 500 miles.

Your welcome over anytime,

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your order, welcome to the club. Just had my first Go-Cart drive I have a Coyote with IRS. I see you have shorty headers on your list. I am using long tube headers to side pipes. Maybe just a mistype? Also have you looked for a complete drop out from a Mustang rear end to get all your parts for IRS? I am down in Tacoma if you want to see a Coyote, with IRS in person and talk cars you are welcome to it.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    The order sheet was confusing. It looked like you don't get pipes if you order the long header. This was one of the things I was going to check with Factory Five before my order completes.

I got 33920 which are the shorty ones. It says that they are to be used with 15442 which are the j pipes. The long tube headers are 16434 and apparently don't have pipes. Os this correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthquazi View Post
    The order sheet was confusing. It looked like you don't get pipes if you order the long header. This was one of the things I was going to check with Factory Five before my order completes.

I got 33920 which are the shorty ones. It says that they are to be used with 15442 which are the j pipes. The long tube headers are 16434 and apparently don't have pipes. Os this correct?
    Hopefully I understand your question. You get 4-into-4 side pipes no matter what engine exhaust system you choose. Standard side pipes are bare steel. Optional are polished stainless, listed under "additional options," which replace the kit standard bare steel pipes. With a Coyote, the 15442 straight tubes are used with 33920 shorty headers. If you order the Coyote long tube headers 16295 (not 16434 which are for a big block) those bolt directly to the heads on one end and the 4-into-4 side pipes on the other. You don't need anything else. I'd recommend the 16295 long tube headers BTW. Stronger and less restrictive.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-25-2018 at 09:09 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Hopefully I understand your question. You get 4-into-4 side pipes no matter what engine exhaust system you choose. Standard side pipes are bare steel. Optional are polished stainless, listed under "additional options," which replace the kit standard bare steel pipes. With a Coyote, the 15442 straight tubes are used with 33920 shorty headers. If you order the Coyote long tube headers 16295 (not 16434 which are for a big block) those bolt directly to the heads on one end and the 4-into-4 side pipes on the other. You don't need anything else. I'd recommend the 16295 long tube headers BTW. Stronger and less restrictive.
    That makes sense! The ordering had me a little confused on that. And yes, I mistyped the part number. I will change my order to 16295.

Also I didn't realize how many people are here in the Package NW. I check the regional page and it seemed pretty lackluster before I registered. Nice to see!

Post Thanks / Like
    The NW region page has been dead for a while. Not sure why. Seems like there are a number of recent builds, though, so maybe the neighborhood is 'turning over'. You're welcome to come see my in-process build if you want - I'm in the Juanita/Kenmore area.

I went with the shorty headers and straight tubes on my Coyote, but would have gone long tube headers if I could've afforded it. The bleeding had to stop somewhere.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I concur with edwardb, that’s what most run with the Coyote set up. Plus here in Washington you don’t have go through emissions testing on these cars. By the way it would be better reading then the manual if you read through Paul’s (edwardb) build thread of #8674 Roadster. He did an outstanding and detailed build thread.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, I am also up here in the Seattle area (Sammamish to be specific) and am just about 30 days since I received my kit and having fun getting started. I was thinking about writing up the list of stuff to do while waiting for your kit to arrive. 1 thing definitely on that list is visit with local builders. Initiator let me swing by his place and it was great to see his progress, ask questions, and learn stuff. Its also great fun to know others here have your back.

I am heading down to the HB Cruise In this weekend with my son and then i think Initiator is stopping by my place on Sunday. Awesome community to learn from!

-B
    MK4 Complete Kit #9311 - Coyote, TKO600, IRS
    Ordered: 1/23/18 | Production Complete: 3/6/18 | Delivery: 3/30/18
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I called them today and changed my order. Also I verified that my completion date is indeed 5/19. I was starting to worry because in another threat a person was quoted for a 6/19 completed date.

I have read through his threads before ordering. I will wait to read them until I get my kit and can get a little hands on with it to better understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered a basic kit with similar options (ready in Jan 2018). I did add the EFI kit. I also got the driveshaft from them (it does not come with the base kit and I don't think it does with the complete?) If you are getting a donor IRS you don't need to add the mustang brakes (that is what I did). I opted to not get gauges in my order and bought from speedhut. I am pretty sure Spedhut makes the FFR vintage gauges. It was a little more money but I wanted to pick some custom options. (You can also get the reverse speedo from them if you care about that). One other thing I did was got the 2" roll bars instead of the new 1.5". They gave them to me for the same price, I think they look better. Oh and I also got front and rear swaybars.

Also as a side note, when the kit comes take the time to do the FULL INVENTORY. I had a few small items missing or wrong. They were quick to get them out to me. Then put everything back into the box it came in so you know where it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds good. Since I am getting the complete kit, can I request that I don't get gauges and they will do that and drop the price. I was planning on getting different ones anyway and just assumed I would sell them here for cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    I called them today and changed my order. Also I verified that my completion date is indeed 5/19. I was starting to worry because in another threat a person was quoted for a 6/19 completed date.

I have read through his threads before ordering. I will wait to read them until I get my kit and can get a little hands on with it to better understand.
    I read EdwardB, Wareaglescott, Phileas_fogg, Papa, Jazzman, and others' build threads before getting started. I've now re-read each of them at least three times because I wasn't able to pick up everything I needed in one go. Things that don't seem important on first read suddenly become enabling after you've been struggling with a part for a while.

You can delete specific parts from your order (before shipment) and get credit. Some people delete seats, sidepipes, gauges, etc. You're likely to gain more in credit than trying to sell them on the forum. Wish I'd known this when I ordered.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wellcome Dthquazi! It’s really great to see posts from others near Seattle. I’m about to join the MK4 builder community with my MK4 kit due for delivery to my home in Bellevue by early next week. I am so ready!

I’m doing a similar build: MK4 Complete kit, non-donor build, IRS, Coyote/TKO600 package from Factory Five, hydraulic clutch from Forte, Gas-N polished side pipes, Leather logo-delete Clubman seats, 17” wheel/tire package, Tangent Driving lights and grill, premimum soft top from FF/Rod Tops, 3/8” fuel system.

As initiator recommended above, I did have some specific parts deleted from my MK4 order for credit including seats and sidepipes. In addition to offsetting the cost of custom parts going the delete route saves the hassle value of listing, selling and shipping unneeded parts.

I hope to start a build log on the forum once my kit arrives. Reading about others experience has been a great assist in making decisions about what components to include in my car and is clearly is great source of help from experienced builders.

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with deleting some items like the seats are that it is hard to calculate because of the sale that I ordered in on. If I spent 6k I got 50% off. So for seats that is a decent deal if I am doing math correctly. Which I may not be.

For pipes, why are people not ordering the factory five ones?

Post Thanks / Like
    For pipes, why are people not ordering the factory five ones?
    I ordered them. With the 50% off price, you really can't beat that deal! I called around to a couple other places and you are looking at triple the price when factoring in the deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pipes from Factory Five can be loud. Gas n Pipes are a quieter. At half price I would get as many options available on the sale. I got in on the 50/50 sale last year and save a lot. I bought the base kit and built it up almost to the point of a complete kit. Half off is good especially if it includes anything from the parts catalog.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the SS FF sidepipes on the 50% sale and agree - you can't come close to that price anywhere else. My plan is to finish the car and drive it until I don't like the pipes anymore, then retrofit with 30" Slimlines.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds good. Since I am getting the complete kit, can I request that I don't get gauges and they will do that and drop the price. I was planning on getting different ones anyway and just assumed I would sell them here for cheap.
    Yes you can do that. I would check to see if it makes $ sense. I deleted seats but I have seen them sell on here for more than my credit (they only give you a partial credit on deleted items).

Post Thanks / Like

Since I ordered the IRS and will stick with it, I ordered my center section. I did this on 04/26/18. After much reading and pricing out options, I decided to order from Mike Forte. This I based on the positive reputation and the fact that he is the front runner for when I order my motor and transmission. After calling him up and talking to him, I knew it was the right choice to order from him.

Package came today and is empty of fluid. According to Forte, it comes to him with fluid. The fluid needs to be drained to ship to the customer.

Tomorrow I will be calling to finalize my order with FFR. I have decided to delete the vinyl dash and gauges. I plan on doing a custom dash and getting gauges from speed hut.

Side note, how do I upload pictures? I get an error when trying to do it from mobile.

Post Thanks / Like

Side note, how do I upload pictures? I get an error when trying to do it from mobile.
    If you want the pictures to show up big enough to view in the thread. You can either upload the pictures to this forum's album section then link to the photos in the thread or use an outside photo sharing website. I tried this forum and flickr. I found flickr to be the easier of the two and yields the best looking pictures.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit was finished on 5/19. I got my kit delivered on Friday 6/22. I used Stewart transport to have it come. I was not around for the delivery but my wife was. The driver was able to get it unloaded and into my garage with just a little help from my wife. I got home last night and got to llok at it for about an hour. I started the inventory process. I have three boxes enroute to my house now from FFR and a fairly small back order list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, when you inventory make sure you label the boxes. I taped the inventory sheets to the boxes they are in. If you can make a copy of the inventory sheets. Now let the fun begin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put in a little work today since I had a buddy available to help me. So far I am about 80% through my inventory and I needed a break.

We were able to get the body off and up on the buck.

Then I figured I'd trick him into getting the rear diff in. It wasn't bad and we had it mounted and torqued in 30 minutes later.

I got the garage arranged to fit the body buck, the frame and another car. It is all tight but I should be able to manage it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice progress, I am doing inventory right now and am starting to consider being a little less detailed in my checking of every single bolt, washer, etc. It seems to be taking a while and I have only found one missing nut so far. You sure got that rear diff in quickly. Good job.

Post Thanks / Like
    So far I have found two missing washers and the spring hats for the rear shocks missing. I have found additional parts here and there though.

The differential is not as intimidating as it was made out to be here. Just work slowly and have a plan. Have the bolts ready to slide in when you get it close as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been chugging along on the car. In the past couple days I have got the fuel tank in, most of the suspension parts and have started marking and drilling some of the panels.

The suspension is stalled because the front spindles are back ordered. The rear shock collars didn't get packed for the rear and I was waiting for the axles for the irs.

Also I couldn't get the new lug studs to suck into the spindles. I tried hammering and pulling them in with an impact gun. No luck. I had to break down and take them to the local shop to have them pressed in. I will finish with most of the rear suspension tomorrow and try to decide what color to powder coat the calipers.

Got the firewall and driver's foot box marked up and prepping for powder coating. I know it has been advised against but I am doing a black engine bay. I ordered a high temp powder that I will shoot the inside of the engine bay with and leave bare in the passenger cabin. I am thinking I will go with lizard skin for the cabin and may shoot the foot box after powder coating it so that it is easy to get at.

I started the pedal assembly and got tripped up since the instructions are lacking about the clutch stop. Had to leave it alone to go to dinner then work.

Also I spoke with Mike Forte earlier in the day and ordered the Coyote package from him. Can't wait for it to ship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the firewall and driver's foot box marked up and prepping for powder coating. I know it has been advised against but I am doing a black engine bay. I ordered a high temp powder that I will shoot the inside of the engine bay with and leave bare in the passenger cabin. I am thinking I will go with lizard skin for the cabin and may shoot the foot box after powder coating it so that it is easy to get at.
    I have seem black engine bays and they are OK. They make all the chrome and other colors pop.

If you are paying to have the panels powdered coated, letting them shoot both sides may be cheaper than the cost of masking one side. The inside of the footboxes will be covered with lizard skin and the powder coat makes a good base for it to stick. Basically all the panels get covered up on the inside so the color isn't seen.

You're going to love that Coyote.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I have a question.

An efi harness is mentioned in the Ron Francis wiring instructions. In the kit I don't see it which makes sense since it is an optional component. However I am not sure if this harness is sent by FFR as part of the efi upgrade. I have checked the parts list and nothing is mentioned. I also don't remember seeing it in the inventory.

What am I missing? I want to be sure before I start drilling holes in my firewall. It says I will have to drill three instead of two because of this harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    For my 2016 Coyote, I have exactly one wiring hole in the firewall, which passes the Ford Racing harness from the power distribution box to the inside of the dash. You'll want to lay in that harness to see the best location for the hole before drilling. See EdwardB build thread for excellent pictures.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post231732

I was initially confused why they called for up to three holes, but it's for non-Coyote applications.