FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: No family interest

Post Thanks / Like

No family interest

Wondering if I'm alone in this ... I read so many posts of people having their kids ask to pick them up from sports in the Roadster, trips with wives, etc. Neither my wife nor 2 kids (9 and 13, girl and boy) show any interest in mine.

Happy to have the car - but would probably be more enjoyable to share a drive with someone occasionally.

Anyone else in the same situation?
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife dislikes it. She drove it in once and will never go again.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife loves it so much, I will be probably building her a 33 Hot Rod this Fall. One of my daughters loves it, but my sons are more into motorcycles...

My stepson however, wants me to build him a 818!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear ya - My father and I are huge car guys, but my wife and 2 daughters.....really no interest.
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife does not like, my daughter and sons like to ride but not to build, take what you can get I guess

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife promises that she's going to drive it as much as I do....but we'll see. My kids were excited when the donor got dropped off...when the kit got dropped off.... but not so much any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife rode in my Mk3 . . . once. She has not even tried to sit in my 818C, but it's really tough to get in and out. She likes to brag that her husband has built 2 cars, but since we live and work together my FFR cars give me a nice break. I've met a number of other car guys for the social aspect (such as Turbomacncheese, above.)

On second thought, I think I may be lucky she doesn't want to ride with me because she'd probably say it's bumpy, cramped, loud and messes up her hair.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Paparazzi View Post
    Wondering if I'm alone in this ... I read so many posts of people having their kids ask to pick them up from sports in the Roadster, trips with wives, etc. Neither my wife nor 2 kids (9 and 13, girl and boy) show any interest in mine.
    Happy to have the car - but would probably be more enjoyable to share a drive with someone occasionally
    Anyone else in the same situation?

Sometimes, with kids, they don’t think something is “Cool” until their friends think something is “Cool”. So, you might just pick them up in the Cobra every so often anyway. Good reason to take it out for a spin. Let some notoriety come their way and they may change their mind.

Of course, with kids, what is cool, or not cool, changes from day-to-day, month-to-month, etc, anyway, so no way to ever anticipate. Wives, on the other hand are even less predictable.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 818S kit took my wife's parking spot in the garage....so she refers to it as "the mistress" and "the lady in red." My kids we excited in a similar way that turbomacncheese's were but they are coming around the build more often and starting to ask questions. Now, the UPS and FedEx delivery folks, pizza drivers, endless line of solar panel salespeople that come to our house, and the fire department (someone left the gas stove valve open....ahem, AJ?), they hang out in my garage more than my family does.

But my build is progressing more quickly lately, and I am close to a first start etc. so the "car" is taking shape and both my wife and kids are in the mindset of "I think he actually might pull this off." So I have noticed more interest from my boys (12 and 7) and a bit of help as well, but my wife still says she won't drive it...probably ride in it though...she'll come around.
    220,221 whatever it takes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Wife doesn't care anything about it but then again all she is concerned with regarding a vehicle is will it get her there. My 26yo son doesn't have much interest either but my two grandsons, 4 & 8, both love to ride in Papa's race car. And on one of the motorcycles or their four wheelers (spoiled huh?) The oldest just asked the other day if I would bring it to his school so he can show his classmates. The problem I have is which one gets to ride.
    The wife does enjoy the cruises with the DSCC because there are hotels and restaurants involved.
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't even received my kit yet and my wife wants one of her own. She loves to ride in our other car-show & weekend cruisers, but is scared to death to drive them. Her roadster will have to be more docile, actually thinking an eco-boost 2.3 would be a pretty cool build for her.

Post Thanks / Like
    No children, but the neighborhood kids and the nieces and nephews seem to be really interested in it (at least from an inheritance perspective). As for Mrs. Gumball, she's ridden in it a few times, but prefers that if we're going somewhere that an old-ish car is appropriate, she suggests we take hers, since it has a radio and is actually comfortable. The only problem with that is I end up riding b**ch.

At least her car is somewhat cool - if you like Chevrolet products......

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    I've met a number of other car guys for the social aspect (such as Turbomacncheese, above.)
    Best PM I ever sent!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    The only problem with that is I end up riding b**ch.
    Sounds exactly like my wife back when she had a mustang. Now that she drives (and enjoys(!)) a minivan, it's not so much of a problem. Except that now sometimes I have to ride b**ch in a MINIVAN.