FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello from Southern California

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Southern California

Hello! I can already tell this forum is going to be a wealth of information and I just wanted to introduce myself.

All my wrenching experience up until this point has been entirely in motorcycles, so my rather ambitious plan to build the Mk4 with my son is very exciting on multiple levels! I'm sure I'll be leaning on all of you more experienced guys heavily. So, thanks in advance!

We're a ways out from ordering our kit, which just means there's more time for planning, budgeting and education. And, of course...garage clean up.

Anyway, I promise I'll utilize the search function and I'll try to keep my SQR (stupid question ratio) below let's say a 0.33:1

-Phil

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where in So Cal are you?

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    About 25 miles north of LA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You must be close to me. Moorpark.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slpro1207 View Post
    You must be close to me. Moorpark.
    Nice. Yeah we’re close. I’m up the 5 just over the hill in the Santa Clarita area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard Phil. This is the place to get any questions answered by us folks that has asked it before you. I have never seen a question asked (even my profoundly stupid ones) go unanswered.
    Looking forward to following your build.

Scott
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slpro1207 View Post
    Welcome aboard Phil. This is the place to get any questions answered by us folks that has asked it before you. I have never seen a question asked (even my profoundly stupid ones) go unanswered.
    Looking forward to following your build.

Scott
    Thanks, Scott! I may be hitting you up in the future to talk things specifically related to SoCal (shipping cost estimates, emissions/titling stuff, etc.) as I’m a total newbie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Two2Four View Post
    Thanks, Scott! I may be hitting you up in the future to talk things specifically related to SoCal (shipping cost estimates, emissions/titling stuff, etc.) as I’m a total newbie.
    Anything you need just shout out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Santa Clarita

I live in Santa Clarita

Any time you want to talk or take a look at my roadster let me know.

I should be at the Valencia Cars & Coffee this Saturday.

"Coffee N Cars EVERY Saturday morning, Located at 23222 Valencia Blvd, Valencia CA 91350. 630-830 AM. In the western bagel, Kmart & McDonalds lot."

http://www.chariotz.com/eventcalenda..._valencia/6116
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 04-30-2018 at 07:47 PM.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    Santa Clarita

I live in Santa Clarita

Any time you want to talk or take a look at my roadster let me know.

I should be at the Valencia Cars & Coffee this Saturday.

"Coffee N Cars EVERY Saturday morning, Located at 23222 Valencia Blvd, Valencia CA 91350. 630-830 AM. In the western bagel, Kmart & McDonalds lot."

http://www.chariotz.com/eventcalenda..._valencia/6116
    Well hey neighbor. I absolutely would love to see you car and talk some before I start my build. I’ll try and stop by.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm building a '33 Hot Rod in Simi Valley, but there are enough similarities that I may occasionally be able to give an intelligent answer. Let me know what I can do to help.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great. Thanks all. I feel the love!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Just think of your build as a motorcycle with four wheels.A long time ago my brother inlaw and I built a bike for a guy that had a 289,c-4 and a 8 inch rear end.About the only thing different about building it from a car was it had one wheel up front and very little body panels .Roger