Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Russ Thompson directional signals

Post Thanks / Like

Russ Thompson directional signals

I am wiring Russ Thompson's signal switch. Does anyone have pics of the way you mounted the relays and diodes and any recommendations? Thanks Nick C.
    MK4 FFR7622 COMPLETE KIT DELIVERED 10/10/11, 429ci BORED .30 OVER, EDELBROCK PERFORMER HEADS, THUMPER CAM, MASS FLO FUEL INJECTION, DUAL CLUTCH, QUICKTIME BELL HOUSING, NITTO 555/DRAG RADIALS, AUTO METER GAUGES, MARCH SERPENTINE SYSTEM

Post Thanks / Like
    i used the russ thompson turn signal switch with the ron francis harness no additional relays were needed. I did use diodes on the hazard switch

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    You will need relays if you use the button on the stalk to activate your high/low beams.
    I dont have any pictures of mine, but I used some industrial velcro to stick the relays to the dash and made the diode connections through a distribution block
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    My electrical has unfortunately morphed into a monster. On top of that, I have very little access from under the dash due to lower dash supports covering up most everything. I have my RT relays mounted on the right-most side of the dash on a removable bracket, just in case I need to access them at some point. It's still tight, but about the best I could do. There would normally be room under the pedal box/steering column, but I had already used up that area. My method of connecting most of this stuff was junction blocks for the fixed units, and weather-paks for the removable stuff. Of the 4 relays in the pictures, 2 are the RT turn signal/headlight relays, and two are for my parking brake. I used the button on the turn signal stalk for the flash-to-pass/high-beam switching.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I wired everything into distribution blocks and velcro'd them to the back of the firewall. As for the relays, I did the same but mounted them as close to the end of the firewall as possible so I can get at them in the event they need replacing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick,

I also did not use any relays or diodes aside from what came with the RF wiring harness. I just took the wires from the switch and hooked them directly to the wiring harness wires for left and right turn signal. I also used the 2 yellow wires to run to a switch (Double Pole, Single Throw) for the hazard. The way I approached it was to think of the harness is doing everything already, all you are doing is adding the switches. In addition I used the stalk button for quick high beam along with a floor switch. In this application you are simply completing a circuit either when you press the button or step on the floor switch.

Good Luck.