BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mendeola Transaxle

Post Thanks / Like

Mendeola Transaxle

All,

So I've tried to call Mendeola - I dial people's extensions but only get voicemail boxes. Haven't left a voicemail yet, probably will tomorrow.

Also tried an email, no reply yet.

How have others dealt with and/or ordered their Mendeola transaxles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkster029 View Post
    All,

So I've tried to call Mendeola - I dial people's extensions but only get voicemail boxes. Haven't left a voicemail yet, probably will tomorrow.

Also tried an email, no reply yet.

How have others dealt with and/or ordered their Mendeola transaxles?
    I got an email from Ian a little while back on an update on my order. I usually email after my first call with him, just to get updates. If you are thinking of getting one order it way ahead of time. I ordered mine June-July last year and was told 6 months lead time, lets just say I still don't have it. My build isn't waiting on it, so I'm not too concerned.

Here's the contact info I use:
    [email protected]
    (619) 754-6511 ext 110 for Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Leave a message. Ian will get back to you.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issues.... I was told a 30 day delivery when I inquired, a 3 month delivery when I ordered, and it was darn near 1 year when I actually got it. They were slow to respond, but finally did each time. I had to call Mike (vs Ian) a couple of times to get a response. I too planned ahead, so the lengthy time was not an issue. In fact, I ordered my transaxle before I ordered my kit!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkraus01 View Post
    I had the same issues.... I was told a 30 day delivery when I inquired, a 3 month delivery when I ordered, and it was darn near 1 year when I actually got it. They were slow to respond, but finally did each time. I had to call Mike (vs Ian) a couple of times to get a response. I too planned ahead, so the lengthy time was not an issue. In fact, I ordered my transaxle before I ordered my kit!
    I did the same thing. Ordered the Transaxle before my kit.

I will say when I talked with Ian, he was very kind enough to give me the whole history of how they got involved in the GTM and was very candid with the issues they have had on delivery over the years. I’m still happy I chose this path as a one stop shop so to say to order everything I need to bolt it right up to my LS3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I ordered one and got it in the promised time frame. Really happy with it so far.
    Ian seems like a good dude and shot straight with me.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: Ian returned my voicemail, seems like a good guy.

It sounds like a great small company who became a victim of its own success.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it takes between 6 and 12 months to get a transaxle, what happens if it blows down the road? How long is your car laid up waiting for parts? Do you need to have a spare?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    If it takes between 6 and 12 months to get a transaxle, what happens if it blows down the road? How long is your car laid up waiting for parts? Do you need to have a spare?
    For the race car, we do have a spare transaxle and swap them out regularly. Almost always for routine maintenance, but getting parts has rarely been an issue. I think once we had to go to a slightly lower 4th gear because they didn't have our exact ratio in stock when we did the service and the dog ring was worn out. Other than that, we have always had exactly what we wanted, when we needed it. If you are not racing your car exclusively and are going the H pattern synchro box, then I seriously doubt that you would need a spare transaxle. Unless you are abnormally hard on your transmissions?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    What are peoples thoughts about the 3.55 vs 4.11 for street use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much the same as any car for use on the street...if you are looking for top speed and fuel mileage then go with the 3.55. If you want extra oomph off the line and faster quarter miles times, then the 4.11 is your gear. Honestly, we go 155 MPH with the 4.11 and a 5 speed with plenty of power with a crate LS3 in the race car, so I really don't see how the 4.11 is a drawback...but if mileage is your thing...
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I've contemplated ditching the Graziano and going with them, but that wait time just kills the deal for me.
    Dan
    GTM #31
    Twin turbo LSX376, Graziano transaxle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLAgsgR7nY4

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Pretty much the same as any car for use on the street...if you are looking for top speed and fuel mileage then go with the 3.55. If you want extra oomph off the line and faster quarter miles times, then the 4.11 is your gear. Honestly, we go 155 MPH with the 4.11 and a 5 speed with plenty of power with a crate LS3 in the race car, so I really don't see how the 4.11 is a drawback...but if mileage is your thing...
    I'm thinking more practicality - getting into and out my somewhat steep driveway, the parking lot at work, the morning commuter traffic, etc. What's the driving experience like in those low-speed situations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Because of the wide variety of individual gears available, you can pretty much get whatever you want for low speed drivability with either R&P. The issue really comes in at the top of the gears and how fast you want your engine to be spinning while cruising, but again, because of the individual gear sets that are available, this really shouldn't be a problem, even with the 4.11. Have you talked to Ian about what it is you are looking for?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Because of the wide variety of individual gears available, you can pretty much get whatever you want for low speed drivability with either R&P. The issue really comes in at the top of the gears and how fast you want your engine to be spinning while cruising, but again, because of the individual gear sets that are available, this really shouldn't be a problem, even with the 4.11. Have you talked to Ian about what it is you are looking for?
    I didn't realize the individual gears could be changed, I was given the impression there is a single set of gearing options and two final drive options. Sounds like I need to talk with Ian a little more.
    Ryan
    GTM #511
    Build log: gtm.perkinsons.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I just verified with Ian.

Unfortunately, in order to try and keep costs down, for the SDR, there are only "standard" gear sets available. That means they are not willing to make a variety of helical gear sets for the SDR. He did say, however, that they actually have three different R&Ps available. 4.11, 3.88, 3.55. This should give you what you need as far as options.

Now if you are going to run the S5, which is the race box that we run, then there are almost limitless individual gear ratios available...

http://www.mendeolatransaxles.com/about-us.html

Sorry for the confusion, and, again, the best thing you can do is to talk to Ian directly...619-754-6511
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for helping me clear that up. I'll get with Ian when I can and pick his brain more.
    Ryan
    GTM #511

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered the 3.88 today. Ian agreed that it's the best compromise for street use if you still want a little bit of "kick". The 4.11 is for a true "hot rod", but might not be comfortable on the street. And the 3.55 might be a little lackluster if you're looking to really move.
    Ryan
    GTM #511

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious what did Ian give you for a delivery time frame on it?

Post Thanks / Like
    To paraphrase: "sure, let's say 6-12 months"
    Ryan
    GTM #511

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thanks for sharing. Hope your build goes well.