Thread: Boss 429

Post Thanks / Like

Boss 429

Is or will the 33 Hot Rod frame fit a Boss 429 engine

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's an engine package I'd love to see in a Hot Rod

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I very much second this.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is not much room in the chassis below the heads and I can't even get a small alternator in a low mount with my SBC because the chassis is so narrow. But the biggest challenge is that the Boss 429 is 7" longer than a SBC. I believe you will have a conflict with the steering rack that will require some fabrication. My first choice would be to locate the engine farther to the rear but that will likely require modifying the square tube firewall supports so the heads will clear. That's still less work than relocating the steering rack and doing the engineering to make it steer and track properly and less work than lengthening the frame and wheelbase to gain clearance (you'll need a good 4" or 5" minimum). You may consider mounting the engine higher to clear the steering but that makes for a higher CG and possibly a big drivetrain angle to deal with -- that's just not practical.

But if I really wanted that old iron in my engine bay I'm sure I could make it work. Just depends on how much work you're willing to do or pay to have done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Just depends on how much work you're willing to do or pay to have done.
    If you can afford a Boss 429 I have a feeling that the required chassis mods would also be affordable
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Naz,

Seems to me that the Boss 429 shouldn't be much bigger or wider than a newer Coyote - have you seen that engine above the oil pan line? It's a monster . . .
    That being said, I haven't seen a Coyote in a Hot Rod yet but I'll be looking at Hot Hods Saturday at the Huntington Beach Cruise-In. Maybe I'll get lucky and one will be there with a Coyote engine package.
    I've seen them with early Hemi's . . . same wide head design.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    Naz,

Seems to me that the Boss 429 shouldn't be much bigger or wider than a newer Coyote - have you seen that engine above the oil pan line? It's a monster . . .
    That being said, I haven't seen a Coyote in a Hot Rod yet but I'll be looking at Hot Hods Saturday at the Huntington Beach Cruise-In. Maybe I'll get lucky and one will be there with a Coyote engine package.
    I've seen them with early Hemi's . . . same wide head design.

Doc

Go into the 33 Hot Rods forum for build threads and check out the message titled "Black&Copper - 33 Hot Rod #1028". He is putting a Coyote in his 33 Hot Rod and has plenty of photos to check out. Seems to be fitting fine for him.
    Last edited by TDSapp; 04-26-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big Blocker, if you do see some big motors in a hot rod check out the clearances from the crank pulley to the steering rack and see if you can get a good estimate of the clearance. We can then compare those engine lengths to the SBC like I have. From firewall to the steering rack is ~30.5" and I believe the Boss 429 is around 34" in length. Even a BBC is somewhere around 30". My SBC is 3" from firewall to the right cylinder head (one furthest to the rear) and I have 2 7/16" clearance between the crank pulley (single groove v-belt) to the steering rack. Putting an old school Boss 429 in a FFR hot rod would be a fun project if FairlaneDave lived close by I'd like to see that and maybe he'd let me help.

While you're in California I'll be in your home town attending Frank Hawley's Drag Racing School at The Strip.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I did a little looking on the ole interwebs and found the following.

Motor L X W X H Weight (Pounds)

Coyote 25 X 26 X 29 430
    Boss 429 34 x 30 x 30 635
    427 34 x 32 x 30 680
    4.6L 36 x 36 x 44 600
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    So I did a little looking on the ole interwebs and found the following.

Motor L X W X H Weight (Pounds)

Coyote 25 X 26 X 29 430
    Boss 429 34 x 30 x 30 635
    427 34 x 32 x 30 680
    4.6L 36 x 36 x 44 600
    Why is the 4.6L 11" longer, 10" wider and 15" taller than the Coyote? Something doesn't make sense with those numbers.
    Mike............

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Why is the 4.6L 11" longer, 10" wider and 15" taller than the Coyote? Something doesn't make sense with those numbers.

I just figured that it was due to the 4.6 being a modular motor. I don't know that much about Fords being that I am a Chevy guy normally.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    I just figured that it was due to the 4.6 being a modular motor. I don't know that much about Fords being that I am a Chevy guy normally.
    The 4.6L (4 valve) and Coyote are both the same basic 'mod motor' engine. The Coyote is just the latest evolution.

I found this illustration comparing the Windsor, Mod Motor and FE. The Boss heads are much larger than the FE heads.

114094_6v351vFE_zps014699a9.gif
    Mike............

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    In Post #4 NAZ pretty much covered it. I think we had a similar discussion regarding the cammer which is another 2" wider than the Boss Nine. So flywheel to front pulley is the same as a 460 and it requires different front pulleys at a minimum. Possibly higher crank center will clear. You have to remember how big the bore center is and the long front cover & snout of the 429/460 family. Same problem with a 426 Hemi and Big Block Chevy. It can be done, but you ruin the chassis balance. Did they perhaps put the rack in front on the Pickup?? Seems like I saw a pic with the tie rods in front?? That would make it viable. You can however get a 392 Hemi in the chassis because it is a shorter package. You can also get tighter front pulleys on the dampener. The FE also has a long crank nose on it. Both the Boss and FE are available in aluminum blocks which gets interesting. With the wide valve covers its hard to push the engine back against the tube over the tranny tunnel and Ford has those top 2 bolts on the tranny high so its tough to tilt the engine up a little in front.
    I have my baby hemi pushed back for 50/50 weight distribution and I don't miss having 600hp in a sloppy muscle car. 298ci seems just right for this 2600lb car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian
    My 426/Ahem 7L Hemi has 5/8" from the crank pulley to the rack and 5/8" to the firewall.
    The real problem with moving anything back and or up is the footroom for the driver. It's
    all pretty tight but add a big block, clutch, TC or bellhousing and you are FUBAR for pedal room.

IF the rack can be flipped to the front you gain about 4" but the acc. would have to be tucked in
    close because the belt path gets narrower as you move forward. There should be enough pics out
    there by now to check on the 35 truck steering rack location. HTH
    Dale