Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Breeze Radiator Shroud

Post Thanks / Like

Breeze Radiator Shroud

Curious if anyone has the instructions for installing the Breeze Radiator Shroud? I cant seem to find my instructions. And I was just checking on drilling as I am supposed to drop this off at the powder coater tomorrow morning.

I assume it is simply center it over the fan on the radiator and drill every 3" rivets.

Thanks!
    -Brian
    MK4 Complete Kit #9311 - Coyote, TKO600, IRS
    Ordered: 1/23/18 | Production Complete: 3/6/18 | Delivery: 3/30/18
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, so found this thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...houghts-Please

Looks like the fan mounts to the shroud, then the shroud to the radiator. At least that is what the picture implies
    MK4 Complete Kit #9311 - Coyote, TKO600, IRS
    Ordered: 1/23/18 | Production Complete: 3/6/18 | Delivery: 3/30/18
    Build thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, the fan mounts to the shroud, then the shroud mounts to the radiator so Consider Installing Rivet-Nuts to mount the fan instead of nuts & bolts.
    Please know that I've got the earlier radiator model, but I don't think it matters, and I did the following:

1. Traced the fan outline on the shroud.
    2. Drilled holes for the fan mounts and installed Rivet-Nuts so that I could remove the fan if necessary down the road.
    3. Then I cut out the hole for the fan with my Happy Jig-Saw and then smoothed out the edges of the hole.

From that point I went off of the reservation and drilled and riveted the radiator to the shroud using the same spacing used for the aluminum panels.
    The reason why I did this is because I'm using the shroud as part of my radiator mounting system, again Off The Reservation changes.
    I used my CLECO's to hold things in place as I drilled each hole and had to make sure that the shroud didn't interfere with the radiator hoses.
    In addition, I used backing washers on the radiator side so that I would not be relying on the radiator itself, but had to be careful as to not damage it.
    I then fabricated a bracket so that the car would have a viable lower radiator support which uses the fan shroud as part of the mounting system.
    You can see what I did for the mount exactly at 30 seconds in to the attached video:

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

Good Luck From The Dark Side!

Steve

PS: Consider purchasing the Breeze Radiator Mount if you don't feel like making a custom piece.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-26-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can always e-mail Mark at Breeze. He's super responsive and will likely e-mail you the instructions.

A couple of details: first, be sure to scallop the mounting tabs for the fan. Otherwise you'll get cracks in your shroud and have to replace it. Second, don't be surprised if you have to clear some interference at one of the corners. Not all shrouds & radiators match up exactly.

John

IMG_2695 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_2689 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    You can always e-mail Mark at Breeze. He's super responsive and will likely e-mail you the instructions.

A couple of details: first, be sure to scallop the mounting tabs for the fan. Otherwise you'll get cracks in your shroud and have to replace it. Second, don't be surprised if you have to clear some interference at one of the corners. Not all shrouds & radiators match up exactly.
    John - got a picture of your scallops? This is in my near future and would appreciate a little more detail. Thanks for the radiator hose clearance photo!

Brian - I should have a copy of my instructions at home, can send them to you this evening if it's not too late.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately I don't. The idea is that you want something more substantial than a 1/4" x 1/4" tab supporting the radiator, AND you want to avoid any angular transitions to the circle cut for the fan. So instead of a tab, you make a scallop roughly the same radius of a silver dollar (with the Eagle landing on the moon on the back) to serve as the tab. Smooth curves transition from the hole to the scallop, and that prevents cracks.

Clear as mud?

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brian,

You have a different shroud (32204) than the one the helpful people above are discussing (32088). Your shroud has a steeper taper and there will not be interference with the upper hose connection. Also your fan hole is already cut out and it is a circle. No great need to make it any fancier. I will e-mail you instructions to the Breeze 70558 HD Hinged Upper Radiator and Shroud Mounting Kit which you can use as a guide. With that kit there is no need to put riv-nuts in the shroud because it is just 4 fasteners to remove the fan and shroud as an assembly and would be 4 fasteners to remove the fan only if you add riv-nuts. Riv-nuts are fine but there is no need to add that to get your fan shroud installed.
    Hope that helps!
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

8. Likes bill3422 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    Brian,

You have a different shroud (32204) than the one the helpful people above are discussing (32088). Your shroud has a steeper taper and there will not be interference with the upper hose connection. Also your fan hole is already cut out and it is a circle. No great need to make it any fancier. I will e-mail you instructions to the Breeze 70558 HD Hinged Upper Radiator and Shroud Mounting Kit which you can use as a guide. With that kit there is no need to put riv-nuts in the shroud because it is just 4 fasteners to remove the fan and shroud as an assembly and would be 4 fasteners to remove the fan only if you add riv-nuts. Riv-nuts are fine but there is no need to add that to get your fan shroud installed.
    Hope that helps!
    Thanks for clearing that up, Mark. Superb customer service as always.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have revised our fan shroud offering so that it works with either version of the FFR radiator (can be used if the height of the radiator channels varies a bit) so instead of two different shrouds we are now offering one.

The side taper is such that there should be enough of clearance for the upper hose connection in most if not all cases.

In addition to tapered sides it has a tapered bottom, has the fan-hole pre-cut and mounting holes for the Maradyne 16" fan supplied by FFR.

The cost is less and they ship economically from Breeze via USPS.

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...194&cat_id=17#

Stay cool!
    Last edited by Mark Reynolds; 07-03-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: needed to correct dead link
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

11. Likes JoeAIII, bill3422, Scotworthy liked this post

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've been using Breeze's radiator mounting system as well as his fan shroud. Just a comment on the two edges of the shroud that are not the flat mounting tabs. I took some vacuum hose, ran a knife to open up one side of the hose and slipped it over the two sides to keep the shroud from rubbing against the radiator.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Ralph - good idea if there is contact there. On the latest version of the shroud I pulled that edge back by about 1/16" so there should not be any possibility of contact. the radiator is relatively stiff where the tubes meet the tanks.