Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Headlight switch location

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight switch location

I have the pre covered plastic dash and added wipers to my accessories. From left to right on the pre drilled access holes, I have the horn button, key switch and wiper switch. I am thinking about putting the headlight switch to the left of the steering wheel. I will have to check my wiring length, but am not seeing any issues. ,,,probably need a washer under the retaining nut to prevent vinyl puckering while tightening? Any advise before I drill a hole?
    Links or pictures to dashes will help. I am doing a traditional style, black with Speedhut gauges. I will have seat heaters and that should be last add on. Still thinking about the console on the seat heater switches. Thanks,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the washer you need to install under the retaining nut. I Had to get them because the nut was dragging my leather around the hole. Its a very narrow washer, so you barely see it and will forget it once its there. Its an AN901-12A washer... Of course, I had to buy a bag of 10 and only used 1, so PM me your address and I'll drop one in the mail to you.

Cant help you on the rest. I did a custom dash.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't mention if you have your dash supported or not. I have Mike Everson's under dash filler panel and opted to mount it under the dash, to the left most location. It's up and out of the way. Lousy pic but you can see it to the left of the courtesy light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I have the pre covered plastic dash and added wipers to my accessories. From left to right on the pre drilled access holes, I have the horn button, key switch and wiper switch. I am thinking about putting the headlight switch to the left of the steering wheel. I will have to check my wiring length, but am not seeing any issues. ,,,probably need a washer under the retaining nut to prevent vinyl puckering while tightening? Any advise before I drill a hole?
    Links or pictures to dashes will help. I am doing a traditional style, black with Speedhut gauges. I will have seat heaters and that should be last add on. Still thinking about the console on the seat heater switches. Thanks,
    Railroad, I thought about mounting my headlight switch in the same location, but didn't. After asking around, I determined the room on the left of the steering shaft is quite limited given the curve of the dash. I ended up mounting it to the right of the ignition switch. This is just my opinion, but I believe it's easier to drill a new hole on the right, rather than mess around on the left. I agree with mounting the seat heater switches on the console. I am making a plate that will sit on top of the carpet with the two switches.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Russ Thompson turn signal, so a bit different than you but here is my set up:
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an under dash panel that has a majority of my switches. Seat heaters, gauge cal, flashers, garage door openers, radar detector controls, etc. All unseen.
    I put my headlight switch left of the steering column. It is also pretty much unseen. It is right under where the door meets the dash. Easy to reach.
    dash.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to add, I have the Russ Thompson steering column with the turn signals. The button on the end of the signal stalk is for hi/low beam. In my search I saw the headlight sw above the horn button. It looked to be out of the way of accessing the ign sw and horn button. Still open for advise and suggestions. Thanks to Boydster for the washer.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    We installed our headlight switch on a small metal plate at the end of the dash brace. It places it right under the curve of the dash, which is easy to reach with your hand and keeps the dash clean without the extra knobs/toggles. The toggle is the hazard switch BTW...

HTH...
    Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Good options, thanks for the input. I see the left of the steering wheel, works. Still doing some behind the dash wiring and need to look for the under dash braces. I had forgotten about the 4 way flashers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Good options, thanks for the input. I see the left of the steering wheel, works. Still doing some behind the dash wiring and need to look for the under dash braces. I had forgotten about the 4 way flashers.
    Careful to the left of the steering wheel. That's where I put mine, but after the body was put on, there is some interference with the driver's side door when it's closed and the headlight switch is pulled all the way out. I had to angle the switch down by bending the dashboard slightly. It's still pretty close to the door!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swwebb View Post
    Careful to the left of the steering wheel. That's where I put mine, but after the body was put on, there is some interference with the driver's side door when it's closed and the headlight switch is pulled all the way out. I had to angle the switch down by bending the dashboard slightly. It's still pretty close to the door!
    Boy, that is something to consider. I would not have picked up on that with the body off. I guess it is back to the center area.
    Thanks big time for the information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Railroad, if you put it on the dash brace under the dash like I did you can leave it at the left of the wheel. It's hidden but like I said, your left hand goes right to it under the curve of the dash.

HTH...
    Mark

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
    Railroad, if you put it on the dash brace under the dash like I did you can leave it at the left of the wheel. It's hidden but like I said, your left hand goes right to it under the curve of the dash.

HTH...
    Mark
    I hope to get some work done today and will look at the bracket you used. Did your switch come with the LIGHTS engraved bezel washer? Mine has only the nut. I mounted my haz flasher switch in the dash brace. Something I hope gets little use.

Post Thanks / Like
    That bezel is from the '65-'66 Mustang. I used the matching wiper bezel on the dash and matching ignition switch bezel as well. All I did was make the small metal strap to rivet between the two factory braces to mount the hazard toggle and the headlight switch. you can see the wiper switch (far right) and the ignition switch (stock location) on my dash photo here...

mufp_070327_diary_02_z+factory_five_roadster+dashboard.jpg

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Bezels and dash look super. I guess you welded the bracket on the square tube for the headlight switch?
    I have a powder coated frame and too much misc installed to do any welding in that area. I need to see how close the door comes into the area left of the steering wheel. I held the steering wheel in place, not mounted yet, and looks like the switch should play well there. I will have to search through some posted pics and see what the room looks like and if anyone managed to mount the H L switch there.
    thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    That's all factory metal and factory powder coat, however it is a Mk3 frame and not a Mk4 frame, so perhaps they made some minor changes to the dash hoop and supports. Sorry to lead you on a wild goose chase. However, you could probably still do a similar install with a piece of angle. Simply mount the angle to the top of the 2x2 dash brace so the opposite side of the angle works as a "face" to install the switch. It would need to be of sufficient thickness to not flex when you pull on the light switch though.

HTH...
    Mark

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swwebb View Post
    swwebb could you post a picture of where you mounted yours that caused a little bit of an interference issue?