Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fan Wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Fan Wiring

I have a Gen I Coyote with 11-14 wiring harness. The wiring manual shows feeding the Ron Francis fuse and relay panel from the Powder Distribution Box of the Ford Harness. Is this necessary or can I just let the Ford Box, which has a fan relay and wiring control the fan?
    If I use the Ford wiring, do I just cap off the Ron Francis fan leads?
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the FF Coyote instructions are a little confusing on this subject. Short answer is for either the Gen 1 or Gen 2 Coyote, the simplest and most reliable choice is to wire the control pack fan control wire directly to the cooling fan and not use the Ron Francis fan leads. The Gen 1 power distribution box is a little less user friendly than the Gen 2 version, and depending on where you mount it, may not be as accessible to service the relay and fuse if needed. That is cited in the instructions as a reason to use the RF panel for the Gen 1. But correctly points out this puts two fuses and relays in the circuit which gives extra failure points.

If you don't use the cooling fan circuit in the RF panel, just pull the relay and fuse and doesn't matter what you do with the wires. They'll be dead. But that's a nice relay powered circuit. Why not use it for something? I used it for the auxiliary power outlets under the dash. Or you could use for other things like fog lights, heated seats, whatever.

There seems to be a third option given for having the engine control the radiator fan. This sounds like using the RF fan circuit with a traditional engine fan sensor switch. Even described as "best." But no further details are given and honestly I'm not sure why you wouldn't want the Coyote PCM to control the fan, no matter which version.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-28-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks edwardb. Your logic makes good sense to me. I was hoping the PDB, since it has a fan circuit, would do the job. I do have heated seats in the plan, so I will surely look into utilizing the RF fan circuit for it. Thanks for making it easy.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you repurpose the RF fan circuit, be sure to change out the fuse to match the load. My fan fuse was 30A - WAY more than you want for seat heaters.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313