Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DS footbox

Post Thanks / Like

DS footbox

Has anyone widened the DS footbox on the engine side with a coyote? I thought I saw something about a mod from King but can't find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forum member 2bking designed modified DS and PS footboxes several years ago. The PS modification was a little similar to one shared on the forum several years before that pushed the front and inside out an inch or so. The DS was the big deal though, and specifically designed to replaced the mod motor sheet metal that Factory Five supplied at that time for use with the Coyote. That older Factory Five design really cut into the available footbox space. King's modified panels restored the lost footspace and still allowed the Coyote to fit. I know the sheet metal well. I used it in my 20th Anniversary Roadster build #8674.

Sometime in late 2015 or 2016, Factory Five released updated sheet metal for the Mk4 Roadster DS that while not exactly like King's, was pretty similar. They also modified the outside of the DS footbox to bump it out as far as it would go inside the body. This revised sheet metal has been standard on Mk4 Roadsters since. Unless yours is more than a couple years old, you already have the latest sheet metal. So no further big wins, sorry. There are minor changes you can make to get a little more space, specifically right around the accelerator pedal. But it's pretty subtle and the trade-off is making the header bolts on the other side even tighter.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have are in the process of building our second and I can tell you that there really isn't any room. 2018-04-29 Foot box clearance question.jpg. We have been asked by a client to investigate a deeper foot box and we anticipate starting that work stream in June as we are pretty busy right now. Our current build (80 day build thread) is also a Coyote though we are not using the FFR headers. The FFR headers required quite of bit of jocking the engine position to get the header output flanges in the right location relative to the body. Hopefully our new headers will fit better. Best of luck.

chris
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I was in Huntington Beach yesterday and was talking to Kevin Beamon "Jazzman" and he mentioned if he could go back and change anything that would be it. He thought he could get a little more room at the corner that hits your calf on your right leg. I thought I saw recently that someone straightened out that bend and gave some relief.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneyarcher1 View Post
    Thanks guys, I was in Huntington Beach yesterday and was talking to Kevin Beamon "Jazzman" and he mentioned if he could go back and change anything that would be it. He thought he could get a little more room at the corner that hits your calf on your right leg. I thought I saw recently that someone straightened out that bend and gave some relief.
    That's a lot different than widening the footbox. Yes, some have complained about that corner. Depends on the person, how they sit, their size, etc. That corner can be softened if it bothers you.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the build thread you're looking for: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Coyote-Build

He starts on the footbox about #28.

As Edward said - most of this mod has been incorporated in FFR footboxes the last few years, but you can look over the build thread for bright ideas.

A lot of us were using similar mods to allow for better access to the rear of the engine (sparkplugs / header bolts) - specifically 351w - again, FFR redesigned the DS footbox since most of these mods were completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the latest and greatest FFR panels and a Coyote, and while it is true that you can't get any more width in the DS foot box at the front near the gas pedal, you can change how the foot box transitions into the transmission tunnel. You can add a few inches of room that will make your right shin very happy, if you have long legs.

More photos in my build thread if this is what you were after.

I have super long legs and this is by far the best mod I did. If you have normal legs and want more room for your feet then this wont help.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    I have the latest and greatest FFR panels and a Coyote, and while it is true that you can't get any more width in the DS foot box at the front near the gas pedal, you can change how the foot box transitions into the transmission tunnel. You can add a few inches of room that will make your right shin very happy, if you have long legs.

More photos in my build thread if this is what you were after.

I have super long legs and this is by far the best mod I did. If you have normal legs and want more room for your feet then this wont help.

-Steve
    Wow! That is really a big improvement!! I really wish that had been a part of my car. You are correct, it does make the transition into the footbox much more comfortable, but I can see that it would give a small amount of extra foot room. At this point, any additional feet room is greatly appreciated, even from those of us that do not have your impressive height!

Great meeting you Saturday!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Steve!

This is exactly what I was looking for, let the modifications begin!

Do you happen to have any templates or measurements that you would be willing to share?
    Last edited by RodneyArcher; 05-01-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneyarcher1 View Post
    Thank you Steve!

This is exactly what I was looking for, let the modifications begin!

Do you happen to have any templates or measurements that you would be willing to share?
    Sorry, I just scoured my garage to see if I saved those templates but they must have hit the trash a while back. I would have gladly mailed you what I had. I posted all the photos I took in the build thread. Manila folders and tape make great templates. Everything else was done with a jig saw and a Harbor Freight 18" break. PM me if you run into problems. I'm up in Bakersfield to see customers occasionally. Happy to help anytime.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for looking, I will go through your photos and see what I can come up with. Next time your in Bakersfield let me know, would love to have another pair of eyes to check on my progress, I will buy lunch!