Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 11th Annual Huntington Beach Cruise-In Report

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

11th Annual Huntington Beach Cruise-In Report

The 2018 Huntington Beach Cruise-In almost didn’t happen! We’ve got so many things going on back at the factory that I reluctantly made the decision to cancel this year’s event. That was before Dave Hodgkins and the Factory Five community stepped up and said, “We can help!” This year’s event was a huge success, and while Factory Five paid for the sign and some incidentals, it was the customers and The Factory Five Forum who stepped up to carry the bulk of the work. So the event that almost didn’t happen became one of the best events of all. Here’s the report from the 11th annual Huntington Beach Cruise-In! Photos by Grant Hodgkins and Deane Beck.

Factory Five guys were lined up and ready before 7 AM. About 100 cars would attend this year’s event.

Factory Five customer Karen Salvaggio brought here #28 Type 65 Coupe and was in charge of registration. Here with Jeff Kleiner who was rocking a vintage Factory Five shirt. Jeff had come from the mid-west (Indiana), and was awarded the 2018 Robert Fedderson Award.

DJ Mike Brassfield has provided music and play-by-play announcing over the years, and always does a great job!

Most cars had arrived by 9 AM, and the first three blocks of Main Street became a pedestrian mall filled with Factory Fives for the entire day.

Factory Five Steve V. drove his newly built 818 all the way down from northern California with a caravan of Factory Five customers. The trip would be his very first in the car. Talk about a shake-down run!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The show officially got underway at 9:00, and the band was playing by mid-morning. Registration tallied close to 100 cars before the pylons went up, and Main Street became a car show.

Attendees had a chance to meet with VIP guest Jo Coddington (second from right). Here with Allen Grant (center), Karen Salvaggio, and Factory Five customers.

The weather was picture perfect. 70* and SoCal sunny!

The majority of the cars at the Cruise-In were Roadsters, but there was a good showing of Hot Rods with some exceptional builds of 818s, GTMs, and a slew of Coupes including two brand-new Gen 3 Coupes.

Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Car Show Award Winners

At 2 PM, car show awards were presented. Judging was done by Factory Five customers.

Best in Show Overall – Kevin Beaman
    Best in Show Runner-Up – Andrew Freesh
    Best in Show Roadster – Saul Sotelo
    Best in Show Roadster Runner-Up – Greg Allen
    Best in Show Type 65 Coupe – Nolan Wright
    Best in Show Type 65 Coupe Runner-Up – Karen Salvaggio
    Best in Show GTM – Michael Bivens
    Best in Show ’33 Hot Rod – Tim Collins
    Best in Show ’33 Hot Rod Runner-Up – Otis Marlow
    Best in Show 818 – Pete Hildt
    Best in Show 818 Runner-Up – Steve Van Lare
    Best in Show Challenge Car – Mark Gearhardt
    Best in Show Challenge Car Runner-Up – TC McNett
    Best Use of Chrome – Bob Warren
    Best Paint – Saul Sotelo
    Best Engine – Richard Serrand
    Best Interior/Details – Andrew Freesh
    Best Under Construction – Steve Traversi
    Most Innovative Design – Jeff McCabe
    Highest Accrued Mileage – Paul Gillespie with 108,000 miles in his Mk1 Roadster
    ReinCarNation Editors’ Choice Award presented by Steve Temple – Kevin Beaman
    Robert Fedderson Memorial Award – Jeff Kleiner

Factory Five Painter Jeff “Da Bat” Miller was on hand and reluctantly accepted recognition from the crowd at the start of the awards presentation. Jeff has painted a tremendous number of Factory Fives, and it seems every other car parked on Main Street during the cruise-in. Jeff is one of the best guys you will ever know.

Factory Five customer Steve Van Lare, forum handle svanlare, with Jo Coddington. Best in Show 818 Runner-Up. Steve is the one who drove his newly-built 818 from NorCal.

Greg Allen and his wife with Jo Coddington win Best in Show Roadster Runner-Up. Earlier in the day, Greg’s wife would corner me and blame me for the fact that she doesn’t have her swimming pool… instead she has a cool green show-winning Roadster and a VERY happy husband! – Dave Smith

Johnny from BluePrint Engines presented the Best Engine award to Richard Serrano.

Factory Five customer Mike Moen (center) and his buddy drove his Coupe from New York in a re-creation of the famous Cannonball Run!

Mark Gearhardt wins Best in Show Challenge Car.

Saul Sotelo earned Best in Show Roadster AND Best Paint!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tim Collins drove with his wife all the way down from Michigan to win Best in Show ’33 Hot Rod.

Steve Temple from ReinCarNation gave an Editor’s Choice Award to Kevin Beaman.

Best in Show GTM went to Michael Bivens.

Additional Event Photos!

By mid-day, Main Street, Huntington Beach was crowded with customers and spectators.

The Huntington Beach Cruise-In is a great place to see truly innovative takes on a classic.

Hot Rod Magazine writer Mark Gearhardt built this street racer Mk4 that has been shown at SEMA 2016 and 2017!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME!!!!! AHHHHHH!

GORGEOUS CARS!

EVERY...

SINGLE...

ONE!!!

SIGN ME UP FOR NEXT YEAR'S RUN!

NorCal Run Time...?
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talk about innovation! Factory Five customer Jeff McCabe’s all-electric Mk4 Roadster.

Coupes had a strong presence at this year’s Cruise-In.

Above & Below: Two stunning copper colored cars: Type 65 Coupe and Mk4 Roadster.

Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Above & Below: This red Roadster incorporated an innovative tilt nose and was owned by customer Kevin Beaman.

Above & Below: Factory Five customer Tim Collins brought his Hot Rod all the way from Oxford, MI! His craftsmanship earned his Best in Show ’33 Hot Rod and his metal work earned him praise from everyone!

Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Above & Below: Tim’s interior of his ’33 Hot Rod was incredible. Below with Jo Coddington.

Shelby Team race driver Allen Grant was on hand for the show.

Nolan Wright brought his newly built/re-built Factory Five Gen 3 Coupe that had been featured in Hot Rod Magazine!

Charles Rogers brought his sweetheart to Huntington Beach along with his wife. Just kidding! Charles’ orange and cream Hot Rod was a family build, and his 9-year-old son picked out the colors (impressive 9-year-old).
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The awards presentation was held on Main Street at 2 PM.

Johnny from BluePrint Engines with Factory Five Challenge Series Racer TC McNett.

Wilwood Brakes was on hand to show off their latest offerings. Wilwood has been a great partner of Factory Five.

Factory Five customer James Auburn and his wife built this beautiful red Mk4 Roadster. James has two sons who serve as F-18 fighter pilots in the U.S. Air Force!

It may not be a Factory Five, but I’m pretty sure he’ll be driving one years from now!

Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Grant Hodgkins designed the logo for this year’s Cruise-In.

The Cruise-In is about fellowship and good times. Deane Beck (second from right) contributed many of the photos in this story.

Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe-R.

Even the gauges had stripes!

Jeff Kleiner (center with microphone) with Jo Coddington, Dave Hodgkins, Karen Salvaggio, and Dave Smith is presented with the Robert Fedderson Award.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

4 PM was the end of the car show and the beginning of food and drinks!

As I sat at the “Long Border” where 24 years ago I conceived the idea that would become Factory Five Racing, it was hard not to be proud of the company. The cars are indeed a great testament to so much work by so many people, but the lasting legacy of Factory Five was on full display on Main Street, and that is friendship. I love coming back to HB where this whole journey began. I love spending a day with so many hardcore west coast customers (and some from Canada, Michigan, and New York!), and I love having a few beers at the end of the car show.

We’ll be back next year for the 12th annual event!

I left on a red-eye flight back to New England Saturday night. Last stop: In-N-Out Burgers. I love SoCal!

P.S. – Apologies in advance to SO MANY people who I did not have a chance to meet with, post pictures of, or give credit to. It’s an amazing event, and too much for one person to cover. See you next year!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

Thanks to you and all your crew for giving us all something to celebrate!

I was happy to hold down the fort. How will you top it next year! Can I help?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

I Just Wanna Go Fast
    Post Thanks / Like
    We would like to add our thanks to Dave Hodgkins too ! Not only did he and his wife Lesa host the cool Cruise to Crevier Classic Cars and spectacular BBQ, but stayed up until 2:30 am (with daughter Colette and son Grant) to assemble the welcome packets for all the entrants.
    Karen Salvaggio, BaLinda McNett, Lesa, Colette & Grant were up before dawn to make sure the registration went off without a hitch. No easy task ! TC McNett worked all morning with Doug Deffebach, using their expertise staging the cars. The hit of the day was Dave Hodgkins singing with the band. Definitely a new career as a Rock Star. We were impressed ! Great Show, Thanks to the efforts of The Forum. Looking forward to next year ! Deke & Corrin Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another nice write up on the Huntington Beach Cruise In from ReinCarNation magazine.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Great show. great weekend !
    This was my first Cruize-In and it was great meeting and seeing so many builders .

David thank you for saving this years event and inviting myself and everyone else into your house the night before !

Thank you Dave Smith for making such a great platform to build upon. It puts a huge smile on my face every time I put my foot in it

Hope to see you all again

Jeff McCabe
    Last edited by jmccabe; 05-02-2018 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post

4 PM was the end of the car show and the beginning of food and drinks!

As I sat at the “Long Border” where 24 years ago I conceived the idea that would become Factory Five Racing, it was hard not to be proud of the company. The cars are indeed a great testament to so much work by so many people, but the lasting legacy of Factory Five was on full display on Main Street, and that is friendship. I love coming back to HB where this whole journey began. I love spending a day with so many hardcore west coast customers (and some from Canada, Michigan, and New York!), and I love having a few beers at the end of the car show.

We’ll be back next year for the 12th annual event!

I left on a red-eye flight back to New England Saturday night. Last stop: In-N-Out Burgers. I love SoCal!

P.S. – Apologies in advance to SO MANY people who I did not have a chance to meet with, post pictures of, or give credit to. It’s an amazing event, and too much for one person to cover. See you next year!
    Love standing across the street from that In and Out watching the planes come in!!
    Higgy

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another shot of our Factory Five Forum administrator Dave Hodgkins performing at the Cruise-In.

Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Who knew that Dave Hodgkins was a rock n roller! HUGE credit to Dave and his family for keeping the lights on at this year's cruise-in. I don't know how many of you know this, but this is the second time he has rescued the event. Back about 8 years ago our truck driver overslept and we got in the way of the next day's crafts fair and were told we wouldnt be able to have the plaza back. Dave went to the town and hosted a cruise-in down the beach to get us back in good graces with the town. Like so many people in the FFR community, Dave does a ton for people that flies under the radar. That goes for people like Deke and Corrin Brown, Doug Deffenbach, Mike Brassfield, and so many others. Still, none of us knew that Dave gave up his spot as lead singer of the goo goo dolls for his gig here on the forum!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    See, now THAT'S the shot I was looking for.

You guys can keep your little car hobby, I'm hittin' the road.

Yeah. I'm gonna be a rock star.

Only one problem. I don't look like this anymore:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    GTM pics! I know we're a minority here but a proud bunch haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    See, now THAT'S the shot I was looking for.

You guys can keep your little car hobby, I'm hittin' the road.

Yeah. I'm gonna be a rock star.

Only one problem. I don't look like this anymore:

Nice "Flock of Seagulls" hair do! I love it!! I was never even remotely that cool! You've still got it David!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan