Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trailer Hitch for Roadster

Post Thanks / Like

Trailer Hitch for Roadster

Looking for help from anyone towing a trailer with a Cobra. We are contemplating only towing 500-750#. Customer support said they had no info, as they don't recommend towing. They said it might be ok if the rear subframe was reinforced. Looking for any experience in this area.

Thanks
    gjadams00

Post Thanks / Like
    tcollins put a hitch on his 33 hot rod. His build thread is "#438 Build Summary" on the 33 forum.
    Not the same as the roadster but he might have some useful information for you.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    If Factory Five is recommending you don't.. then maybe... you don't...?

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD... and a 33 Coupe is a whole different car than a Roadster.

My 2 cents: revert to the advice of those who developed the vehicle. Ya know?
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2022 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think it could be feasible, if you ran a substantial connector between the two side 2x3's and hung a hitch off that. The 3/4" tubing would need to be replaced. Maybe for a very small teardrop or cargo trailer. Not a 2" hitch, the one below that.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it done before, but it's been a while.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember a photo in one of the gearhead magazines where a guy made a trailer out of the back 1/2 of another Cobra replica body...
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Hare are a couple of examples.

CH1.JPGCH2.JPG
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone has a different opinion on style. For me, putting a trailer on a Cobra is a bunch of work and....... it just looks bad. I do a lot of touring. I've learned to pack efficiently. The topic of a trailer came up one time and my short answer was "sorry, it can't be done". Phew. Dodged that bullet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I needed to add a gas tank guard. Engineer doing the inspection wanted square 2" by 2" tubing, 3/16" wall. I have that on the rear of my Cobra and it could easily be used as a trailer hitch for 500 to 750 pounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Understandably FFR doesn't want to be even remotely associated with liability arising from modifications to their structure hence their recommendation.

It has been done a number of times. Wade Chamberlain did a hitch for his tire trailer and towed it all around the northeast for a decade or more (photos are on this or the other forum but might take some deep searching). After we lost Wade Mark Dougherty inherited his old trailer, recreated the hitch and has towed it cross country. My Florida buddies Dave McIlvanie and John Phillips both towed tire and bike trailers thousands of miles all over the country. These are just guys I know and I'm sure there are others. There's going to be at least one more...later this year while I have the body off of a customer's Mk4 for paint it will be getting one of a similar design and we'll be sure to post lots of pics.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Search the other forum. There were 4-5 of them in the DC area that guys towed tire trailers with. I know one welded 1x2 rectangular tubing to the outside surface of the 2x2 longitudinal tubes. It hung down at maybe a 45 deg angle (in side view) so it ended up up allowing another piece of tube to be welded between the first two which was just under the aluminum that is under the trunk latch bolt. He then made a J shaped piece that was either welded or bolted to that cross tube. The hitch ball was attached to the J.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a thread from the other forum: It looks as though someone used a hitch designed for a Toyota Yaris and bolted it in place with a little adjustment.
    Cheap Trailer Hitch Option
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the above Thread saved as a Word doc from way back. I can see the pics but can't move them anywhere to post them directly so here are cell camera versions taken from my monitor. The Yaris hitch
    20180504_073646 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    The ball mount
    20180504_073653 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roadster Mk3 5294, 302 Comp XE276HR cam, AFR 185 heads, 650 Quick fuel carb, Air Gap intake, T-5 3.55 gear Levy Upper & Lower Front and Rear control arms Purch Jan 2008 Tagged Mar 2012 Best ET 12.14 @113** SOLD 4/8/18 **
    YouTube Videos: Current performance - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c...86xO3U4l4RtVMQ Older build - http://www.youtube.com/user/joeembery#p/u My Pics:
    http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Joe...?sort=6&page=1