Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake Dust

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Dust

Have the FFR supplied front brakes, rear brakes from Forte and I can't believe the amount of brake dust after just a couple of hundred miles! Suggestions on replacements that have less dust and stop better? Brand & part numbers would be great, I have standard brakes, no power assist!
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Bedding of the pads and rotors will produce more dust than after. Give them a chance, if still too much, I am sure you will get some recommendations.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience "Less dust and stop better" is generally mutually exclusive.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I got ~150miles on my go cart and see the same thing. I kinda like it....wroom wroom
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Armor-All "Outlast Brake Dust Repellent" http://www.armorall.com/products/whe...dust-repellent
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Bedding of the pads and rotors will produce more dust than after. Give them a chance, if still too much, I am sure you will get some recommendations.
    Agreed, clean up and possibly try a wheel sealant to keep the brake dust off and see if it settles down. I expect a lot of what you are seeing if from bedding the brake pads and you will see less dust in the future.

I also agree the short stopping and low dust don't often go hand and hand. On BMWs, a lot of people like to use Cool Carbon pads for low brake dust. However, if you take them to the track you will glaze the pads and need to replace them. They just don't stand up to heat too well.

Post Thanks / Like
    have the same issue with Wilwood brakes. Decided to embrace it and now consider car washing therapeutic. Use Optima no rinse wash-n-wax so its not too big a deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like others have stated, you can have stopping power OR low dust. Not both. Also, If your pads are wearing less, your rotors are wearing more.

That said, the FFR supplied Wilwoods are not too bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    Check out Armor-All "Outlast Brake Dust Repellent" http://www.armorall.com/products/whe...dust-repellent
    +1 been wiping the wheels clean with a paper shop towel.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed EBC blue stuff pads they stop much better than the pads that came with the kit

They have a high coefficient of friction and produce about 1/3 of the dust

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    +3 on the Armorall. It really helps. One other help is a dedicated small shop vac.
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-four-...4&blockType=G4
    I use the small round brush attachment. Also I hose clamped an old sock on the exhaust to be sure I am not spraying dust around.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    ITchief---thanks for the info, do you run power brakes?

Post Thanks / Like
    No just the dual willwood masters that came with the complete kit

With the EBC pads I am very happy with the way the brakes perform with the stoptech pads I had a very tough time trying to lock up the brakes now I can lock up all four with no problem

Rick
    Last edited by Itchief; 05-17-2018 at 08:59 PM.
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater