Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Now that it’s getting warm, let’s talk about heaters!

Post Thanks / Like

Now that it’s getting warm, let’s talk about heaters!

I saw a thread somewhere that suggested installing the heater vents and hoses before completing the dash wiring. I think that makes a lot of sense, and that’s where I am. (I have a fair amount to update on my log, but that will need to wait a bit longer) So….

If you have a heater, where did you mount the vents? Got any photos of where you mounted them? The instructions are pretty vague, but that’s OK as there are likely a number of possible locations. I’d appreciate seeing what you did!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I ditched the defroster vents & ducts, and ran two vents to each upper-rear foot box. The one morning that we actually hit 38 deg F, they worked pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Not trying to derail your idea.. but.. thought I'd share this.
    I ditched the idea of heating in the car.. in favor of one of these electric vests.
    This winter I drove to work a few days in the low 30s and was comfortable. That vest , and a decent sized jacket, and I was toasty.
    https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/hotwi...ted-inner-vest
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Skidd, but too late. The heater element is already installed. Just need to install the vents and hoses. Boat737 has some good ideas - hoping others will chime in!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post
    Not trying to derail your idea.. but.. thought I'd share this.
    I ditched the idea of heating in the car.. in favor of one of these electric vests.
    This winter I drove to work a few days in the low 30s and was comfortable. That vest , and a decent sized jacket, and I was toasty.
    https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/hotwi...ted-inner-vest
    Skid,
    Glad to hear your success with the heated vest. I’m a cold wimp, but didn’t want the complications of the heater, so have been looking at the heated clothing for the motorcycle crowd. Looks very promising. Any special considerations for wiring,....driver and passenger?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree boat737 I put two vents in each foot box and skipped the defrost vents

I like having the extra heat on cold days

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a complete under-dash panel that extends the full width of the dash. I installed the DS vent in the dash panel, just to the inside of the steering column and it has a round directional vent so I can point it in any direction or turn it side ways and shut it off completely. This works well, I can turn the passenger side off when I don't have a passenger or shut mine off and give it all to my wife (passenger). (I call it my Balls' Warmer) What REALLY increased the efficiency though was last year before we went to Arkansas for 4 days at the end of October, I purchased a section of fleece from a local fabric store, folded it in half and had my wife sew it together and add a length-wise strip of velcro to one end. Then I stuck a strip on Velcro to my under-dash panel, which allows me to effectively seal off each footbox. My feet were toasty when we pulled off the parking lot Sunday morning @ 24*!! It works GREAT.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the heater with defrost vents and they have come in handy when driving with the top on during heavy rain. Although, I find a towel works pretty good also. Its awfully tight for room behind the dash. I have the Coyote PDB in there also so its not an eye sore in the engine compartment. The defrost vents are mounted about 6 inches off the car center line. The compartment heat ball turrets were mounted as per the instructions. I installed the heater unit, completed the dash wiring then installed the heater ducting and vents. In hind sight, it may have been easier to get the ducts and vents installed before all the wires.

Like Skidd, I too have an electric motorcycle vent which has come in handy on a number of occasions touring early in the AM. The car seats have Cobra Heat heating pads installed too. Much like an activity in the outdoors, dressing properly and in layers is the best defense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 42Bfast View Post
    Skid,
    Glad to hear your success with the heated vest. I’m a cold wimp, but didn’t want the complications of the heater, so have been looking at the heated clothing for the motorcycle crowd. Looks very promising. Any special considerations for wiring,....driver and passenger?
    Nothing overly fancy needed. I already had intended to install a somewhat hidden Accessory power box for both USB and a CigLighter outlet. It's self-contained inside a small aluminum box and tucked just up under the dash almost out of sight.

Currently , I have just the one vest, but it uses a standard .. I think 2.5mm, perhaps 2.1mm, power jack. It'll be trivial for me to add a "Y" adapter to the cigarette plug adapter. I had thought about getting an electric blanket for my wife for longer cold drives, but.. not sure what to get yet. My accessory outlet is raited for 30A (wire and fuse) so I'll have no trouble powering up what ever heated accessories I need. I think if I remember correctly, that vest above draws about 8A.
    You know.. those vestrs are on discount right now. I should buy one for my wife now and be done with it!
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    MPTech, Got any photos of your panel?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can see what I did by just running a hose from one defroster duct (I don't use a defroster) to the driver side footbox. Click this link http://www.weendoggy.com/body.htm#backbone and scroll down about four rows of pictures and you'll see what I did. There's more closeup's of the area in this area http://www.weendoggy.com/wiring.htm#rewire
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm