Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Mk4 VPM 3link rear bar set up

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 VPM 3link rear bar set up

My VPM rear sway bar is going to show up today and I was wondering where a decent starting point is for setting up this bar since it is very adjustable. I’m using the FFR front bar with stock 500, 350 spring rates for the moment. I intend to do a lot of tracking of the car so grip bears more weight in my set up then ride quality. I plan on doing some adjustable shocks and stiffer springs but I want to get the car out as it is before making the switch.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Set it at full soft to start. And get some 6-700 front springs.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I throw some stiffer 600-700 lb springs in the front Then I assume that should I put the 500 front springs in the back to stiffen it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO, I would leave the rear springs for now. That is what the bar is for. Ideally it would be nice to have a little understeer at full soft and be able to go to slight oversteer by stiffening the VPM bar. BTW, it is fairly easy to make it quickly adjustable. I welded a fender washer under the head of the bolt. Then bent one side of the washer over the edge of the aluminum block. Some one else drilled through the block and bolt near the head of bolt, then put a cotter key or similar in the hole. Buy a gear wrench for the nut. get the type that the head does not flex.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/GearWrenc...Point/16474576
    I wipe the portion of the bar where it slides w/ some gear oil on a rag. Keeps it from rusting and allows the block to slide easily. This makes it easy to adjust w/o any need to jack up the car. Just lay on the ground and reach around the back of the tire w/ one hand.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ed Hunter, an FFR owner and an American Iron racer gave me some great advice. He said to adjust the front to reduce body roll and adjust the rear bar to tune over/understeer. I ended up with the front set to the second to hardest setting and the rear set pretty soft.
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

6. Likes Geoff H liked this post